Oil Leaks - What to do (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I pulled the tub of last week and would like to plan out my next step. I have no plans to take the motor of the frame as it runs just fine (175Kmi) but I would like to clean it up and fix the leaks. I already did the head cover gasket but as for the rest, any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!
IMG_3344_1000x1000.jpg
IMG_3339_1000x1000.jpg
IMG_3343_1000x1000.jpg

Purchase the seals and gaskets, and replace them...

Front cover, front main seal, side cover, oil pan, rear main seal....

:meh:

As it sits you can do everything but the rear main.

The pan gasket always leaks, do that first. Your front seal would be easy, so do that second and since you've gone to the trouble of pulling the harmonic balancer, do the timing cover gasket too.

If the rear main is leaking you will have to separate the motor and transmission. That's not too bad of a job with the body removed.

You have access to everything right there. I can only dream of having that kind of space. Remove manifolds, distributor, etc., & give everything a good power cleaning before you get started. Or do it manually as I have to do. You will be happy you did & it isn't that time consuming compared to the results. Since you're going to be buying a gasket set, it won't cost you anything but a little more time. Then you can proceed as advised above.

Thanks for all the responses. I do not want to take short cuts here. The resources I have saved by starting with a rust free vehicle, I can put into here. Next step is pressure washing.

So so far I have:

oil pan
front main
front cover (is this the same as timing cover?)
side cover
rear main (clutch is chattering due to contamination I guess so need to open and check)

I did the manifolds 5 years ago with the new and improved gasket, should be fine, right?

where do you thing all the muck on the tranny/t case came from?

Any idea where to get all of these. Also, I need the clutch lever booth and slave cylinder booth.

too many questions... thanks again.

Last edited:
My '40 leaks like crazy, too! I must have mentioned it around the house a time or two, because the other day our 3-year old son told my wife he put a block under his toy truck "so it won't leak oil on the rug."

There's not much to do other than to track the leaks down one by each, and fix 'em. It's nothing but seals and gaskets and patience!

Good luck!

:)

I have a 1978 fj40 and planning to rebuild the engine. I was thinking of installing a 350 chevy but cost is over my budget. I replaced the gaskets in the engine a few years ago, it's one of the best investment I made on my "FJ40 TANK"

GOOD LUCK!
PEACE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom