ominous slipping sound...t-case? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jblueridge

SILVER Star
Threads
While off road creeping in 4Low up a mountain pass, I heard a new sound similar to a tire slipping on rock.
After hearing the exact same sound 4 or 5 times I knew it was something other than slipping on rock.
The noise has a faint metallic twang to it and I believe I feel a slight twitch coming through the drivetrain.
The sound seems to come from under the truck, not from one of the tires.
I fear it is the t-case or manual gearbox.

While in 4High I ran the truck rapidly up a steep dirt slope to make the sound occur.
I got out and looked at the tire tracks in the powdery dirt but I saw nothing strange.
I believe the sound is getting more frequent whenever the truck is really working to go uphill offroad.
Since I was about 1,700 miles from home, I decided to stop stressing the truck and just drive home to Virginia on the Interstate.
No noises or problems driving 70mph 8 hours/day.

Anyone have a similar sound experience?

Once, years ago in my old bj40, I had a clicking sound going up very steep fire tracks, too steep, crazy really. I think it was the locking hubs though, from memory, I knew even less then.

It was fine in 2wd hwy, too.

I guess start with the easy and work your way back. Pain if it is in your transfer, doubt it is gear box, blessing if just hubs.

Can you load up the drivetrain in 2WD high or 2WD low to see if it makes the noise? That would help determine if it is hubs or not.

There are some steep dirt roads near my home.
I’ll try some 2wd stunts there soon.
I guess I’ll take tire pressures down to 20 psi like I did when the noise manifested in Colorado.

I drove an hour west to the national forest where there are some trails considered challenging (in Virginia anyway).
It was more muddy and slick than I expected.

I did my best to strain the drivetrain up hills and so on.
I never heard the noise again but maybe the tires were slipping before the noise could appear.

I know that my brakes are in need of attention. The LSPV is jammed among other things.
I am hoping I will find something in the brake drums that could have made the noise I am worried about.
Once I get all that squared away, I will go back to the forest.

Yes. It arrived last week.
I ordered a bunch of brake stuff back in June.
Somehow I stupidly ordered only one new brake drum, so I get to wait for the 2nd to arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom