OM617 to Toyota 3 speed adapter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks. Recently I got an OM617 diesel engine that I would like to put in my FJ40 but having a hard time finding an adapter plate to keep the 3 speed transmission (I would like to keep the 3 on the three config).

Initially I was going to do an SBC swap so I got the Chevy to 3 speed Toyota plate from AA. Now I wonder if there is a straight adapter plate from the Mercedes to the Toyota 3 speed, or if the Mercedes to Chevy bellhousing adapter from 4x4 labs, then Chevy to 3 speed from AA will work (I know, is a Frankenstein situation, and probably a dumb question).

Here is the situation I would like to check:
OM617 -> 4x4 labs adapter -> Chevy bellhousing -> AA 3 speed adapter -> Toyota 3 speed transmission

Georg at Cruiser Brothers / Valley Hybrids did this to Manny's green 40 years ago, give him a call.

I used a 4x4 Labs adapter plate to a AA 712577 bellhousing to NV4500 with adapter to Orion transfer case.

I used a 4x4 Labs adapter plate to a AA 712577 bellhousing to NV4500 with adapter to Orion transfer case.
I asked them for the OM617 to GM but they mentioned they only have Mercedes to Toyota. I saw long time ago they had one to GM, do you know if they discontinued it?

I asked them for the OM617 to GM but they mentioned they only have Mercedes to Toyota. I saw long time ago they had one to GM, do you know if they discontinued it?
Yes I think I bought one of the last ones. If I had it to do over again, I would go H55F. @orangefj45 told me the wide ratio of the NV4500 would be less than ideal, and he was right, but I already had the rebuilt transmission in hand.

Happy to chime in ….

You probably don’t want to hear this, but running the factory 3-speed behind an OM617 is a terrible idea. Possibly the wiry engine-transmission choice you could make.

The 618 has precious little low end torque and it will be a struggle to take off from a standing start.

I’d HIGHLY recommend running the H55F 5-speed transmission.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I’d rather be brutally honest than see you end up with a cruiser that’s not what you’d hoped for.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

Happy to chime in ….

You probably don’t want to hear this, but running the factory 3-speed behind an OM617 is a terrible idea. Possibly the wiry engine-transmission choice you could make.

The 618 has precious little low end torque and it will be a struggle to take off from a standing start.

I’d HIGHLY recommend running the H55F 5-speed transmission.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I’d rather be brutally honest than see you end up with a cruiser that’s not what you’d hoped for.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations. I wanted to keep the 3 on the tree shifting, but reading the comments seems that is not a good idea. Regarding to that, the problem is the top speed and starter?

The 3-speed doesn’t have a low enough first gear and no OD. The H55F would offer both so you can enjoy driving the cruiser around town as well as on the freeway.

If an H55f can be used, so can an H42 4 speed (just strictly thinking about adapters). There is a member developing an adapter to mount the 3spd column shift top plate to the top of an H42 to have a 4 on tree setup. Still in development phases, but this would give you a better trans and allow you to keep the column shift.

I saw a column shift 5-speed years ago that a customer of mine built. He’s a master machinist and spent countless hours on the project.
Wish I had pics but it was well over ten years ago and I haven’t seen the vehicle or it’s owner since.

They’re currently fine tuning a plate for a 4 speed column shift. You’d not have overdrive but would have a lower 1st and closer spacing.

They’re currently fine tuning a plate for a 4 speed column shift. You’d not have overdrive but would have a lower 1st and closer spacing.
Could run 3.70 Diffs also to keep cruising RPMS down.

Question regarding the engine mounting brackets. What did you guys use to set the engine in the frame?

Could run 3.70 Diffs also to keep cruising RPMS down.
The combination of 33s and 3.70s I'm running make 4th a decent overdrive (about 25%). At least for my setup 1st still seems plenty low with the 3.70s (even though it is a small compromise). :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom