On board air system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys i have been working on my on board air system. I wanted to know if anyone has put an air/ water separator between the compressor and the rest of the air system. it does have a pressure regulator on it with a max of 180psi and the compressor says 200psi so will this infact put restriction on the compressor

Well good question. So air water separator seen them used in a lot of heavy duty air systems but I'm not sure if your system is gonna be large enough that it builds up so much condensation and its use so much that an air water separator's going to be a valid point. So is your pump going to be filling the tank and you're running from the tank or are you just building a pump and you are lining your vehicle with air fittings or whatever? If your air pump is going to a tank your tank is going to have a valve on it which regulates how high you want to fill that tank pressure. The valve I put on my tank is a 70–100 so basically my air pump or turn on at 70psi tank pressure and turn off at 100psi... it's 150 pound air tank. So I'm not sure if you're saying that your air pump is a regulated air pump or if you're feeding a tank That's only regulated to 200 pounds?

If you use the compressor to fill your tyres adding a water separator would be better.
When using a tank position the separator behind the tank. You don't want water in your tyres.
A valve in the bottom of the tank is needed to bleed the water out of the tank.

Question for you guys... Could you put a water separator at the end of the run? In other words, at the end of the hose right before filling your tires. It would be a small hassle handling, but would take more water out of the whole system, right?

Question for you guys... Could you put a water separator at the end of the run? In other words, at the end of the hose right before filling your tires. It would be a small hassle handling, but would take more water out of the whole system, right?
It all depends on the temperature of the compressed air. As soon as it cools the water separates.
Hot compressed air will still hold water that does not seperate in a water separator

So the further away from the compressor, like one in a shop, the better for trapping water. I use @ a 25' hose to air up my tires and thinking of putting a separator at the end of the hose. Maybe have one foot leader with the chuck on it. I use a Puma compressor and it has a drain on the tank, also.

So the further away from the compressor, like one in a shop, the better for trapping water. I use @ a 25' hose to air up my tires and thinking of putting a separator at the end of the hose. Maybe have one foot leader with the chuck on it. I use a Puma compressor and it has a drain on the tank, also.
It's easyer to put one on the body where you connect the hose, they have to be upright to work.

The way I ran my air system.
Compressor under the hood on the frame rail down where the a.c. compressor sits. I ran a line back to the tank witch is on the roof behind my roof rack. 3 gal tank. From the tank down to the water separator. From there it goes to an air disconnect on either bumper, to the train horn system and to my pressure gauge on the dash

my tank has a drain.

Alternatively, My Air horns do well for getting rid of moisture
To you plus Cruiser Nancy, I was looking into train / air horns just for $h!ts and giggles. But from what I read, in a lot of states (most?) they are illegal to use on the road. Something about scaring the crap out of other drivers and causing accidents. Bummer but kind of makes sense. Is this what you understand? Do you only use them when parked (e.g. to remind your spouse/kids to hurry up!)?

To you plus Cruiser Nancy, I was looking into train / air horns just for $h!ts and giggles. But from what I read, in a lot of states (most?) they are illegal to use on the road. Something about scaring the crap out of other drivers and causing accidents. Bummer but kind of makes sense. Is this what you understand? Do you only use them when parked (e.g. to remind your spouse/kids to hurry up!)?
I use them when people are dipshits.

everything is legal in florida

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom