Oil Galley plug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd like to hear a bit more about this potentially lethal problem point. Why can it spontaneously blow (Sounds like a hideous design flaw) and how do ya fix it? Do you drill it out and put in a threaded plug? Is there anything that can be done without taking off the head?

The plug can be replaced with a 1/8 NPT threaded pipe plug without removing the head. I removed the valve cover and the one headbolt that the oil flows around. With the bolt removed you can shove a piece of rag into the hole to catch any metal chips. Drill out the old plug and tap for 1/8 pipe. I coated the pipe plug with epoxy before screwing it in. Its not hard to do and takes about an hour going slowly.

From what I've read, the most common failure of the plug is on rebuilt engines that have had the head hot tanked. The hot tank loosens the plug and the increased oil pressure from the rebuild blows it out. Yea, its a design flaw but it doesn't usually show up until the engine is into its second life.

I know of several high mileage 3FE's that have blown their plug that were not rebuilds. The 3FE for some reason is slightly more susceptible to this problem than the F or 2F.

Are 3F/E head bolts installed in the plastic range like the 1fzfe? Meaning torque to spec, turn 90* then another 90*.

Any head gasket problems removing/installing just 1 head bolt?

By the books the torque on a 1988 3fe is 93 ft-lbs, on a 88 3vz-e it's the 27#-33# then 90*then another 90*

I wouldn't be afraid of removing just one head bolt.

Thanks much for the info. A couple of years ago I was looking at a 62 with a new motor for sale. The owner described how his old engine had suddenly started spurting oil everywhere, so he figured it was time for a new one. Forgive me for what may seem like a stupid question, but would there be any value in cleaning up the area around the plug and dabbing some JB weld on it? I read somewhere else that some people have pulled the plug and filled it with the goop, so....

Torque-to-yield head bolts are disposable. ie you shouldn't reuse them when reinstalling the head. 2F bolts are reusable. I would think 3Fs are also. What does a set of 1FZ headbolts go for?

As for gluing the plug. I'm a big fan of glue but in this case it wouldn't give me the peace of mind that tapped threads do. I used epoxy on my threaded plug to assure the seal, not to hold it in place.

Head bolts are pricey. They can typically be re-used a time or 2. Measure the length and compare with spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom