Opinions on fridges (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why dose it have to be so complicated 🤷‍♂️
I have been using a ARB 50 QT for the last 6 years, I run it off a dedicated ARB power port wired 30 Amp fuse in my Blue seas fuse panel with the proper size wire.
I run a single group 31 Odyssey Battery.
I'm usually out 3-4 days I have sat in camp running the fridge for up to 2.5 days and the rig has always started !!
I like the KISS plan Keep is simple stupid.

The Battery is now 5 years old now and I was just out with the fridge for 4 day two week ago !!

And no I did not run the numbers, I just know it works !!
Where are you camping? I doubt it’s south of the Mason Dixon line. There is no way my fridge would run on that battery for 4 days in Texas heat.

Where are you camping? I doubt it’s south of the Mason Dixon line. There is no way my fridge would run on that battery for 4 days in Texas heat.
And to what temp do you have the fridge/freezer set?

Dr. Google tells me that the 50QT arb consumes about 50% more power than my dometic.

Dr. Google tells me that the 50QT arb consumes about 50% more power than my dometic.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but this is more like a 13% difference isn’t it? Maybe I’m looking at the wrong models. Either way, real world experience camping at big bend and other hot southern locations has shown me that getting past two days with a 100 ah lifepo4 battery is questionable.

IMG_1478.png

IMG_1477.png

Correct me if I’m wrong, but this is more like a 13% difference isn’t it? Maybe I’m looking at the wrong models. Either way, real world experience camping at big bend and other hot southern locations has shown me that getting past two days with a 100 ah lifepo4 battery is questionable.

View attachment 3447900

View attachment 3447901
I was basing my loose math on what I saw on this web page review of the ARB.
Techlab says the ARB consumes 64.3watts.
In my testing of my Dometic, I find that it consumes about 40watts.
Hence the 50% I mentioned above.

Though, admittedly, this is based on very limited data points.
And I can not say what temps (internal and external) were used by Techlab. Though I guess they do probably give their testing procedure somewhere on that review.

Fair enough
There’s no way I would camp in the Texas heat😂

I camp in the Sierras average temperatures
75 to 85 degrees.
I also use the insulated cover.
I set the temperature to 35°
But I also start in a deficit as I run extreme trails and tow my rig on a trailer to the trail head which means the rig is sitting on the trailer in 100° plus weather with out AC as I cross the Central Valley.
Usually the better part of the first Day.
I would add that the odyssey group 31 is one kick ass battery, I don’t remember the specs offhand, but I’m pretty sure it packs more than any of those power boxes.

Why dose it have to be so complicated 🤷‍♂️
I have been using a ARB 50 QT for the last 6 years, I run it off a dedicated ARB power port wired 30 Amp fuse in my Blue seas fuse panel with the proper size wire.
I run a single group 31 Odyssey Battery.
I'm usually out 3-4 days I have sat in camp running the fridge for up to 2.5 days and the rig has always started !!
I like the KISS plan Keep is simple stupid.

The Battery is now 5 years old now and I was just out with the fridge for 4 day two week ago !!

And no I did not run the numbers, I just know it works !!
My setup is to support camping, the fridge being only one component. If I were only interested in powering a fridge it would likely be different. However, the more you power, the longer you are out and the number of contingencies you want to cover means more components.A modular system like I have means you can carve out what you need if you want to copy or improve it. I honestly think it's rather simple.

At some point I'll probably upgrade the alternator to power a larger inverter or a travel trailer under tow. Complex? I haven't even started.:D

As an engineer by formal training I know something works only after I run the numbers. I just can't help it.;)

You may want to look at these, as they are an inexpensive lithium option.

40 ah is same as any AGM, plus it is lithium so charges back up fast. It also has a big brother 138ah.
Combined with a solar panel will run that fridge 24/7.
or if you drive a little each day, as 20 or 40 amp dc to dc charger to the battery will also keep you going 24/7.

My setup is to support camping, the fridge being only one component. If I were only interested in powering a fridge it would likely be different. However, the more you power, the longer you are out and the number of contingencies you want to cover means more components.A modular system like I have means you can carve out what you need if you want to copy or improve it. I honestly think it's rather simple.

At some point I'll probably upgrade the alternator to power a larger inverter or a travel trailer under tow. Complex? I haven't even started.:D

As an engineer by formal training I know something works only after I run the numbers. I just can't help it.;)
On my last trip I was on fordyce Trail know as the hardest trail on the Wast Coast. I snipped both front RCV axle I had to rely on the same single battery to run my winch to winch through some of the toughest trail anywhere. Manny long pulls over a day and a half. The hole time with the fridge running as will as every other accessory on the rig.
Then I put the rig on the trailer with the fridge still run while we camped that night, all the next day while we drove home through 100 degrees weather when I got home that night I was beat after the hole ordeal and just backed into the drive way and left the rig on the trailer with the fridge running tell the next morning.
The Rig fired right up after 36 hours of the fridge running and a good 12 of them in 100 degrees with on AC.
I know something works after real life testing !!

I get it, I know that running a simple system ( one battery no solar ) isn't for everybody but it works for me.

I also know that what the numbers tell you isn't always the same as what you get in real life !!

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom