operation100series: Reviving a rough 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thanks for the heads up on the DTD ebay deal. Scored a set of 31x10.5x15's on the cheap for my daughter's 1976 ford supercab. :)

This is an awesome thread. I love seeing any 100 series build thread but there is something great about seeing one restored from being trashed and not taken care of to making it look very nice and restored. I see you are in Nashville. I lived in Hendersonville at one time. I have subscribed and can't wait to see more updates on this rig.

Thanks! I’m super excited for continuing to work on this one. I’m pretty sure it was used as a cattle trailer at one point in its life. When I got it the rear body mount access holes in the back were full of pine needles and water. It smelled like a farm in there too!

So I’m not a huge fan of chrome at all. Working for another manufacturer gave me the idea of painting over the fake chrome grill with silver. I really like the way that it turned out and think that it classes this big girl up a bit.

Chz3GAh.jpg

The day after I did this, I made a trip to Woolys Off Road Park in middle TN for a quick trail run. What was supposed to be a quick, harmless day ended up in a trip home on a trailer due to a fan bracket with a completely shot bearing.

eWtwMTs.jpg

ofwLikn.jpg

DGldsXC.jpg

pqRgnMd.jpg

For those that are still reading, change out your fan bracket when you do your timing belt. The fan bracket is much more involved than I would have thought it to be, and being that they aren’t terribly expensive, it’s cheap maintenance. I was very lucky in that mine didn’t separate and send the fan into the radiator. It just got wobbly enough to slip the belt. The truck is back up and running now so it is ready for the next journey.

That looks like it fits really well. Did you have factory leather underneath? I may need to shim mine up a bit as I no longer have any factory leather.

Yes, mine still has factory leather underneath. This probably wouldn't work well with the factory leather already gone.

DGldsXC.jpg

pqRgnMd.jpg

For those that are still reading, change out your fan bracket when you do your timing belt. The fan bracket is much more involved than I would have thought it to be, and being that they aren’t terribly expensive, it’s cheap maintenance. I was very lucky in that mine didn’t separate and send the fan into the radiator. It just got wobbly enough to slip the belt. The truck is back up and running now so it is ready for the next journey.[/QUOTE]

Wish I'd gotten this memo about 2 months ago when mine had the fan bracket go out - I never knew there was so much to it, and it went out right after my timing belt was changed. So I essentially paid for the same labor twice...

DGldsXC.jpg

pqRgnMd.jpg

For those that are still reading, change out your fan bracket when you do your timing belt. The fan bracket is much more involved than I would have thought it to be, and being that they aren’t terribly expensive, it’s cheap maintenance. I was very lucky in that mine didn’t separate and send the fan into the radiator. It just got wobbly enough to slip the belt. The truck is back up and running now so it is ready for the next journey.

Wish I'd gotten this memo about 2 months ago when mine had the fan bracket go out - I never knew there was so much to it, and it went out right after my timing belt was changed. So I essentially paid for the same labor twice...[/QUOTE]

I was in a similar boat. Timing belt just completed a few months earlier, half the components have to come back off for the fan bracket. I ended up doing the fan bracket myself in the driveway but it wasn’t fun.

UPDATE:

I’ve been looking for a solution to terrible front seats for quite a while now. I had read about the sometimes questionable customer service of certain companies and really didn’t have time to mess with it. I really liked the Wet Okoles, but remembered long trips in my dads FJ Cruiser fitted with Wet Okoles and how the swamp a** was strong, so I didn’t want to mess with those either. I really wanted something that matched the second row, as my second row was in much better condition than my first row. Pictures below of my drivers seat before:

IPE3GTv.jpg

The driver’s seat had definitely seen much better days. The passenger seat had began gardening and had one good sized crack in it as well. I was looking through Instagram one day and found a company called Cerullo Performance Seating and that they were working on matching leather seat covers for the 100 Series (Land Cruiser and LX470 both), so I reached out to them. I ended up with one of the first sets and must say I’m very impressed. Install was a little bit tougher than your average Walmart slip cover, but that is to be expected with how these fit. The fitment is great, and has only gotten better as the truck interior heats up and cools off from the sun and normal driving.

EaBEE6w.jpg

Overall quality is outstanding and the material feels like it will be super durable as well, so that’s nice to those of us coming from the abnormally frail 100 series seats. The back of the seats is even cooler, with a pocket and a Molle strap on digital camo backing. I can’t say this would have been my first choice, but I actually really like it now that it’s in the truck and the browns tend to blend well.

TIppCjW.jpg

Overall, I’m extremely pleased with the quality and ease of this modification. I’m especially excited that I’m no longer being torched by the seat heater on it’s high setting (from the heating pad touching my thigh directly). I will post more updates as the covers continue to temperature cycle and get worn in.

Seat covers can be ordered through Toyota 100 Series Lexus LX470

Covers look very good.
What is the price ? their website don't see to include pricing

Covers look very good.
What is the price ? their website don't see to include pricing
The price on them is $500. I figure that’s a little on the high range for seat covers, but these aren’t a low end or mid range product. The construction is outstanding and they automatically match the rest of the vehicle too.

Those do look very sharp. I know this is an old thread but after having driven around with my beautiful wet okoles for 6 months I am wishing I had something different but I wasn't comfortable with which route to go either and wet okoles had a great reputation and I LOVE the front pockets. Dont get me wrong they make the seats look waaaaay better but the swamp ass IS a real thing🤭 especially this time of year. They're also not the easiest to keep clean even with their cleaner I have to really get after it.
I'm thinking those vinyl Cerullos would be an easier clean. Did you get the vinyl or leather, looks like they do both.
Thanks

Last edited:
Those do look very sharp. I know this is an old thread but after having driven around with my beautiful wet okoles for 6 months I am wishing I had something different but I wasn't comfortable with which route to go either and wet okoles had a great reputation and I LOVE the front pockets. Dont get me wrong they make the seats look waaaaay better but the swamp ass IS a real thing🤭 especially this time of year. They're also not the easiest to keep clean even with their cleaner I have to really get after it.
I'm thinking those vinyl Cerullos would be an easier clean. Did you get the vinyl or leather, looks like they do both.
Thanks
Thanks for the revive! I need to get back on and update this thread. I’m pretty sure that mine are the vinyls. They’ve been great and only recently started showing some wear. I’ll get some updated photos in here this week. Would definitely still recommend though.

Thanks for the revive! I need to get back on and update this thread. I’m pretty sure that mine are the vinyls. They’ve been great and only recently started showing some wear. I’ll get some updated photos in here this week. Would definitely still recommend though.
Good deal👍I'm just north of Nashville myself...I found an old unmarked road the other day between Ashland City and Nashville and ended up going up and over quite the ridgeline. Been studying GAIA looking for trails but haven't seen much other than LBL remotely close
Think I'm gonna get my globes swapped out and fluid replaced, then ball joints before replacing the pretty new W.Okoles.
I still see a set of those Cerullos in my future though.

Last edited:
WOW! Great job on the truck and I’m loving your new seat covers. So glad I stumbled across your thread. I’m not looking for seat covers for my cruiser just yet, but husband badly needs covers for his truck and I have yet to find any that look this good!
Would love to see updated photos of how your truck is coming along!

We moved to California!

I’m an automotive engineer and anyone keeping an eye on the industry knows how exciting it is right now. Tons of new options, electrification all over the place, and tons of ingenuity are giving us some of the best vehicles we have ever seen. Because of all of this, I interviewed with a different OEM than I worked for in Tennessee, got the job, and relocated to California. I drove the cruiser across the country and it handled it flawlessly other than some atrocious fuel mileage. Enjoy the pictures below!

6FB6D4C0-75AF-48C3-B15C-DB2D326AF05B.jpeg

AA66C492-A53A-4A10-ADE0-2ADA8B1E0C47.jpeg

686D39A7-1A06-4444-B749-9319D3B2A61C.jpeg

F8EF0FC4-B9BF-4263-A0D8-42BDFD904F09.jpeg

11A0918D-4944-46A8-9D4B-A81B05EA7322.jpeg

Well I guess you gotta change your name...congrats on the job. The cruiser is looking great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom