OME vs OEM Shocks Best Budget Setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had the OME 2.5 med kit for a year and I can report OME shocks without bumpers and weight are terrible. OEM feels great like a cloud. I recommend changing asap and the shocks are only 40 dollars each. I also feel like the truck articulates better when I take it through the same obstacles with the OEM shocks.

If i would have known OEM are almost the same length I would have never bought the OME. For those searching DONT GET OME without BUMPERS or HEAVY gear.

I love driving my car again and not getting beat up over the smallest road imperfections.

This is my personal experience and recommendation for budget setup while maintaining a great ride quality.

I share your sentiments. OEM Tokico shocks are buttery smooth!

Thanks to your posts I learned about it. I wanted to make a post that clearly defines this option for users searching. For some reason it wasn't covered clearly. I had to read a lot of posts deep in threads.

100% agreed. The common OME setup should not be the common OME setup on the 100, IMO. I'm not sure how or why ARB landed on that configuration for the 100 series, but it's awfully rough. It should be marketed as the "extremely heavy load out shock" instead of the go-to aftermarket shock. I hear good things about the Ironman foam-cells, but OEM at $40 and very durable is hard to beat.

I went from OME shocks without bumpers which were very harsh, to OEMs which were awesome but a little too mushy in the front, to Dobinson IMS extended travels. Fronts are perfect, rears are a little too stiff, but am getting my BIOR rear bumper installed next week. They should be perfect. Hard to go wrong with the OEMs though, great ride, no rebuild necessary, last a long time, and are $40 each

I have a 3 inch lift, but no additional sprung weight. Right now I am on old man emu, and they aren't great. The rear need replaced.

Question is, can I just go with the OEM even with the lift?

I know that is pretty basic - but I am an IT nerd, suspension baffles me.

I have a 3 inch lift, but no additional sprung weight. Right now I am on old man emu, and they aren't great. The rear need replaced.

Ome and oem are practically the same length there should be no problems. Im 22 inch front and 23 inch rear hub to center.

Yes.

Why is there nobody talking about the springs? Aren't those that mainly define the harshness of the ride?

Why is there nobody talking about the springs? Aren't those that mainly define the harshness of the ride?

Not with this truck.

Sure if you're oversprung for the weight your carrying it will make the ride harsher. Using the same OME torsion bars / 865 springs, and going from OME shocks to OEM shocks was like night and day

Its been about a week since the OEM shocks and im still excited and overjoyed that the ride is so great.

Sure if you're oversprung for the weight your carrying it will make the ride harsher. Using the same OME torsion bars / 865 springs, and going from OME shocks to OEM shocks was like night and day

I experienced the same with my LX470.

How many miles on average are you fellows / ladies getting out of the OEM shocks?
I have about 45k on my replacements and my mechanic guy thinks they are due for replacement...

How many miles on average are you fellows / ladies getting out of the OEM shocks?
I have about 45k on my replacements and my mechanic guy thinks they are due for replacement...
If they ain’t leaking then they likely don’t need replaced. The OEM Tokicos should last 80-100k miles unless you’re jumping dunes and such regularly.

that's my thoughts also....

My 99 had 90k or so and they still felt good. I think one had a minor weep, but no obvious failure. You'll feel an outright failure, but I do think they degrade over time and it's hard to feel when they're a little tired. I'd aim for a 100k change interval unless you can feel one is obviously blown.

I hate to break the OEM jive here, I also have OME shocks and I think they could be the culprit for the harsh ride. I have about 50k on them and I think I can't stand them anymore.

Thinking about going full on Kings (Icon are harsh too) but really can't justify the price and ROI for a 17 year old truck. Also I don't want to spend $3k on a set of shocks which needs tune up every other years. And I'd rather just replace the shocks than to rebuild them. Before I pull the trigger for OEM for only a couple Benjamin, did anyone have or had experience with the Bilstein 5160 or 4600?

Cant beat oem for the price. Do it the ride is lush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom