Open sunroof during rain storm... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just found out today that I left my truck parked since Monday with the sunroof about 1/3 open. During that time two good rain storms have come through and soaked my interior. :crybaby: I found about a half inch of water in my center console bin. My leather seats seemed rather dry and stiff. Most of the carpet on the floor was damp to the touch.

What should I be worried about?

I found a few threads on leatherique which seems like the best stuff for the seats.

Any modules or other electronics on the floor I should check?

Thanks,

Totally remove and dry all wet interior parts made of foam or cloth, including carpets and the insulation underneath. Otherwise you are going to get some nasty mildew. If the seats are wet under the leather that needs to be addressed also.

Dry it as fast as possible, a small electric room heater and a couple of fans work well. Warm it up with a couple of windows slightly open, run them until it's completely dry.

No kidding, I'd find an air-conditioned garage in a newer housing development and park it in there, windows down, with the a/c on for a day or two to dry it out. If not that, then drive around with the a/c on recirc for a long time to dry the inside out.

By the way I think 1/2 inch is about all the center console holds, based on several "oops" in my 80 with spilled water, beach trips etc.

Good luck,

David

Last edited:
You need to worry about where you live. For a SoCal boy like me rain in June is anathma. But seriously, dry it quick and if it smells indicationg mold apply a fungacide (but no caustic cleaners) quickly. My wife one spilt a gallon of milk in the back seat and left it there over the weekend. Now that's a real problem!

Biggest concern is the foam and carpet, like the others have said. Dry it Quick....if it sits too long the smell will really kick in and you'll have to say good by to that whole section of carpet. Really try and avoid mold and fungus growth. I had my rear cargo area get wet from a broken bag of ice and avoided it for a week. Took several sessions with different products and the wet/dry to solve the problem. Good Luck

-Sam-

Leatherique will work wonders on dry leather. It will take more than one application on your 80 due to the spray-on die that Toyota used for the leather. I would address the wet carpet and other items first, then worry about the dry leather.

Leatherique works best when applied liberally with your vehicle parked out in the hot sun. I have even put black trash bags over the front seats to absorb more heat and hold the product in better. This will help open up the "pores" in the leather to take in the treatment. The bag also allows you to sit on your seat if you need to move it to keep it in the sun. I bought a pack of empty spray bottles from Sam's club and used the spray heads on the Leatherique bottles. A pair of latex gloves is usefull for rubbing the product all over the seats. Be sure to use the conditioner treatment first and the cleaner second, as Leatherique suggests. It seems backwards at first, but the conditioner brings a lot of dirt, salts, etc. out of the leather. The cleaner will then remove this and the excess conditioner from the surface.

Use a wet/dry shop vac to suck the water from all carpeting material. Then dry out the interior as others have suggested. Good luck.

Vac up what you can, rent a dehumidifier and park it in garage for a couple days with DH running.

My office leaks when extreme rain hits...this tactic works well. :D

Bruneti said:
Leatherique will work wonders on dry leather. .

Are you talking about the REJUVINATOR OIL?

Just put old newspapers on the floor and change them when they get wet on top. Your carpets and adjoining material should dry in a few hours, depending on how religiously you change the papers. You'll probably consume a small pile depending on how wet the carpets are.

Kalawang

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom