Old Parts from Lift Install - What to do with this stuff? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gretsch

SILVER Star
Threads
Any reason to hang on to the old springs, shackles, spring pins, U-bolts, etc. left from installing an OME lift? The stock springs were fairly flat but otherwise in pretty good shape. My truck always had a lean on the driver side which seemed to be sourced from the rear. I don't think there is anything wrong with the springs per se, just worn. I am guessing there is little use for them at this point but thought I would check with the brain trust to see if anything could be done with them before I pitch this stuff. Maybe someone who wants to replace a broken stock spring could use these. I don't know. I really couldn't see ever go back to stock so I am pretty sure I won't need them myself. I guess I am just wondering what folks do with the factory suspension parts after a lift install. Pitch them, sell them, keep them. Thanks.

Wait for the price of scrap steel to go up and then sell them for scrap. Or maybe offer them for free in the classifieds.

Scrap

I've had no luck selling my used and rebuilt shackles, slightly used polyurethane bushings, axle bolts and stabilizers with newer bushings

Yeah I figured these would be a hard sell. Not sure what could be done with them but with the state of stock parts for these being what it is, seems somehow a bit tragic to just scrap this stuff. Maybe I am being foolish but seems like it would be useful to someone. Based on your lack of success @g-man, I am prolly fooling myself on that idea. Maybe I'll post in classifieds and see what comes of it. Giving it to someone who could use it to get a cruiser back on the road seems appealing. Shipping this stuff though would be rough.

Do most of you folks just pitch it?

My shackles got used for something garage related. Prying, etc. The ubolts were garbage. The springs were given to a buddy for SOA. He put long AAL in there and his 60 was huge! 35’s looked small basically. I still have my spring plates. Not sure what to do with them. Rust free. Taking up space with all the other old parts I have lol.

Donate to a local metalsmith that does metal forging. I met a guy ages ago who had a friend who’d recently built a foundry. I tried to find his number in my phone to give him mine but had lost it. Still plan to seek one out and maybe trade for some cool hand made tool.

post them up on your local cruiser chapter for free. You never know who might need them. But I'd give it a week and toss them in the garbage, or scrap metal pile.

I got $10 for the springs at scrap. I saw someone locally looking for them (don't remember where), but my rears were flat so I have no idea what use they'd have been.

Clean (non-rusty or badly worn) OEM parts (the smaller ones) might be worth keeping. Maybe just ditch the springs. You never know when you or a buddy will buy another 60 series that has been boogered up with non-stock parts or stripped out shackle nuts, and perhaps need shackles, etc. I kept all this stuff from my '87 FJ60 and used some of it 15 years later on my FJ62. Recall all the stuff people tossed out for FJ40s over the years that is now priceless.

All this depends on your storage space - if you live in an apartment, then maybe give it all away.

So I am getting the sense here that they are really not that useful. I'll post them up as a give away, and see if anyone has use for them. Unfortunately I don't have space to really store them long term. If no takers, to the scrap heap they go. Or maybe make a windmill out of them.

So I am getting the sense here that they are really not that useful. I'll post them up as a give away, and see if anyone has use for them. Unfortunately I don't have space to really store them long term. If no takers, to the scrap heap they go. Or maybe make a windmill out of them.
A few from google search but they were from pininterest which I avoid so I’m sure there’s more.

2CD12E80-6E1C-4AA5-87EE-75DA547C0F0F.jpeg

3A656FD5-11E6-4DBA-88B2-A816053E1D0C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom