Oil Mystery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was having the engine on my '76 fj40 rebuilt and everything was going well until it was time to put it back together. The mechanic doing the work noticed that the head was not getting any oil. The oil pump is fine, he got over 60 psi spinning it with a power drill and ran the engine for about 45 minutes hand oiling it but never got any oil from the block up to the head. I searched around the forums for a possible solution and found some similar problems that had been resolved by checking the head gasket and aligning the cam bearings. he pulled the head gasket to make sure that it was installed in the correct direction and when that failed to fix it took it back to the machine shop. they found that the cam bearings were aligned and couldn't find any defect in the engine. they ran wires through the weep holes and everything was clear, no blockage. the machine shop and mechanic are both stumped. the only lead i have to really work of is that the mechanic ordered a oil pump that he said as badly machined and did not mount correctly and ordered a second one that he installed. could it be that the first oil pump was correct and there was a missing part or it was supposed to have a gap? Any leads or direction in resolving the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack

I think Poser posted something about reversing the rod that the rocker arms pivot around to get oil to the head. Swap the rod end for end? Evidently this rod is drilled for oil, but the hole is not centered. Check with him.

Krusty

The cam shaft is drilled in the #3 journal to allow oil to the head ever 1/4 revolution of the camshaft. If the holes are not lined up on the camshaft, you won't get any oil out to the rockers. Did you try rotating the cam with a breaker bar while spinning the pump?
EDIT: And assuming this is a 2F, this is the original camshaft? If it's an F camshaft the oiling goes through #2, not #3 journal, so that would block oil to the head as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom