Oil Change Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Going to be doing my first oil change on my 85 and was wondering what and where I should get my stuff.

I have read and watched a couple of videos and seems like Royal Purple 20/50 and a Denso filter are popular.

I can not source the Denso filter and the Royal Purple is close to 10 a quart at the local Napa auto parts.

Any other suggestions?

There are many opinions on this... here's mine.

I would not run 20w-50 in an 2F unless you're in a 100F temperature environment. You will also lose 1 mpg running an oil thick (I did...).

I would run Shell Rotella 5w-40 diesel oil. $24/gallon at Walmart and has lots of zinc and phosphorous for our flat tappet engines. It's a great winter oil - given the 5W rating on the lower end of the spectrum.

You can run cheaper diesel oils like 15w-40 T1 Rotella or any number of other plain-jane diesel oils - those would be find in hotter temps. Some diesel oils are hard to find right now, so if you see what you want, buy it at that time.

I would not overthink the filter. The old big-can Denso filters are hard to find (mail order deal) and are $30 each. Get a Motorcraft FL1A or Purolator filter and be done with it. Avoid Fram filters.

Me and my dad run Shell Rotella t4 or t5 (conventional or semi-synthetic) in all our cruisers, whether they are an F, 2F, 3B, 1KZ, 1HDFT etc etc. Just overall good oil, choose the weight of the oil-based off your environment. Then again at the end of the day, oil is just oil. Wear differences should be minimal along as these old engines have 30-40 weight oil

I was appalled how much friction 20W-50 oil ADDED to the engine. Too thick. My horsepower dropped very noticeably. 2F engine definitely had less power.

Thanks all. Appreciate the feedback.

if you simply follow the 1985 FJ60 owners manual you can't go wrong on the viscosity

we are entering WINTER here now , and since your in Oregon , the 10W40 weight and the chart rules should apply to you for sure ...

- as far as paying $10 QT for any oil , FULL Synthetic is simply gonna hover around that no matter what brand you choose from .........

- you get what you pay for with 99% of all auto parts , you install $2.99 GHETTO-GRADE Conventional oil , you can expect Ghetto Grade $2.99 results when it starts burning and making various deposits inside your 2F and hardened seals and O-Rings etc.......

- a 10W-40 High Mileage full synthetic like MOBILE ! is what you should look to , at Walmart or SAMS club comes in a 5QT container ,,,,,,

- YES , this is indeed rocket science , when it comes to this topic , so treat it as such and install space-age modern oil in your 1985 2F

This is a 1985 FJ60 USA spec owners manual page …

You can either obey the OEM original print media stated facts or consider urban legends and wise tails …

I personally obey TOYOTA on this topic …

Why would I not ?

8946AA98-2B16-48BE-94DD-3650375C8FEC.jpeg

Last edited:
- you get what you pay for with 99% of all auto parts , you install $2.99 GHETTO-GRADE Conventional oil , you can expect Ghetto Grade $2.99 results when it starts burning and making various deposits inside your 2F and hardened seals and O-Rings etc.......

I call BS. I have/had a FLEET of Toyotas with 250-300K miles on them that have never seen expensive oil. '99 Camry at 304K, '03 Highlander with 302K, '98 4Runner with 266K, '89 FJ62 with 261K, many more with just under 200K miles, etc. None burn appreciable oil. None was ever run with anything but conventional oil and often Walmart oil (made by Warren Mfg. in Nebraska - perfectly good oil).

The biggest enemy of engines is low oil, or grossly-neglected change intervals. In older engines, synthetic tends to leak out faster and cost more. Is is terrible, no! It is necessary/required for long engine life - no. Use a decent oil of a correct weight, keep it full, change it every 5K miles. Real oil testing here shows that 99% of oils meet and exceed the same standard, including less expensive ones: The Petroleum Quality Institute of America - https://pqia.org/

YMMV (literally)!

Project Farm on YouTube. That’s all. Pure unbiased testing.

So many videos on everything ever. I can see this thread quickly becoming one of those oil debate threads that have been happening forever. Oil is oil just make sure your engine has some haha

I'm a Rotella guy myself. Like others have said, don't overthink this one. My modern car engines get the best synthetic. My Land Cruisers all get regular Rotella.

for an old 2f thats never run on synthetic ever? Costco Kirkland 15w40. Rebuilt 2f with new seals and has been running on synthetic? Mobil1 high mileage from costco. Either way, get it from costco. Youll save a ton of money over the auto parts store or ordering online

Hi, I run all 9 cruisers on Mobil one synthetic 10w -30 and have for 40 years with no engine problems. Also run our ram 1500 the same way.

Dumb question here, my cruiser gets driven occasionally and not in our winter. I would say probably 1000 miles a year. It’s been two years since I had the oil changed when a lot of other work was done to the vehicle. So about 2000 miles or less on this oil.
so you guys do oil changes every x number of miles or if low mileage driven, x number of years/ moths? I haven’t owned a vehicle that is driven very much before. Always had daily drivers.

any advise on this?

Dumb question here, my cruiser gets driven occasionally and not in our winter. I would say probably 1000 miles a year. It’s been two years since I had the oil changed when a lot of other work was done to the vehicle. So about 2000 miles or less on this oil.
so you guys do oil changes every x number of miles or if low mileage driven, x number of years/ moths? I haven’t owned a vehicle that is driven very much before. Always had daily drivers.

any advise on this?
Time or mileage. Get it changed at least once a year for your scenario.

any advise on this?
I do once a year on the 60. It's doing about a 1000 miles a year for the past few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom