OME Lift Install Snag (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Front or rear?

Might want to make sure it's not too packed with grease so it can compress like it's supposed to.

zerks

This has been covered in previous threads. try undoing the grease zerks on your driveshaft. It allows grease to squirt out thus shortening your driveshafts.

You sure you have everything installed correctly? Not sure how a lift can actually shorten a driveshaft length. Maybe shoot us some pictures.

You shouldn't have to physically shorten the shaft. Try removing the zerks and compressing again. Possibly try cleaning out the zerk holes with a paper clip. The driveline should compress enough to get it all bolted together.

I have lifted several 60s with H/H springs with no issues.

Are you doing one side at a time? or do you have it all apart on both sides?

-bull

X4 on previous. Never had a problem there. If any thing your shafts would lengthen due to increased ride height.

got the springs on backwards, which side is the military wrap on? take a pic

Last edited:
I agree with everyone else, I've put on a couple different lifts including OME and have never had a problem with the driveshaft. You probably do have them on backwards.

Just put mine on last week...no problems what so ever with the DS. Double check your springs are correct...military warp at main eye fixed end. The offset of the center pins could make your DS too short if the springs are flipped.

I put mine on correctly and I had to undo the grease zirk to let some out.

Hello all,

Anyone run into having to shorten the drive line in order to fit an OME heavy/heavy lift kit on a 85 FJ60?

I ran into that same problem when I installed my heavy kit. It's a bit foggy in my mind about how we got it to work though. I took it apart at the yoke and made sure it wasn't so full of grease, it was definitely botttoming out and was still to long.

If I recall correctly we jacked up the axle (the rig was held up by the frame and the axle was hanging) and then it went on.

All full droop the drive shaft is at its shortest length. I recommend puling the shaft and getting the truck back on it wheels to give the spings some squat. Then reinstall the shaft by pulling the zerks out to allow any built up grease to squish out the hole.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Hello all,

Anyone run into having to shorten the drive line in order to fit an OME heavy/heavy lift kit on a 85 FJ60?

I had the same problem as you, even with the zerk removed my rear drive shaft was fully compressed when the wheels where off the ground. I was sure I had the wrong springs or I installed them wrong. I spoke with OME tech support, read them the numbers off the springs and they confirmed that I had the right springs and they where installed correctly. I'd encourage you to call OME to satisfy yourself that your setup is right.

With full weight on the axle there was a little bit of travel in the slip yoke. The travel increased as the springs broke in.

You mean the longest length at full droop and the shortest at full compression (wheel stuffed in the fender wells).

Flippin spell check.

No he doesn't. Dynosoar is right. Drop the truck back down on its wheels and that shaft will fit.

Thanks Lowenbrau!, Look how the rear shackels move (forward on droop and backward on compression) The front is the same unless you have done a shackel reversal.

I thought all those years on the farm taught you about that Dan!

Dynosoar

No he doesn't. Dynosoar is right. Drop the truck back down on its wheels and that shaft will fit.

I see your point. Shorter or longer Shackles will make it fluctuate. But either way, the distance between the output flange of the T-case and the axle should be longer since he took his sagged out springs off and put lifted springs on.

I was talking about the suspension. If you lift the frame to put new springs on you have the rig up on jack stands. Once you bolt the axle back on with the rig in this position it is at full droop (as long as the wheel are not touching the ground.) The drive shaft is at it's longest length.

Once you lower everything back to the ground and the weight of the vehicle is on the springs and the axles it is on compression. The driveshaft should be at it's shortest length.

When I installed my OME 2" lift on my first 60 I did not diconnect the driveshaft. On my second 60 series, I used the 3.5" Ultra Heavy duty system. It added 5. 1/4" inches so I had to pull on the driveshaft to get it installed.

In a climbing enviroment the axles will move or rotate and fluctuate a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom