Oh Crap! Did I get the right 4L60E Tranny? Is there a difference? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:bang:

Bought a 4L60E Tranny (4x4 One that came off a 99 Z71). Now I'm reading some posts that says to get the 2WD version. I thought 4L60E had no differences (A penny is a penny type thing). I'm going to sync up to an 1978 FJ40 transfer case on my 78 FJ40. Does it matter when I get the advance adapters for this? CRUD!!! I'm CLUELESS!!!

2 WD is the one you want. I hear they are not the same when it comes to the AA adaptor fiiting...

Don't hate me cuz I'm Mexican ...

Yeah ... that's what I'm trying to find out? Can I still use the 4x4 tranny version of the 4L60E.

Probably be quickest to call up AA tomorrow and ask them. Hopefully it will work out for you.

:cheers:

Yeah ... that's what I'm trying to find out? Can I still use the 4x4 tranny version of the 4L60E.

Yes you can.
However, there IS a rub.
You will need to get the AA output shaft and have it installed into the trans. As Im to understand you basically have to tear down the tranny to do this.
I know NOTHING about transmissions, so I opted to have it done. It wasnt terribly cheap. IIRC I was getting quotes about 4-500.00 bucks from local shops.
I ended up taking mine to a guy down in Cali. and had him basically rebuild the thing. Apparently these transmissions are KNOWN for a certain valve to go out that will cause problems, so it might be worth it to have that component up graded at that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom