OK, I'm thinking I was wrong with OME shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We already went the rounds on this topic in the other thread :)

The extended length of the OME shocks is within a half inch of the other (non extended travel) shocks listed in this thread:
Shock Length Thread

That doesn't mean that available droop in a 2.5" lifted Hundy with OME shocks is adequate, but I'm saying you have to go with the right upper control arm and truly extended length shock to get more droop. The OME shocks are not the problem--they're built to get what little there is with the factory configuration.

They do ride kind of rough, though.
Like I said, I have never ran mine with stock control arms but with the spc arms the shocks are the limiting factor. I'm don't have the exact numbers but a 1/2 on the shock would probably = about 1-1 1/2" of wheel travel.

Sent from my iPhone

Like I said, I have never ran mine with stock control arms but with the spc arms the shocks are the limiting factor. I'm don't have the exact numbers but a 1/2 on the shock would probably = about 1-1 1/2" of wheel travel.

Sent from my iPhone

Don't get me wrong--I'm not going to carry the OME flag into battle, and I'm watching my budget for an opportunity to swap out for some remote reservoir Icons, but I remain skeptical that the OME shocks are limiting total droop in any big way.

I have yet to find any evidence to that effect on the MUD forums. For example, looking at some actual droop measurements in this thread:
Light Racing 100 Series/LX470 UCA Group Buy @ Metal Tech
You'll find the OME shocks (with SPC arms) actually beating Fox and Radflos with the same SPC arms in terms of measured droop. Even the extended travel Icons and SPC combo only beats out the OME setup by 0.25 inch of actual measured droop at the hub. One quarter inch. Underwhelming.

I wonder if much of our perceptions are influenced by the harsh compression and underdamped rebound on the OME shocks(?)

Reactions: 85x
Still not seeing how the shock can induce ATRAC. maybe if the t bars are cranked so tight that they don't allow compression, the opposite wheel would lift when a tire goes over a bump, and ATRAC kicks in, but that isn't a shock issue unless compression damping is way too high. Help a brother understand the ATRAC issue. If you're lifting front wheels off the ground long enough to engage ATRAC during acceleration... that's crazy good acceleration, or absolutely no shock compression. That's got to be some crazy front end lifting though.

^ How is the ATRAC being triggered? Are the shocks so "tight" that the tires are just skimming the ground over bumps?

Don't get me wrong--I'm not going to carry the OME flag into battle, and I'm watching my budget for an opportunity to swap out for some remote reservoir Icons, but I remain skeptical that the OME shocks are limiting total droop in any big way.

I have yet to find any evidence to that effect on the MUD forums. For example, looking at some actual droop measurements in this thread:
Light Racing 100 Series/LX470 UCA Group Buy @ Metal Tech
You'll find the OME shocks (with SPC arms) actually beating Fox and Radflos with the same SPC arms in terms of measured droop. Even the extended travel Icons and SPC combo only beats out the OME setup by 0.25 inch of actual measured droop at the hub. One quarter inch. Underwhelming.

I wonder if much of our perceptions are influenced by the harsh compression and underdamped rebound on the OME shocks(?)
All it takes is to pull your bottom shock bolt and jack up the front end you will see clearly how much they are limiting.

But your right, even if they were longer they would likely have the same harsh unloading issues it would not be as bad though.

Sent from my iPhone

^ How is the ATRAC being triggered? Are the shocks so "tight" that the tires are just skimming the ground over bumps?

It depends on how high the op has his tb cranked. But yes, the tires leave the ground quite often, thus causing the ATRAC to kick in. It is the worst up hill.

Sent from my iPhone

After 2500+ miles on the 2.5 medium lift from slee, I'm not loving the harsh ride (unless I have 800lbs of people/cargo) and lack of front wheel travel. I on some uneven bumps under acceleration my front tires chirp and the 'trac' light blinks. Everything is adjusted properly, I know this is because there is not much travel on those shocks. What are people doing to correct this?
The only way to correct this would be to either lower the suspension to 1 1/2" of lift or get better shocks. I was skeptical that swapping to a high end shock such as the icons would eliminate the problem but every one I have talked to that have made the switch say it has.
My buddy just swapped from ome to icon and says virtually eliminated the harsh unloading. I'm hopping to get some seat time with him to see how it feels. If the icons don't solve the problem I have been considering swapping the TB for coil-overs.

If you can afford to loose a bit of lift that will make a big difference as well. Just dropping mine down a 1/2" made a big difference. Another thing to look at is how tight the top shock bolt is, if it's really cranked down on the bushing this will add to the harshness. I think it would also help to swap out the poly bushings on top of the shock for some softer rubber ones. Hopefully this helps and good luck.

Sent from my iPhone

Wow, lots of activity in here. So both sides measure 21.5 inches from the center of the sombrero to the fender. Once I jack up one side it extends to 24 inches. So I am well within the 50-60mm tolerance. Is this just the characteristic of the OMEs?

It depends on how high the op has his tb cranked. But yes, the tires leave the ground quite often, thus causing the ATRAC to kick in. It is the worst up hill.

Sent from my iPhone

Yes, this is very annoying on uneven uphill bumpy streets near me. The BFGs are barking constantLy.

Wow, lots of activity in here. So both sides measure 21.5 inches from the center of the sombrero to the fender. Once I jack up one side it extends to 24 inches. So I am well within the 50-60mm tolerance. Is this just the characteristic of the OMEs?
You will notice that ome says at least 50-60 but does not mean that is ideal.
The problem is more the preload than the shock, when you crank up the tb it is taking much more force to keep the vehicle at that height, now say you add more weight with bumpers winch ect and you have to crank them up even more to keep the desired ride height. You have all the extra weight to hold it down when sitting there but as soon as you start to take some of that weight away by driving up hill going over a speed bump to fast accelerating hard ect. The extra force pushes the tire down so fast and with so much force that it bottoms out hard! This will also have the affect you are describing due to traction loss, when the suspension unloads you loose traction resulting in the ATRAC engaging. The shock has to have a pretty stiff rebound to dampen the force of the tb.
No cheep shock is going to have the ability to do this.

Sent from my iPhone

You will notice that ome says at least 50-60 but does not mean that is ideal.
The problem is more the preload than the shock, when you crank up the tb it is taking much more force to keep the vehicle at that height, now say you add more weight with bumpers winch ect and you have to crank them up even more to keep the desired ride height. You have all the extra weight to hold it down when sitting there but as soon as you start to take some of that weight away by driving up hill going over a speed bump to fast accelerating hard ect. The extra force pushes the tire down so fast and with so much force that it bottoms out hard! This will also have the affect you are describing due to traction loss, when the suspension unloads you loose traction resulting in the ATRAC engaging. The shock has to have a pretty stiff rebound to dampen the force of the tb.
No cheep shock is going to have the ability to do this.

Sent from my iPhone

Ok, so I just need to deal with this. Maybe I'll just go over to Home Depot and get a few hundred pounds of top soil and throw it in the back. Once the truck is loaded up a bit, it rides perfect. I just had 4 people in it plus luggage on a airport run, 85mph on the highway and you'd think I was in my 750. Firm but smooth.

Thanks for all the input, guys. I'm going to do some light offroading this weekend for the first time since it was lifted, I'm sure the added ground clearance is going to make things easier and that's what it's for.

Ok, so I just need to deal with this. Maybe I'll just go over to Home Depot and get a few hundred pounds of top soil and throw it in the back. Once the truck is loaded up a bit, it rides perfect. I just had 4 people in it plus luggage on a airport run, 85mph on the highway and you'd think I was in my 750. Firm but smooth.

Thanks for all the input, guys. I'm going to do some light offroading this weekend for the first time since it was lifted, I'm sure the added ground clearance is going to make things easier and that's what it's for.

@maxse01 Did you ever solve this problem? We have two 100's and I want to lift both, but definitely don't want to create a problem. We don't wheel our trucks, admittedly, it is more for aesthetics than function. Also, admittedly, I do not want to spend big bucks for an Icon or similar setup. TIA

@maxse01 Did you ever solve this problem? We have two 100's and I want to lift both, but definitely don't want to create a problem. We don't wheel our trucks, admittedly, it is more for aesthetics than function. Also, admittedly, I do not want to spend big bucks for an Icon or similar setup. TIA

Hello!

Yes, in a way. I added about 700lbs by way of front and rear bumpers, winch, dual batteries, compressor and skid plates. :)

LOL that's one way to skin the cat. Are you still running the OME lift or did you upgrade?

Still running it, almost 80,000 miles and it doesn't feel tired at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom