Oil leaks - At what point are you better off pulling the motor/trans/tc rather than fixing them in place? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What could one expect to pay for this, using the OEM kit?
The OEM seal kit is about $150 (04445-60050) but lots of guys have run the Gates kit from Rock Auto for about $35. Redhead charges about $425 for the kit and rebuild plus shipping.

dont forget to change the hoses and heater valve on the firewall, the valve will get brittle over time due to the plastic getting old

^^^^^

Agreed. At least check it.

Mine didn't look all that bad (on the outside) but once I pulled the hoses:

Heater Valve Brittle.jpg
Heater Valve New.jpg

I did the distributor o-ring, front seal, and oil pump o-ring which stopped a lot of my leaks. I've pretty much taken the stance that this winter I'll pull the engine and do a rebuild. I've got a spare transmission and transfer case which I'll get rebuilt ahead of time. The fix this then hope something else that's not been rebuilt/replaced doesn't fail has just gotten old with me. Especially since I want to do some cross country trips and camping out at Yellowstone and Eastern Washington State.

We found out we won't be allowed back in our office until at least January so I've got the time LOL.

Spent yesterday and today working on it, mostly cleaning, painting, and getting ready for re-assembly. Initially I wasn't going to pull the axles, but figured what the heck I'm already this far, and I've always wanted a set of those shiny 'just gone through' axles on one of my rigs. The ultrasonic has been a blessing for small parts.

I stopped today after I got the front axle out (long day, started at 7am). Tomorrow I'm hoping to finish cleaning up both axles and painting. I'm using Tacoma Screw high solids spray paint (which I've had excellent luck with). I've also used it for all the other stuff I've painted (a LOT of stuff). If you guys have any tips for prep/paint please let me know.

1595567831056.jpeg

1595567869164.jpeg

1595567911252.jpeg

Excellent job.

That's a nicely equipped shop, gotta get a 'lift' put in mine one of these days.

Can't wait to see the completed project.

Excellent job.

That's a nicely equipped shop, gotta get a 'lift' put in mine one of these days.

Can't wait to see the completed project.

Thanks, it’s a game changer for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom