Official LX570s Picture Thread (24 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got the front suspension redone, tires cleared. Mud time.

IMG_5025_HEIC-X2.jpg
What size meats?

Hey everyone,
Looking for some guidance on a bunch of things. Have 08' LX570 and recently damaged a few things on 3 day overlanding adventure through NH. Keeping in mind this is my wife's daily driver that I also off-road so trying to keep it as stock looking as possible.
1. Need new tires: Was thinking Yokohama Geolander AT/G015? I'd like to stay stock size and get best on road (80% of time) and off-road performance possible. Keeping in mind I'm in the northeast so we see snow.
2. I damaged my passenger side step and need to replace. Any ideas for options that look as stock or "normal" as possible but give me more protection.
3. Rear diff skid plate options?
4. Front & rear protection for rubbing on approach or departure? If I have to replace w/ aftermarket bumpers would like to look as stock as possible.

I know this is alot to ask, but trying to compromise as any heavy mods my wife says looks like a "zombie killing machine". Thanks everyone!!!!

There's one item that can improved the situation for all 4 things in one fell swoop. Upsized tires. That alone will create clearance to the diff, skids, approach/departure, and more. It also added traction and a suspension upgrade in and of itself as the additional sidewall does a lot to absorb irregularities.

That said, I understand that this is your wife's rig which has to keep some modicum of good behavior. Stock tires are 31.2" in diameter. A factory approved fitment for the 200-series is 285/70r17 on 17" Rock Warrior wheels that measure out to be 32.7", or good ol 33s. Keeping the factory 20s, an equivalent would be 285/55R20 (32.4"). It sounds like a small upgrade, but a meaningful upgrade that will make all the difference.

How comfortable is sleeping below freezing in a RTT?
Depends on your sleeping bag and padding. Would you do a heating source such as propane, diesel, or electric? A lot of different factors to make it a lot more livable.

*Edit*
We do a RTT in the cold often as a family (4 of us). We run 15-20 degree bags and a Buddy heater to offset the cold weather inside. We've done this down into the single digits.

Last edited:
Depends on your sleeping bag and padding. Would you do a heating source such as propane, diesel, or electric? A lot of different factors to make it a lot more livable.

*Edit*
We do a RTT in the cold often as a family (4 of us). We run 15-20 degree bags and a Buddy heater to offset the cold weather inside. We've done this down into the single digits.

Awesome. Asking because a RTT is gonna be my hunting setup. I've slept on the ground in -15F weather so I know how to get a good bag.

Awesome. Asking because a RTT is gonna be my hunting setup. I've slept on the ground in -15F weather so I know how to get a good bag.

I'm sure you're aware, but just make sure you've got some wheel level blocks (Maxtrax work well) to level the 200 out. One thing I've rarely ever found was level ground when out and about. The last thing you want to do is continually slide one direction or the other while trying to sleep.

If you're running the RTT on a Frontrunner or other style rack, you can make a little jig for a cheap Chinese Webasto knock off. (search Amazon for "12V diesel heater" for ~$150 or less). You can get these with a bluetooth heater control.

If your RTT has an annex, it is pretty easy to put a Mr Heater down below and put it on the low setting. It will for sure heat up the area up top in no time. We do this method and I find that I'm opening up a vent or two during the night.

Best of luck out there!

Didn't know those little diesel heaters were so affordable. Cool suggestion!

I have a Mr Heater that I use for ground tents, but it's not suitable to use in small spaces of a RTT or in car.

Another option for RTT is the 12V blanket heaters. They don't normally run above 60W due to standard 12V (cig lighter) current limitations ~10A, but that's 50-60W of heat your body won't have to generate to keep you warn at night. Don't expect a toasty warm bed when you jump in in cold temps, but you will be surprised how much it helps take the chill off when combined with your own body heat. If you have the power capacity, you could even run two smaller blankets and double the output.

LX Pic to stay on topic...
2-612616.jpg

Another option for RTT is the 12V blanket heaters. They don't normally run above 60W due to standard 12V (cig lighter) current limitations ~10A, but that's 50-60W of heat your body won't have to generate to keep you warn at night. Don't expect a toasty warm bed when you jump in in cold temps, but you will be surprised how much it helps take the chill off when combined with your own body heat. If you have the power capacity, you could even run two smaller blankets and double the output.

Yup, I've got a 12V electric blanket that truckers commonly use.

Last trip to Death Valley with a family of 4! sleeping in the car, I had it ready to go for the cold night. Plugged into my Goal Zero 1000 (~100Ah lithium), the battery reported 48W draw with a runtime over 12hrs with with roughly 70% battery reserve. That's the great things about the GZ as it has nice stat readouts to help manage use. In practice, and depending on temps, I imagine it to be able to run even longer as it cycles.

It did get down to 37 degrees by early morning, but the family was sufficiently toasty bundled up in sleeping bags so we didn't wind up turning it on. Waking up, it was more useful to autostart the car and let the heater warm things up.

Last edited:
How comfortable is sleeping below freezing in a RTT?
I’ve always been comfortable in the cold. Like it was mentioned, diesel heaters are a good option (never had one but I have a friend who uses one all the time, him and his family love it). Having a bag that is rated for the temp is great. We have a two person bag that’s rated for 20 and I always find it comfy my wife typically brings a wool blanket up, she runs colder.

Not all rtt’s are created equal when it comes to insulation. I’ve had two so far, a fold out cvt and now this roofnest. The cvt retained the heat from your body better than our current tent. I think this is also just a downside to wedge rtt’s (heard this from other wedge rtt owners). That being said I wouldn't go back to a fold out rtt after owning a wedge, way more convenient in every way.

Last thing, having lots of beverages before bed helps you stay warm!

Just got back from a month long trip with the LX. Kids were doing remote schooling so we figured let's do a road trip to see some national parks and do our best to socially distance from people. Saw Park City (planning to move there so it was an exploratory mission), Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches. Only took the truck off pavement on a few instances as I didn't prepare very well for offroad adventures. Next time for sure, as there are just so many great areas to explore.

The Lexus performed outstanding over the 5000 mile trip, towing my 19' fiberglass camper through all sorts of conditions. Kids were occupied with videos in the backseat, wife and I were comfortable with other creature comforts up front. If remote schooling keeps up we might do another trip in spring. Need to get some items addressed in the car and camper before that. Also wish that Starlink was GA as well :)

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_1550.JPG

IMG_1577.JPG

PXL_20201122_004124219.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg

Just got back from a month long trip with the LX. Kids were doing remote schooling so we figured let's do a road trip to see some national parks and do our best to socially distance from people. Saw Park City (planning to move there so it was an exploratory mission), Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches. Only took the truck off pavement on a few instances as I didn't prepare very well for offroad adventures. Next time for sure, as there are just so many great areas to explore.

The Lexus performed outstanding over the 5000 mile trip, towing my 19' fiberglass camper through all sorts of conditions. Kids were occupied with videos in the backseat, wife and I were comfortable with other creature comforts up front. If remote schooling keeps up we might do another trip in spring. Need to get some items addressed in the car and camper before that. Also wish that Starlink was GA as well :)

amazing! Quite envious of the freedom you managed to achieve. Bet that was a blast!

@smeagol That rig and setup is looking proper! Makes me wish I was on the open road again.

Pic to stay on topic
1606707374511.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom