Diff drain and fill plug torque? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
Does anyone have the torque specs handy for 80 series differential drain and fill plugs handy? I've searched Mud and the FSM, and must be using the wrong search terms because I just can't find them.

Looks like 49 N*m

I've never used a torque wrench on a drain or fill plug though, you're supposed to replace the crush washer every time you pull the plug and I just go by "feel" to when the crush washer crushes and then stop.

1687299790819.png

Google works better. Thought it was mid 30s, 39lb seems most commonly listed. Slightly less for tcase, mid-high 20s. Don't stress it, get 'em snug is good enough, just don't overdo it

Last edited:
Thanks all.

FWIW, and for future reference, all the relevant torque values are listed in a table in every section in the FSM.

Thank you.

I tried searching by kewords in the fsm, but didn't find it. I know it is a me error, not a fsm issue, but I often have trouble locating things.

Oh, and to answer the above question, I am using the original style 24mm hex magnetic drain and regular 24mm hex fill. I bought new ones to start fresh. The onea on it had clearly been attempted wirh a 12 point socket and were worse for the wear. I realize some people prefer the internal hex/allen style, but I am happy with the original.

Don't forget to loosen the fill plug first !

Aye. Always. I am baselining a new to me rig. Fill plug first, drain plug next. Six point socket only. New sealing rings/gaskets/crush washers.

Used my favorite trick with a plastic hose and the compressor to fill. So much easier than any other method

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom