Oil for lexus lx 470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys just wondering is the 5w 40 engine oil ok to use instead of the recommended 5w 30 on the v8 engines ?Will it make a difference. Thanks.

Toyota Engineers probably had a reason they put 5w30 on the oil cap...but that may have been that they just wanted a weight that would work anywhere in the world, not the best weight for your operating conditions. I tend to defer to Toyota on these things, then the locals. e.g. if everyone recommends carrying bug spray or not drinking the water, then listen. If 5w30 isn't available, there's probably a reason for that too.

I'd give the 5w40 a whirl, keep an eye on my mileage and send a few samples to Blackstone. More than likely, there won't be any measurable difference, but if you're going with 5w40 to save a few bucks, make sure it doesn't hurt your engine's efficiency or decrease your recommended oil change intervals...negating the up-front savings.

5W-40 is just fine for here in the Uae, I use it on my 6 cylinder 100 series.

IMG_0150.JPG

I've used 5 w 30 in my LX470 for 160k miles, semi synthetic and changed every 5k miles religiously in the US. Never an issue and I presume Toyota engineers were paid lots of money to research this for maximum longevity for the engine in all conditions. I don't see any advantage to changing to a heavier weight unless for some reason it's not available in the UAE?

Otherwise, follow with what's in the manual.

Keep in mind the temperatures here reach 130+ Degrees Fahrenheit often in the summer and sand/dust storms are not unheard of.
I understand that. I don't believe dust storms would affect the oil weight selection. We have temps close to that here in the US, southern Arizona can regularly reach the 110's F. I presume your vehicle's cooling system manages that heat, but synthetic oil is always a good choice in extreme heat, regardless of weight.

If in doubt, email your Lexus dealer, express your concern and ask what they typically use.

Just use whatever you like that is OEM rated or better.

Viscosity is something you'll need to decide upon based on the average temps where you live/drive.

The 2UZFE is known to be 'easy' on oil. It doesn't utilize an EGR system and the oil 'routing' makes it an efficient lubrication system.

The engine is generally thought to be one that runs 'cool' under most conditions.

I like Rotella because you get a good oil for not much money and it holds up well. It has Zinc and Phosphorous contents that act as anti-wear agents. These have been reduced in most modern engine oils (for passenger cars) because they can have a negative effect on Catalytic Converters, but I'll take increased engine life over replacing my Cats (every once in a blue moon) every time.

Any good oil in the 2UZFE will serve you well.

I use Mobil 1 0W-40, just to throw another weight in the ring. I've done the recommended 7.5k interval, but I think I'll send in a sample this next time around to see if I can get away with extending it.

I use Mobil 1 0W-40, just to throw another weight in the ring. I've done the recommended 7.5k interval, but I think I'll send in a sample this next time around to see if I can get away with extending it.
I have a question for this group using different weight oil... Why?

Why use anything other than what the manufacturer recommends? Is there a particular reasoning behind it? Cost? Experience?

I understood from a previous post that the OP has a US-spec LX470 in the UAE. Out of curiosity, what is the recommendation from the owners manual or from the dealer for a GCC-spec Land Cruiser with the 2UZ-FE in the UAE?

Why use anything other than what the manufacturer recommends? Is there a particular reasoning behind it? Cost? Experience?

Oil quality has improved over the years. As long as the oil you use meets or exceeds the specs the manual requires, and you understand the characteristics of the oil you choose, I don't see any issue with it.

Manufacturer recommendations are not made in the interest of engine longevity so much as they are for the compromise between fuel economy, ease of dealer stocking (ie don't have to inventory more types/grades that absolutely necessary) and cost.

Me personally - I am much more interested in HTHS and CCV than in 40C viscosity. It is at the extremes where the gains are to be made in terms of wear reduction.

I think those boys in UAE are wise to consider running a heavier oil IF that heavier oil gets them a higher HTHS (it usually does). It is not very often they are worried about CCV.

That's my $0.02, FWIW.

An old song.. If one goes to Mobil Australia or Shell UAE sites and dials the vehicle in, one could easily discover that 5W-40 is recommended for syn and 20W-50 for mineral oils for premium protection (along with other weights). At least, that's what I have discovered years ago. As for "engineers", it's the legal and marketing departments first. CAFE, emissions, etc. This engine is relatively easy on oil. So, use quality 5W-30 with confidence for normal application. A fellow runs these engines in a mining application for days on at 4k rpm on Redline 0W-30 (nice HTHS) and says they cannot fail the engines. M1 0W-40 is a great oil and a good compromise in regards to viscosity. TGMO 5W-30 is a meh oil from a lab perspective, but Mr Chandler ran this engine in his Tundra for a tad over a million mile mark.

I understood from a previous post that the OP has a US-spec LX470 in the UAE. Out of curiosity, what is the recommendation from the owners manual or from the dealer for a GCC-spec Land Cruiser with the 2UZ-FE in the UAE?

I think its 5w 40 if I'm correct. 5w 30 not easy to find.

I do understand the other considerations, such a fuel mileage, etc. But...it seems there is really no scientific reason to run anything else, just mostly preference or "feel". I have always placed my trust in the engineers that designed the engine and tested it for all conditions and the millions of dollars the manufacturer spent to support it.

But, as the OP seems to indicate, he can't find a particular oil in his area of the world, then he has to go with the next closest spec. So that makes sense regardless of any other reasons.

Oil. Use some. Change it. Repeat...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom