Ironman front bumper installation tips, along with recovery point and Badland APEX 12K winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm working to get the Ironman front bumper installed on my 04 LX470, along with the cheap ebay recovery points, and Badland APEX 12K winch.

Since Ironman didn't provide clear enough information/parts, I have to keep searching for answers on IH8Mud, Youtube, and other source. My limited searching skill didn't find a similar threads in mud. So starting this thread to summary my findings and hope it may help other people. Feel free to report if you think my thread is superfluous or misleading or whatever reason one might be offended.

1. U Channel Spacers
There are couple issues with the U Channel Spacer provided by Ironman (See Step 6. on Page 3 of the installation instruction). The first issue is that the provided spacers are not high enough. So to get the chassis bracket sit flat on top of the chassis, there is still gap between the spacer and the bottom of the chassis. IMHO as a safety concern, the chassis bracket has to sit flat on top of the chassis. To fill in the gap, I have to home-made a 4mm thick spacer (5mm should work but may make it a little bit difficult to align the holes as it might be to tight).

2. Bolts for recovery points
All bolts provided by Ironman are class 8.8. I agree with most people here in mud that class 10.9 should be used, as a cheap safety insurance. Actually the bolts coming with the cheap ebay recovery points are 10.9 but not long enough for installation with the bumper.

Per my research, it seems most people get 100mm length bolts for the recovery point installation along with the bumper. However, I believe 100mm is a little bit too long , per my measurement, with the concern it may not have enough thread portion. So I reuse the two factory M14-1.5X80mm bolts from the passenger side securing the factory recovery hook and tie down eye, which have washers attached. And I purchased another two of class 10.9 M14-1.5X90mm bolts, two of class 10 M14 flat washers, and two of M14 spring washers from local ACE. Yes, the provided washers by Ironman are too large to fit.

3. Torque
Ironman installation instruction only says: "9. Tighten all bolts" without specifying the torque. I just can't believe that. It's a serious safety concern!!! I saw friend's bumper got pulled away during a simple winching out. Somehow I pick the magic 110 lb-ft (Don't ask me why :).

So I got the middle bolt to 110 lb-ft without issue. However, while trying to get the most in-ward bolt to 110 lb-ft, I soon realized that I must run into issue, as I just keep tightening which seems endless. I stopped and inspected, and, no surprise to find the chassis bracket was bent by the bolt!!! Remember the U Channel spacer? So there is no enough support at the chassis bracket opening because the space must be placed with the flat side up. For now, I downgrade the torque to 90 lb-ft which seems doable without benting.

P.S. I don't take the blame for benting the bracket and I believe it's Ironman's fault not to provide the required torque spec but just saying "Tighten all bolts."!

20230829_083755.jpg

4. To be updated while continuing the installation......

Last edited:
Yeah, cheap stuffs run fast. Last time they had 2 left and I and another mudder grabbed them quickly. You will have to keep eye on them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom