Oil Weights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to replace the oil in my 74 fj 40's front and rear diff plus the transfer case. Also - oil change on F engine. What type of oil(s) am i looking at to do all this? Is it as easy as it looks when I crawl under? (Bolt on bottom of each to drain, bolt on top of each to add) Anything special I should know?

The tranny and transfer case use the same kind of gear oil. The brand of oil for the engine and trans are subject to a lot of opinion. There is an excllent technical write-up on oil. Do a google search on A.T.I.S Oil also do a search on this site because this was discssued recently. There is also information on oil filters with the last post being in the last few days.

Changing the oil and filter are easy from the engine. The tranny and trans should be easy as well.

The bolt to add for the tranny and trans should be on the side. Hopefully you either have an owners manual, factory manual or Haynes manual. You can get an owners manual from man-s-free and the show you how this is done.

Good Luck! Happy Searching

Oil filter: just about anything but FRAM. But for a really cool look, that Black OEM filter with Toyota printed on the side is the best.
Mobil 1 synthetic oil: you won't go wrong. But Castrol Syntech is nice. Any dino oil is probably OK, just get the right weight and change it every 3000 miles or 3 months and you will do no damage.
Tranny/trans/diff is 80/90 hypoid gear oil. Seems to me someone said that GL5 automatic will slip through the cracks more easily.

All mentioned above is good advice. Will also add that NAPA Gold is a top quality filter (Both air and Oil). Last coaching tip is to pull the FILL plugs on tranny/TC/diffs before you drain the oil. On some occassions folks drain their diffs just in time to find out they can't get the fill plug out ...

Just as RICE stated make sure that you can get the Diff. Fill bolt off first before draining it. I'm my case I had a pain to get the fill plug off. good luck. :)

Don't forget to put the drain plugs back in before putting in the neew oil! I walked up to my buddy's car and was wondering about the huge pool of oil spreading out from underneath it! :doh:

Rocky

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom