ONSC standardized comms (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just saw this new Rocky Talkie brand 5 watt GMRS handheld radio with repeater capability. Looks like a great option for trail comms. Pre-oder available with delivery estimated for early next month.

Just saw this new Rocky Talkie brand 5 watt GMRS handheld radio with repeater capability. Looks like a great option for trail comms. Pre-oder available with delivery estimated for early next month.

I have 4 of their FRS radios for ski-trips with my kids. they're solid and work fine for FRS.

i've been using study guides, but not that one. added to my study materials. the AARL site is down for maintenance until tomorrow but i found a copy elsewhere. but that is making it a challenge to search for local testing sites.

it seems some VEC's offer online testing, but most in-person. scheduling this is the hardest with my severe lack of free time. anyone have personal experience with online testing?

I am taking my Technician Exam online tomorrow afternoon/evening. Cost is $15. I found the Lakeway Amateur Radio Club (LARC) is proctoring/offering it. Through ExamTools: Amateur Radio License Exam administration - http://exam.tools

1) get your FRN at FCC first: Getting an FCC Registration Number (FRN) in the Universal Licensing System (ULS) - https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/support/knowledge-base/universal-licensing-system-uls-resources/getting-fcc-registration
2) find/register for a class: Ham Radio Online Tests – Get Your Ham Radio Licenses with us! - https://hamonlinetests.com/
3) pay them $15 before the test
4) be ready to take exam on laptop/pc and have a separate phone to put zoom on so they can watch you from the side view (?) during the test.

Oh and OP as far as test prep, i've done some youtubes and audiobooks but so far the most intense/useful for me has been: HamStudy.org: Technician class Ham Radio practice tests, ham radio flash cards, and ham radio question pool. - https://hamstudy.org/tech2022 create an account and grind through prep questions. do some tests and this site shows you *by section* where you're weakest, then do a youtube dive on that section, like from this guy; which is a series about the Technician License - whatever resources you use, ensure it's for the 2022-2026 content!

@emorth @StaleAle still never made it to in-person class but by tomorrow night I'll have my ticket.... (scoring 95-97% on the practice exams this week). I have CB, and think I still have a club Motorola, but will see about programming the GMRS codes above in my in-truck Yaesu - which I'm installing this week. My "listen only" Icom from 10 yrs ago got some damage during my truck renovation... so a shiny new FTM-500DR is going in... unclear if I can program that to speak GMRS... (I do have a GMRS license...) GMRS is part 95, yes?

I bought a Wouxun GMRS (from BuyTwoWayRadios.com if memory serves). IIRC, 5w, superheterodyne radio). KG805? Approximately $75. Works great. Only problem is getting frustrated wasting time while "everybody" with a baofeng tries to figure out how to make it work.

I bought a Wouxun GMRS (from BuyTwoWayRadios.com if memory serves). IIRC, 5w, superheterodyne radio). KG805? Approximately $75. Works great. Only problem is getting frustrated wasting time while "everybody" with a baofeng tries to figure out how to make it work.

This is why I also keep a couple Midland handhelds around. There’s no time to be messing with radios when you just want to wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom