Old Man Emu "Popping" noise. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have had this problem since installed OME Springs, MAF Bushings, etc. Have heard a few different explanations but what can I do? I thought I saw a thread related to this but cant find it...

Does it only do it under flex

I had a similar problem and it ended up being the bushing sleeve in the rear part of the front springs that was shifting and allowing the spring pack to hit the hanger. From what I researched is that they are pressed fit in but some would work loose.
I ended up welding the sleeve in the spring eye and that solved the clunking. Hope this helps.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

My bet is on the urethane bushings. The old design didn't get any grease in there, and they would dry out and seize up in the eye holes. When you turn and they flex, they'll pop free a little. Drove me crazy thinking it was suspension or steering. Changed the bushings to the new design that has grease grooves, not a single pop since..

Reactions: SAS
I have the OME bushings and it was still making klonk.
Watch my video and you understand what I mean.

Had a similar experience. I got the sleeves welded in place on my springs as well. Have only done this on the rear, but it made a huge difference in ride quality. x2 on only using OME bushings. I like the OME Greasable Shackles as well.

ROTM- klinetime574 - OME Spring Sleeve Welding

I did not weld the sleeves only the retainer
here is the video
and the welded retainer
P1020026.JPG

Got it Paul, I found the video in the link you sent. Thanks again for the info, I'm going to replace bushings as they are pretty trashed, and weld the retainers.

I had the same issue with OME bushings that were 7-8 years old; disassembled, cleaned, and lubricated. Solved my problem.

Sorry not to get back sooner. Yes, OME bushings are what I used. The old style was basically a cylinder, the new is more like a cog, with grease grooves lengthwise. I've got the greaseable shackles, so I thought I was good to go, but the grease had no where to go but back out the zirc fitting..

Cool thanks, I have the great able shackles, need to change to OME bushings and I think I'm going to weld the sleeves. Easy enough fix, Klunk is annoying.

Not sure about the need to weld the sleeves. I haven't done it, and the front end is smooth, no popping. I've still got the old bushings in the rear, and when it's been raining a bit, they will start to creak a little. Thanks for reminding me, I need to change the rear bushings..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom