Events/Trails OFFICIAL LCDC 10 Thread (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Really hope I get a spot this year. After eleven years of trying the natural way, my old a$$ (45) is having a baby in October. Don’t think extended road trips will be in my future for a few years.
Take heart. We’ve had a number of infants over the years…even in 110 degree Moab pre-runs before LCDC. It can be done. 👍🏼

Really hope I get a spot this year. After eleven years of trying the natural way, my old a$$ (45) is having a baby in October. Don’t think extended road trips will be in my future for a few years.
My boys started camping at 2, and loved it. So not too long!

Definitely a go. Just awaiting registration. Shouldn’t be too long.
Was wondering this too! Last year I missed the email, for registering..and was on waitlist (tho eventually was able to get in) but this yr am prepared this time 🙇‍♀️ to get in early on 🤞. Excited it’s gonna be in Ouray again!!

Well that's awesome. Kudos for that extra work.

And well yeah, the SxS are an ever growing concern. Occasionally there are some good seeds driving them though.

I’ll be honest. I love Ouray, but the sxs traffic, and specifically the rentals driven by folks that have no sense and no business out there really detracts from the experience to the point that it’s just not the same anymore.

You are correct that there are experienced and knowledgeable folks and we’ve met a lot of good people on the trail, but every year it seems like the ratio of knuckleheads increases.

I’ll be honest. I love Ouray, but the sxs traffic, and specifically the rentals driven by folks that have no sense and no business out there really detracts from the experience to the point that it’s just not the same anymore.

You are correct that there are experienced and knowledgeable folks and we’ve met a lot of good people on the trail, but every year it seems like the ratio of knuckleheads increases.
I would whole heartedly agree with your statement knuckleheads and all. Seems like even the good ones are staying away from the tourist areas these days so they do not accidentally get lumped into the same group.

The traffic concern Might be one reason to hit trails earlier in the morning. Last time in Ouray, I woke up early and hit Black Bear alone. Did the trail in 45 minutes (not exaggerating!) not counting 15 minutes I spent helping the only other vehicle I saw on the trail as they were terrified at that one turn that hugs rocks next to the water… I was flying…with zero traffic.

Early tends to beat renters because they usually can’t leave rental shops until later.

Last edited:
We just wrapped up working with the USFS/BLM last week which was the last major hurdle to opening registration. We're nailing down a few details and then will share more very soon via the email list.

The event will be significantly larger than the past couple years. We're targeting 75 though if we have enough leaders may go up to 100 or higher. We're also exploring some new approaches to registration to improve on historical challenges.

With any luck we'll open registration this month.

I'll be there with the paparazzi. Hoping to lead some new and interesting trails into the less explored gulches and basins.

thats good news. Wasn’t complaining if I get in great if not no biggie my wallet will be grateful for not shipping my lc200 to slee prior to lcdc.

@indycole I like the registration setup and with that many spots I think its going to be a very special year. You can put me down for leading Poughkeepsie Gulch with @Gregtoy144 as I know we'll be doing that one day with or without an official group. We had a blast leading it last time.

I would also be up for leading a big loooong Alpine Loop day. Like Mineral Creek/Engineer Pass to Lake City for lunch then back via Cinnamon Pass/California Gulch/Hurricane Pass/Corkscrew Gulch. It would be a bit earlier start and a long day, but a smaller group of like 6-8 trucks could make it work. We (@linuxgod and @mcgaskins) did it with 3 trucks last year including an extra stop at American Basin and it was a great day.

Poughkeepsie Gulch 2021
53553E7B-A44F-4E22-91CB-7257C7BD0DE0_1_102_o.jpeg
IMG_3214.jpeg

I for one have definitely thought about it:steer:

Just a little insight on this…. I’ve been working with the organizers of RMTR to coordinate our trail activities and to make sure our interactions will be smooth and very limited.
COTR will be based in Silverton, along with our group camp. RMTR will be based close to Ridgway. There’s an hours drive between the two. Besides a few sightings on trail I doubt we will even know both our groups are there. I’ve ran the same time as FJ Summit in the past and had no idea til after the event was over. We never saw much of their group when we were based in Silverton.
As you know the trail system is huge. We will be running about a dozen different trails each day giving us the luxury of having smaller groups.
Our events sharing the same timeframes means just a little more consideration and coordination by the organizers. Then it all works out. 👍
As is normal of late the biggest issue and concern well unfortunately be the SXSs on trail. 👎

Can confirm you guys were there during LCDC a few years back. I remember running into your crew at The Wall in 2021. We were pre-runnning Poughkeepsie Gulch on Friday before the group run on Saturday. It was a tricky day for the wall. Crawl Control bested a few locked jeeps that day. I think I have video of you going up it as well, but not using Crawl Control. :cool:

D6024B82-B7CA-42C3-960E-066C8B6B1873_1_105_c.jpeg

For those who have done the LCDC a few times but not led a trail before, please use your early registration to everyone’s advantage and volunteer to lead a trail this year. There are some great, fairly easy trails to lead like Corkscrew/Hurricane/California (southern part of the alpine loop), Red Mountain, etc, so you don’t have to volunteer to lead Black Bear, Imogene, Engineer, or other more technical trails. For every 3 people that lead, I think it should open up another ~9 spots for other trucks (assuming everyone attends all 3 trail days).

Ok that’s my PSA for the day

I immensely appreciate our brave organizers and do not envy their jobs trying to organize such a beloved event for this community.

I’m personally disappointed by the registration changes. It makes the event exclusive to the same folks who can attend every years. With the price of 200s dropping this community has exploded in last two year. So many new people would love to be a part of this. New folks, or second-timers like myself will be hoping to get one of the fe remaining slots once the early registration is filled.

Like I said, don’t envy our organizers on this one. They made an event so great that everyone wants in lol.

I immensely appreciate our brave organizers and do not envy their jobs trying to organize such a beloved event for this community.

I’m personally disappointed by the registration changes. It makes the event exclusive to the same folks who can attend every years. With the price of 200s dropping this community has exploded in last two year. So many new people would love to be a part of this. New folks, or second-timers like myself will be hoping to get one of the fe remaining slots once the early registration is filled.

Like I said, don’t envy our organizers on this one. They made an event so great that everyone wants in lol.
To be clear there will be many spots for new comers and folks who have only attended “a few”. I expect around 25 to start and I know not everyone who gets an early invite will be able to attend. So that adds another nice opportunity for new folks. Ultimately we need trail leader volunteers otherwise the event would not continue to grow like it has. We don’t need people to lead everyday but at least lead 1 day would be greatly appreciated.

To be clear there will be many spots for new comers and folks who have only attended “a few”. I expect around 25 to start and I know not everyone who gets an early invite will be able to attend. So that adds another nice opportunity for new folks. Ultimately we need trail leader volunteers otherwise the event would not continue to grow like it has. We don’t need people to lead everyday but at least lead 1 day would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for confirming 🤙

The flip side is if all new folks manage to sign up and nobody wants to lead then it limits the number of registrations. Letting prior trail leaders sign up first (who likely will volunteer again) should encourage others to lead this year or in the future in order to get that priority. IMO anything that incentivizes people to lead trails should be encouraged.

Also not to be rude to new folks who want to come, but part of what keeps me coming back is being able to catch up with people I know. There are plenty of people in the forum who I’d love to meet and I do hope lots of new people can register, but I’m not sure I’d come (and volunteer to lead) if it was all new people.

Either way some sort of staged registration is really needed, given how overwhelmed registration seems to be each year. (FWIW I really liked the Cruise Moab system that puts everyone who connects up to 30 min before the event into a queue, and then randomizes everyone when the registration opens. It’s similar to how the Canada national park camping reservations work, which BTW is waaaay better than the US model).

What is the criteria for trail leads? I am able to trail lead (I've lead a many other events and lead small groups all but one of the trails I've seen discussed here) but have not been a trail lead with LCDC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom