Oil Drain Plug Torque (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wxm

Threads
Based on the recent bad experiences at the dealer, I finally decide to do the oil change myself. My service manual only mentions to torque the drain plug to the spec, but never says what the spec is, neither can I find it from the web. Does anyone know what the torque is for oil drain plug for 96 LX 450?

Thanks

Somewhere around 20 ft/lbs... I have a sheet at work that tells me drain pug torques for most vehicles.

:hmm:

I can't remember... :doh:

18 ft/lbs for my 91

Tighten it enough to hold without stripping.

Not to be a dick but if you have to ask this you should not be changing your own oil. A little common sense goes a long way.

1995 FSM says 18 ft. lbs. w/new gasket

Thanks, guys. I did it.:)

Not to be a dick but if you have to ask this you should not be changing your own oil. A little common sense goes a long way.

Well, you are being a jerk. The guy asked a simple question and we are here to encourage guys to do their own maintenance. A lot of guys start with simple oil changes and move up fairly quickly to brakes, then to birf jobs and other maintenance.

If you didn't know the torque value then just keep your mouth shut and let someone answer his question that knows the answer or is willing to look it up.

-B-

Welcome to MUD :flipoff2:

Do a 'search' on "torque specs". You'll find about any/and everything you need :)

Well, you are being a jerk. The guy asked a simple question and we are here to encourage guys to do their own maintenance. A lot of guys start with simple oil changes and move up fairly quickly to brakes, then to birf jobs and other maintenance.

If you didn't know the torque value then just keep your mouth shut and let someone answer his question that knows the answer or is willing to look it up.

-B-

You said it perfectly! I have been doing quite a bit of learning with my 80 (had only done brakes and oil on other vehicles before this one) and what you said is what I was thinking.

Jeeze, you guys are sensitive. Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Thanks -B- for the support. If it weren't you guys, I would never even try... I am getting there.

Last edited:
Jeeze, you guys are sensitive. Good luck to you!

Actually more like you were insensitive.

Your slam came out of left field and was not-at-all called for.

I think it was 23lbs

If you're sharp enough to inquire about and use correct torque values, you're starting out ahead of many other shade tree mechanics.

Exactly, I am not ashamed to admit that I ALWAYS refer to the right torques and use one of three torque wrenches to tighten EVERYTHING except for screws and those blankity blankity bolts on our driveshafts just cause its too damn tiring to try to rotate the shafts, lock them, tighten the bolt, then rotate and lock and repeat! Otherwise except for extreme pros who have developed torque wrenches within their wrists and know when to stop tightening, I think this is the mark of someone who thinks things through thoroughly. :cheers:

-B-

Actually more like you were insensitive.

Your slam came out of left field and was not-at-all called for.

I agree, well said guys, thanks for lookin' out for the newbies!:beer:

I was wondering what the specs were myself. I usually just go with the "tight enough" feel, so it's good to know what the actual spec is.

-B-

Here Here. That's exactly how I started with help from a lot of extremely helpful people here on the board.

WXM - Kudos to you for doing your own oil change!!! Keep it up. Front brakes are next, then rear and with mud help, you'll be doing your own birfs before long!

Thanks again for the encouragement. Funny I was thinking about that today too. May give CDan a call for the brake pads...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom