Oneoff custom front winch bumper fab (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good ideas to brace those "weak wings". Saw it on pirate last night and was wounding how to get paint behind it, to keep it from rusting.

BTW, my buddy is supposed to pick up his Binks bolt on sliders today. The pics he sent me looked awesome. You guys gonna post some pics of them?

Good ideas to brace those "weak wings". Saw it on pirate last night and was wounding how to get paint behind it, to keep it from rusting.

BTW, my buddy is supposed to pick up his Binks bolt on sliders today. The pics he sent me looked awesome. You guys gonna post some pics of them?

Have it powdercoated? Personally, I wanted to "try" the bronze color before committing to powder. My other rigs get enough "use" that powder isn't practical, but this one will see pretty light duty in comparison. I was actually able to get pretty good coverage with the rattle can.

I rather not powder coat. Its easier to touch up, although just from being a s***ty driver.After living in Hawaii i hate rust.

However my buddy grabbed his slider today from Binks and was throughly impressed with them and the crew working there. He was a little worried about them not being "beefy". All he said was they are BEEFY.
mail.jpg

Rwhat said:
I rather not powder coat. Its easier to touch up, although just from being a s***ty driver.After living in Hawaii i hate rust.

However my buddy grabbed his slider today from Binks and was throughly impressed with them and the crew working there. He was a little worried about them not being "beefy". All he said was they are BEEFY.

Wow that looks good! Can't wait to see some mounted pics too.

damn those things are beefy!!!!!
post 500!!!

mind if i asked how much they set you back? i still have friends and family in Sac-crap-mento; so i could volunteer one of them for dealing w shipping and stuff.

mind if i asked how much they set you back? i still have friends and family in Sac-crap-mento; so i could volunteer one of them for dealing w shipping and stuff.

I think Bink mentioned the price of $700 in the other thread.

IRRC Binks can ship anywhere. gtfour43 is having his shipped to Hawaii.

I just went to Binks today and picked up my front bumper. Great guys.

That cat protection looks to be a waste of metal. It needs some bracing to be effective.

There you have it, opinions are like assholes..... I think it's too much. I'm going to do something like metaltech does on my tg sliders. I may make that one mount bar bolt on for cat replacement, but I'm taking a lightweight minimalist approach.

I agree with landtank as far as how it mounts. The skid is great, but how it bolts isn't. Land on the front or back and its going to more than likely lever off the mount. Add a brace to the front and back so it doesn't pivot in the middle.

Binks:

thinking out loud here. Maybe weld on a short section of sch.80 pipe right around each bolt/area so when the time comes to unbolt the cat skid the bolt wont be mangled from rocks.Nice work. Wish i had ordered these.

Binks:

thinking out loud here. Maybe weld on a short section of sch.80 pipe right around each bolt/area so when the time comes to unbolt the cat skid the bolt wont be mangled from rocks.Nice work. Wish i had ordered these.

Bolts look to be countersunk.

Bolts are countersunk. We have wheeled Pauls truck in areas an 80 series shouldn't be. We bent his original outter tubes first hence why they are now .250 wall. I'm pretty sure if youre into something on a trail that you can come down on that skid hard enough to bend it youre somewhere you shouldn't be. I'm sure you guys all wheel hard but lets face it this is not a buggy.

What size bolts are attaching the skid?

its not a matter of the slider or skid being weak, its how the skid attaches to the slider.... the leverage on the front or rear of the skid is going to put all the stress on those bolts and nothing else.

I think all the Binks stuff looks top notch, just questioning how the skid attaches, thats all...

Cat skid plates are - generally speaking - worthless in all respects.

If you are going to put sliders on your 80 because you think you might be somewhere that might damage your rockers, then you should address your exhaust system but having the cats "cut & turned", or whatever other methods, so they are not hanging down below the seam of the rocker. Likewise, if your exhaust is routed under the frame rail & if you still have the stock muffler. These are all "low hanging fruit" and everyone's stock exhaust is at least 13+ years old.

A cat skid plate will be the first thing to contact and if people think a 6,000-lb+ whale just "slides" along over obstacles once you've hung up on that thing, well....I just don't know what to say about that.

But that's a pretty looking skid plate. But how much extra does that add to the cost & complexity of the sliders? Any competent exhaust shop can get those cats flat, then you can run those nice legs right over to the frame and start worrying about how you need to get 37's to get down the trail.

BinksFab said:
Bolts are countersunk. We have wheeled Pauls truck in areas an 80 series shouldn't be. We bent his original outter tubes first hence why they are now .250 wall. I'm pretty sure if youre into something on a trail that you can come down on that skid hard enough to bend it youre somewhere you shouldn't be. I'm sure you guys all wheel hard but lets face it this is not a buggy.

Sorry couldn't tell when I looked at the pics from my phone. I fail.. carry on:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom