Offroad Armor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

:flipoff2:

Nope, but was with Big when he was hammered and asking me what to type. :flipoff2: Ah, under the influence on both accounts. :flipoff2:

[quote author=alaskacruiser link=board=2;threadid=8778;start=msg76205#msg76205 date=1071537644]
break drivetrain parts, rollover, or scratch and ding your vehicle offroad- any idiot with a Cruiser can do that [/quote]

Are you saying that if someone beats on their junk that they are an idiot? :-\

Care to rephrase? :eek:

Here's the deal, you're taking a truck into the woods. If you don't want any scratches or are going to cry if you get any, then stick to the mall parking lots and the grocery stores. It's that simple. If you think that some plastic or magnet is going to allow you to wheel your junk and not hurt anything, then I will laugh pretty hard when you post asking what to do since your truck is broken down on the trail and you don't know how to swap a birfield. Getting scratches is part of taking the truck offroad. Some guys like to be posers, well that's cool, but if you're pretending to get into wheeling, then be ready for the cost. :flipoff2:

I may be new to the 80 series and this forum but I've been wheelin' Cruisers for over 20 years and I'll definitely side with the Armor-all types. My theory is "keep it looking as good as you can for as long as you can", because it starts with scratches, then scrapes to dents then rust and then it becomes a lost cause. It's happened to me and I've seen it happen to others.

I live in a rainforest and while it may not make sense to some of you in the drier climes, we have vegetation that grows fast and thick. More often than not the surface is greasy and the "plenty of room" you have turns into the friction car wash down the side of your truck.

So :cheers: to alaskacruiser and Scott, I've sourced the local dealer for my 50' roll (C$193) and I'm going to wrap that rascal.

Junk- if someone breaks parts in situations that a more experienced wheeler might be able to get through with little to no damage, I don't consider that person a good wheeler. I've never seen you wheel, so I'm not commenting on you. But some people use the fact that they've broken this or that to imply that they are a good wheeler, and I'm just saying that's NOT necessarily a sign of a good wheeler.

As for the magnets- nobody said it is going to protect your birfs on the trail. I could just as well ask "What's the use in installing sliders? Rocker damage is part of taking your truck offroad". But that is not true- sliders will help to protect against most rocker panel damage.

In the same way, magnets are protection against scratches offroad. You (and others) talk about it as if major pinstripes are inevitable. Just look at the pics Scott posted for proof that this is NOT true- if you have the magnetic sheets on, they absorb most of the scratches. If you can protect your vehicle's paint, why not do it?? Taking your vehicle into the woods does NOT mean it has to get scratched up badly. I'd be interested in your response to this after you look at Scott's pics. How is this any different from sliders? Sliders protect your rockers, magnetic sheets protect your paint. In my mind, the more protection, the better.

It surprises me that some "hardcore" wheelers are so concerned about their image that they cannot admit the obvious protection these sheets provide. A picture speaks a thousand words- look at Scott's pics and then respond.

I still say bedliner is the answer, the middle ground, and the way to go :flipoff2:

My total body coat plan is now down to the center of the hood, the roof, and the lower two tone of my 1991.

Now to just afford it!

I can see how magnets would help you reduce scratches, but they are going to only help with really superficial scratches. If you get into a wall, thick branch, etc you will still mess things up through the magnet (dents, etc).

I also feel the risk of peeling it off on trail, worrying about it all the time to ensure it is on there and not sitting on the trail waiting to stick to the drivetrain of the next truck, etc is just not worth it. Lots of people wheel for lots of reasons....my reasoning doesn't include stressing over little scratches and the worry of if it is scratched, if my magnets are on, etc.

I would rather just enjoy my time in the woods.

Wheel it, drive intelligently, if you scratch it, and if you really care, repaint it when it was time.

Stock paint (especially that 6M1) shows off scratches like no other paint on a truck I have ever seen so both sides have some merit.

Agree to disagree!

Well, as Dan says, agree to disagree.

A few things though.

• I never said I was a good wheeler. I have not been wheeling my junk for 20 years, and believe I learn something more every time out.
  • I never said that by someone breaking something made them a better wheeler. You simply insuated that to be my belief (incorrectly I add)
  • I believe in taking it slow while wheeling and therefore tend to break less than a few others. The difference between sliders and your stickers is that the sliders protect the structure of the truck. I'm not talking appearance of the rockers, I'm talking pinch welds etc. There's a huge difference. If you think the stickers will protect your truck, then do whatever you want. Personally I believe they will lull you into a state of false security in thinking they are on when having come off, or thinking you can lean slightly into the tree then popping out your glass (not in one piece) and doing some more severe damage.

Ozzy (long time short for obviously) it's your truck, your money, your stickers blah blah blah. In my opinion, it's still a useless waste of money and obsurd. But that's just my opinion. :flipoff2:

alaskacruiser,

FWIW, I can see your point and, as many of the regulars know, I have experimented with paint protection. My test was on one wheeling trip up to a WW-II bomber crash site. The brush was thick and I knew the paint was going to take another beating since I had been on the trail a year earlier.

The magnetic panels look like a PITA to me. My "shrink wrap" experiment was also a PITA though it worked amazingly well... as do the panels.

If you are serious about getting paint protection then hook up with IdahoDoug and see what he can do for you with the clear 3M film. IMHO that is the best way to go though the initial cost will give you heartburn. Your problem will be getting someone to install it for you or taking the risk of a self-installed product done poorly.

Good Luck and keep us posted on whatever route you take.

Oh, and another piece of sage wisdom. If you wheel with buddies and you wheel with paint protection, you better have some thick skin. You *will* get teased. :D

-B-

Will your magnetic sheets protect against this kind of trail damage?
img_2082.jpg

>Will your magnetic sheets protect against this kind of trail damage?

No, but they will protect against the pinstripes you've no doubt got from all those trees. ;)

:cheers:

I wear a cup when I play baseball. Does that make me a pussy because I don't want my nuts cracked? Once I put a new paint on the rig I will look into some protection. I like my rig shiny on and off trail. Then again I also care about personal hygein. Even pretty boys can get dirty, I just don't like walking around with mud stains all the time!

And I wear grey underwear to hide my skids!!!! :)

[quote author=drohweder link=board=2;threadid=8778;start=msg76719#msg76719 date=1071636733]
I wear a cup when I play baseball. Does that make me a pussy because I don't want my nuts cracked?
[/quote]

No it doesn't....but playing baseball does :flipoff2: :cheers:

Just get a white Cruiser like mine. The only place you can SEE nature's pinstriping is on the black plastic around the side windows or on the roof rack. Think ahead BOYYZ - dark colors suck if you're trying to keep the paint nice :eek:

hey scott, i'm with you on this one. I like to wheel my truck. I don't mind having a few scratches and some mud and even a few personality marks. But i'm not trying to get scratches that will eventually rust. How much $$$$ to cover your cruiser? I've got the same green color and mine is almost as scratched as yours. :beer:

here in the southwest it's called 'desert pinstriping', and it is worn like a silver star- a badge of honor.

I like the skips etc- you can read miles of history in them.

the idea of magnetic stick ons for a land cruiser paint job is an oxymoron. live with the paint damage or drive something else.

sorry, not an 80 owner nor will I ever be.

rick d
BJ74
tucson, az

"sorry, not an 80 owner nor will I ever be."

That's too bad....and your point there Bud??

Guess yer in the wrong part of the list....or the real truth.. 80 envy!!!!

I've got the Sierra Pinstripes...nothing like Manzanita to really dig in to that fine clear coat. I personally think the magnets are a great idea if you are willing to spend the time to slap em on. Seing that I'm already striped to hell....I might as well not.

To each their own ya all!

rick_d- you said "live with the paint damage or drive something else". How about sliders? Is it "live with the rocker damage or drive something else"? Why not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom