On Road w/performance King Shocks?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I was looking for some forum feedback on how King shocks perform on road when installed on a series 200. Thanks

There's no easy answer to this. King/Fox/Radflo require custom tuning to match the intended use. This is inherently different than something like a BP-51 that is off the shelf designed for the 200. If the off the shelf tune meets your needs, it's an easy deal. But if it doesn't you're stuck. Other than minor compression adjustment you're stuck with what the manufacturer considers the right tuning.

So, can you get a King to work great on the road? Sure. Same as you can get it to work great off road, or a balance between the two. You need to work with a vendor that has experience with King and the 200 series and will custom tune them for your intended use. Filthy/Accutune/Downsouth would be good starts.

Is this for everyone? No. There is time and effort involved because it might be close but not perfect first try. Know that going in. But it is the ultimate flexibility. I will no longer buy any performance shock that I can't re-valve myself. After tuning shocks for my FJ-62 and my GX460, and then against my better judgement buying non tunable shocks for an Audi project, I'll never buy off the shelf again. I'm currently deciding between King and Fox for my 200 (Radflo has a great product but I don't want to deal with the owner again).

To parrot what @Moby said, they are great, but you have to work for it. I’ve said previously, these are not the systems you want to hop on the internet with a coupon code from Lifts-r-Us, and pick the coolest looking setup. My personal recommendation is to find a local shop that specializes in performance suspension and tuning. That’s will help you get that perfect feel you are looking for. If you don’t have anyone close, Ben at Filthy Motorsports is very knowledgeable and get help you get dialed in as well.

Hello, I was looking for some forum feedback on how King shocks perform on road when installed on a series 200. Thanks

So, no lift? Are you just buying shocks? No off-reading?

If so, then stick to stock shocks designed by Toyota specifically for LC200.

There's no easy answer to this. King/Fox/Radflo require custom tuning to match the intended use. This is inherently different than something like a BP-51 that is off the shelf designed for the 200. If the off the shelf tune meets your needs, it's an easy deal. But if it doesn't you're stuck. Other than minor compression adjustment you're stuck with what the manufacturer considers the right tuning.

So, can you get a King to work great on the road? Sure. Same as you can get it to work great off road, or a balance between the two. You need to work with a vendor that has experience with King and the 200 series and will custom tune them for your intended use. Filthy/Accutune/Downsouth would be good starts.

Is this for everyone? No. There is time and effort involved because it might be close but not perfect first try. Know that going in. But it is the ultimate flexibility. I will no longer buy any performance shock that I can't re-valve myself. After tuning shocks for my FJ-62 and my GX460, and then against my better judgement buying non tunable shocks for an Audi project, I'll never buy off the shelf again. I'm currently deciding between King and Fox for my 200 (Radflo has a great product but I don't want to deal with the owner again).

thanks so much for the feedback! That’s very, very helpful! I was looking at the BP-51 as well, but really couldn’t find much online feedback with that setup. I didn’t realize that there are these companies where they can specifically tune the shock set up. I feel like Goldilocks looking for the bed that is just right!

So, no lift? Are you just buying shocks? No off-reading?

If so, then stick to stock shocks designed by Toyota specifically for LC200.
No, not really looking to lift. The wife is short and I have a 2 1/5 year old that’s just starting to climb in and out, so I need to keep it reasonable. I’m running stock size BFG KO2’s right now. I’d like to step up on size in tire, maybe. Id like to achieve a slightly better ride quality. It’s really great now, just want to see if there’s a way to improve without getting crazy. Honestly the truck spends the majority of time on Los Angeles freeways. But sometimes that’s like being out on BLM land! Between the potholes and the crappy patch work, the rig can bounce around a bit..but that just be the way it is. I know it will never be a trophy truck..I’m just trying to strike the right mix between streetability and off road capability. Maybe I already have that in stock form??

thanks so much for the feedback! That’s very, very helpful! I was looking at the BP-51 as well, but really couldn’t find much online feedback with that setup. I didn’t realize that there are these companies where they can specifically tune the shock set up. I feel like Goldilocks looking for the bed that is just right!
There are a lot of guys on here with tons of experience with the BP-51. They seems to be a little less “high maintenance” and equally as comfortable as Kings. There’s a lightly used set in the classifieds with a good price. I’ve contemplated scooping them up just to do some actual user comparison, but I just don’t have time for that.

Goldilocks is right, but if you go down the King route, don’t buy more than you need. I have 2.5s, and I haven’t even begun to scratch the surface in their capability.

No, not really looking to lift. The wife is short and I have a 2 1/5 year old that’s just starting to climb in and out, so I need to keep it reasonable. I’m running stock size BFG KO2’s right now. I’d like to step up on size in tire, maybe. Id like to achieve a slightly better ride quality. It’s really great now, just want to see if there’s a way to improve without getting crazy. Honestly the truck spends the majority of time on Los Angeles freeways. But sometimes that’s like being out on BLM land! Between the potholes and the crappy patch work, the rig can bounce around a bit..but that just be the way it is. I know it will never be a trophy truck..I’m just trying to strike the right mix between streetability and off road capability. Maybe I already have that in stock form??

If so, then STOCK SHOCKS are the best option. For stock everything, Toyota stock shocks will be better than anything aftermarket. Kings are good, but most (if not all) are installed on lifted rigs with off-roading capability being top on list of priorities.

You cannot compare the R&D of Toyota engineering team vs. Kings or Bilsteins. Toyota engineers spent at least 5-8 years (from what i read) engineering the LC200.

Toyota LC shocks are made for stock LC200 to be best of all worlds (handling, comfort, off-road, durability, and low maintenance). They are not good IF you go past the stock configuration, which is where Kings and Bilstein come in.

IMO, you will be flushing money down toilet in what you need.

There are a lot of guys on here with tons of experience with the BP-51. They seems to be a little less “high maintenance” and equally as comfortable as Kings. There’s a lightly used set in the classifieds with a good price. I’ve contemplated scooping them up just to do some actual user comparison, but I just don’t have time for that.

Goldilocks is right, but if you go down the King route, don’t buy more than you need. I have 2.5s, and I haven’t even begun to scratch the surface in their capability.
I’ll do some hunting on this forum to find some info on the BP’s. I don’t want it go crazy, drop a bunch of cash and be unhappy...I’m already married! 😀

If so, then STOCK SHOCKS are the best option. For stock everything, Toyota stock shocks will be better than anything aftermarket. Kings are good, but most (if not all) are installed on lifted rigs with off-roading capability being top on list of priorities.

You cannot compare the R&D of Toyota engineering team vs. Kings or Bilsteins.

Toyota LC shocks are made for stock LC200 to be best of all worlds (handling, comfort, off-road, durability, and low maintenance). They are not good IF you go past the stock configuration, which is where Kings and Bilstein come in.

IMO, you will be flushing money down toilet in what you need.
Agreed, I can’t see any aftermarket company having anything close to Toyota R&D information.

I don't agree that no lift means stock is best. On my GX I ran 0 rear lift and 3/4" front to level. No extra weight on the truck but regularly loaded up. The stock set up was too stiff on fire roads and compact snow/ice (causing vague steering as the tires lost contact and skipped/floated minorly) and had too much body roll at the same time. Also hit the front bumpstops really easy. Pretty much the same as the new 200. My use for these is mild. Not a commuter but lots of highway. And gravel roads for pre-running gravel and mtb bike race courses and access to backcountry for hiking, backpacking and skiing.

I went with Radflo for the GX because the vendor I worked with only did 4Runners and GXs and only used Radflo (lots of experience getting initial set up very close). I had to try a slightly heavier front spring (went back to 600) and re-valve the front once (it is not hard to revavle this style of shock; when I was learning to tune I probably revalved the front Bilsteins on my FJ-62 6-7 times and the rear 4-5 as I learned what worked and what didn't).

The overall result is night and day difference. My wife never stopped randomly mentioning how well it drove, whether passing at 90 or on dirt roads). Her first comment on the new 200 was "But I assume you'll be fixing the suspension like the GX..."

And I will be taking the same approach with the 200. Maybe external bypasses in the rear though because I've always been curious but the tuning options they provide and IBP in the front.

HTH

One big consideration for toyota when designing the OE dampers is cost, even on an $80k+ vehicle. Reliability as well. Both of these would preclude toyota using something along the lines of King or BPs from the factory.

So no, I don’t necessarily agree that stock shocks are absolutely the best for what you want to do. The adjustability of kings allows them to be perfect, if you put in the effort. Not to mention if you tax the suspension system the larger piston and remote reservoir allows a lot more capability. But understand that they will require more maintenance and possible downtime dialing things in.

But.. I’ve been researching this myself. King’s will lift the front at least 1” possibly 1.5” with the standard 600# coils. You can go with the 500# coils (stock landcruiser rate) and get to stock ride height if desired.

What special tools are needed to do at-home shock adjustments?

One big consideration for toyota when designing the OE dampers is cost, even on an $80k+ vehicle. Reliability as well. Both of these would preclude toyota using something along the lines of King or BPs from the factory.

So no, I don’t necessarily agree that stock shocks are absolutely the best for what you want to do. The adjustability of kings allows them to be perfect, if you put in the effort. Not to mention if you tax the suspension system the larger piston and remote reservoir allows a lot more capability. But understand that they will require more maintenance and possible downtime dialing things in.

But.. I’ve been researching this myself. King’s will lift the front at least 1” possibly 1.5” with the standard 600# coils. You can go with the 500# coils (stock landcruiser rate) and get to stock ride height if desired.

How do you fine tune the King's shocks? Butt-o-meter? Handling course? Different terrain torture test? Dust/debris testing? Emergency maneuvers? Can someone at home be able to test all that is needed to find the correct balance? I have seen enough of aftermarket parts that fail at the worst time...even though they sure look pretty in your garage.

If you modify your suspension outside factory specs, then yeah, Kings/Bils make perfect sense. But stock? Stick with Toyota shocks that is custom fit to the stock springs.

Sure, the butt dyno is a great source of reliable feedback. I was able to discern my rear springs were on the wrong side. I was able to discern the front passenger coil had an extra three turns of preload. I was able to determine that my reservoirs had varying levels of pressure.

1) Know how your truck behaves.
2) Pay attention to the feedback the truck is constantly providing.
3) Learn how shocks work.
4) Don’t be afraid to ask a professional.

Fortunately, for the average person, these companies have covered torture test, endurance, variable terrain and whatnot. They stake their reputation on it. The X-factor is individual preference.

If you’re carrying a little extra weight, sure a coil change in the rear may be all that is needed.

If you want a performance system that covers the majority, I’d say BP-51.

If you like nitpicking, tinkering, tuning, research, self-education, and performance give Kings/Radflo/Fox a shot.

YMMV

Stock shocks for stock LC are the best? Give me a break. I have had (3) 200 series and never did I think “man, i should have kept with the amazing OEM shocks” 😂 They are terrible unless you drive like an old lady. You don’t need an excuse to buy Kings if you’re thinking is they must be more for off-road built 200’s. Kings and ICONs are a true upgrade for overall suspension performance whether for on-road or off. I personally would aim towards Kings and Filthy Motorsports or Accutune will work with you on what exactly you want out of your suspension. They are not high Maintenance unless you’re on a serious budget or drive a ton of miles(over 15k per year) or best the crud out of them. Then I can see it being a bit of a pain having them revalued every 50k miles or so.

Setting aside external bypass for a minute you need to be able to tear down the shock. Filthy has some great youtube content.

Nitrogen cylinder from my welding supply shop (smallest will do many rebuilds or pressure top offs). Regulator and ideally a zero loss chuck (one with a little thumb screw that depresses the needle in the valve). Radflo uses a self sealing valve instead of a Schrader valve. These suck to deal with. You need a needle adapter and threaded guide. Fortunately you can easily swap them for a standard Schrader valve (apparently they don't leak down as much as a Schrader, but the needle is more hassle than checking the pressure slightly more often).

Beyond the nitrogen side of things it depends on the manufacturer. For Bilstein 7100 basic hand tools. For Radflo a cheap spanner in the right size. King and Fox I've only watched videos but looks like just a spanner as well.

From there it is just internal wear parts as needed or individual shims if you are tuning. Really it's more work to get coilovers off and reinstalled than to rebuild the shock itself or change the tune.

For coilovers add in spring compressors. I use SPC's beefiest home model. Be cautious here, there can be a lot of stored energy.

With external bypass you can do a lot of tuning without removing the shock or tearing them down. This isn't remote reservoirs, these are shocks with additional tubes on the outside that house valves that you can change with hand tools. Bypasses allow a certain amount of fluid to bypass the main valving for a portion of the shocks travel. Each external tube controls a range of the travel, compression or rebound. Coilovers can be had with internal bypasses. You can't tune them like an external but it gives you a more sophisticated and overall tunable setup. BP-51s are internal bypass with remote reservoirs and external compression adjusts (which also are not bypasses).

I am likely to go King or Fox, 3 tube external bypass rear and reservoirs and internal bypass front with reservoirs and compression adjusters. Unless there is a downside to externals that I haven't learned about yet. Decision will be made when I decide which vendor I will work with and their experience/recommendations for my usage. External frankly would be more of a geeky interest then necessity, but I'd like to give them a try.

Setting aside external bypass for a minute you need to be able to tear down the shock. Filthy has some great youtube content.

Nitrogen cylinder from my welding supply shop (smallest will do many rebuilds or pressure top offs). Regulator and ideally a zero loss chuck (one with a little thumb screw that depresses the needle in the valve). Radflo uses a self sealing valve instead of a Schrader valve. These suck to deal with. You need a needle adapter and threaded guide. Fortunately you can easily swap them for a standard Schrader valve (apparently they don't leak down as much as a Schrader, but the needle is more hassle than checking the pressure slightly more often).

Beyond the nitrogen side of things it depends on the manufacturer. For Bilstein 7100 basic hand tools. For Radflo a cheap spanner in the right size. King and Fox I've only watched videos but looks like just a spanner as well.

From there it is just internal wear parts as needed or individual shims if you are tuning. Really it's more work to get coilovers off and reinstalled than to rebuild the shock itself or change the tune.

For coilovers add in spring compressors. I use SPC's beefiest home model. Be cautious here, there can be a lot of stored energy.

With external bypass you can do a lot of tuning without removing the shock or tearing them down. This isn't remote reservoirs, these are shocks with additional tubes on the outside that house valves that you can change with hand tools. Bypasses allow a certain amount of fluid to bypass the main valving for a portion of the shocks travel. Each external tube controls a range of the travel, compression or rebound. Coilovers can be had with internal bypasses. You can't tune them like an external but it gives you a more sophisticated and overall tunable setup. BP-51s are internal bypass with remote reservoirs and external compression adjusts (which also are not bypasses).

I am likely to go King or Fox, 3 tube external bypass rear and reservoirs and internal bypass front with reservoirs and compression adjusters. Unless there is a downside to externals that I haven't learned about yet. Decision will be made when I decide which vendor I will work with and their experience/recommendations for my usage. External frankly would be more of a geeky interest then necessity, but I'd like to give them a try.

Shaft/tube clamp adaptors for a large bench vice?

Thanks for the info. I'm very interested in learning how to tweak these things. And yes, getting the fronts out and on the bench seems more difficult than tearing into them..

Stock shocks for stock LC are the best? Give me a break. I have had (3) 200 series and never did I think “man, i should have kept with the amazing OEM shocks” 😂 They are terrible unless you drive like an old lady. You don’t need an excuse to buy Kings if you’re thinking is they must be more for off-road built 200’s. Kings and ICONs are a true upgrade for overall suspension performance whether for on-road or off. I personally would aim towards Kings and Filthy Motorsports or Accutune will work with you on what exactly you want out of your suspension. They are not high Maintenance unless you’re on a serious budget or drive a ton of miles(over 15k per year) or best the crud out of them. Then I can see it being a bit of a pain having them revalued every 50k miles or so.

So you are buying just the shocks...while keeping the stock springs?

On some of its vehicles, Toyota would have different shocks and/or springs based on tire package. So, no, Toyota just does not use the cheapest thing out there. The suspension design and tuning take a lot of time and $$$$.

IF i was the OP, then yeah get the Kings/Bils...but get the WHOLE suspension system...not just get the shocks and hope that it goes well with the stock springs.

Wasn't there a recent thread about ICONS leaking or something?

Revalving every 50k? Why do you have to do that on a shock that is supposed to be tough and durable? Seriously, every 50k?? I drive 18-20k miles annually...and my LC is not even my daily driver!

Last edited:

On some of its vehicles, Toyota would have different shocks and/or springs based on tire package. So, no, Toyota just does not use the cheapest thing out there. The suspension design and tuning take a lot of time and $$$$.

IF i was the OP, then yeah get the Kings/Bils...but get the WHOLE suspension system...not just get the shocks and hope that it goes well with the stock springs.

Revalving every 50k? Why do you have to do that on a shock that is supposed to be tough and durable? Seriously, every 50k?? I drive 18-20k miles annually...and my LC is not even my daily driver!

I was referring to replacing both shocks and springs as that would be the obvious thing to do. Revolving every 50k isn’t necessarily the case for ever owner. Just the recommendation based on what the designer is expecting you to do when spending serious cash on an a tuned upgrade. Another 200 series owner on here has put 100k on his ICONs without issue or revolving I believe. I have stage 6 3.0 ICONs with zero issues 15k miles. ICONs are solid but of course you’ll only hear from the people dissatisfied. That goes for any and every product made. Time and money doesn’t always result in greatness. If someone says the stock 200 suspension is great, they haven’t had a really good suspension system. 20k miles a year for a non-daily is a lot of driving. Sounds like cross country traveling trips. Since you have other vehicles, all you have to do is take it to your local off-road shop and they’ll send the shocks out. You might be without it for a week or so. I have multiple cars, being without the LC is no biggie and absolutely worth the upgrade.

I do plan on switching my ICONS out for KINGS if they do end up leaking or when it’s time to re-valve. Fox is another great option

Last edited:

I understand your perspective. This approach is clearly not for you. That's fine, everyone has different needs and priorities. If stock does everything you need than absolutely stick with it. My intent is to help the OP and others with my direct experience tuning and maintaining this type of component so that they can decide if something similar is a good fit for their needs. More often than not it won't be. Stock or BP-51s will work great for most.

King/etc. is about performance in conditions way beyond what the stock suspension can handle. Drive 30+mph on a whooped out gravel road on the stock suspension for any amount of time. Personally my experience is that stock sucks for this and results in damage to other components as the shocks fade and repeatedly bottom out. But this level of performance requires maintenance. Trade offs. Frankly though all struts and shocks wear and need replacement. The stock suspension components were blown on my FJ-62 when I got it at 130k miles. Most just don't notice the slow degrade of stock components because it happens over time.

There is no need to revalve every 50k. Valving is not normally a service item. Seals and guides are,. But in the case of King, Fox or Radflo you rebuild instead of throwing the whole unit away (like stock).

I put 68k miles on my Radflos. Other than dialing in the valving no maintenance was required. I checked the pressure once between the time I did the revalve and selling the truck once because I was curious. King and Fox have maintenance schedules depending on type of use. Like changing your engine oil.

Again, this solution is not for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom