Events/Trails OFFICIAL LCDC 10 Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last edited:
Are radios required/recommended for the trail runs? And if so any recommendations or suggestions for a good choice to buy?

Looking for any reasonable excuse / justification to the boss to put money into mods on the truck prior to the event...
I second the Chinese handhelds especially if you’re not going to get licensed. BUT, you have plenty of time to get licensed and install a real radio in your rig permanently. I have the Chinese ones mentioned as well as this Icom hard-mounted. Better in every way except walking around with it.
IMG_0790.jpeg

Are radios required/recommended for the trail runs? And if so any recommendations or suggestions for a good choice to buy?

Looking for any reasonable excuse / justification to the boss to put money into mods on the truck prior to the event...

Yeah, having comms is not strictly required. Lots of people carry extra radios so a person can get by at an event like LCDC.

But it is highly advisable to just go ahead and invest in a few items that will make your overall experience with your truck more enjoyable, but also safer.

Many folks on here have a ham license, but its not necessary, especially when you are just starting to figure the comms thing out. You can get a decent handheld, Dual-band radio with some decent power on Amazon for < $100 and often cheaper. Baofeng is a popular brand and they work great.

Some people just roll with that and "monitor-only" on the regulated frequencies and this works well. You should know that all of the trail runs only use channels in the FRS/GMRS band (as far as I know), so even a basic handheld from Motorola or Midland will work fine.

Having said that, I like to carry a Baofeng and also a few Midland FRS/GMRS handhelds. I like to do this because there is always somebody who either has a bad radio, or have none, but also because its nice to have one in the truck and one in my recovery bag, etc. They are pretty cheap and worth it.

I've got the Baofeng for listening in, run a Motorola for 2 way chatting, and will probably invest in a Midland set of handhelds before the event. The HAM is something I just haven't found a need for other than the 3 days I'm there.

I finally broke down and got licensed a couple weeks ago in preparation of this year. Used HamStudy.org and started going through questions on a Saturday. By Sunday evening I was competent enough to take the test. By Monday I was easily taking practice tests at 100%--did a virtual test on Zoom and had license issued by that Thursday less than a week after I started. Super painless process and really regret not doing it sooner. Downside is not all of my friends that I wheel with are licensed so can't take full advantage except for at LCDC. Bought the recommended Baofeng for Breckenridge a couple years back and was blown away with clarity--looking into permanent solutions before this years meetup now.

Assuming most don't have HAM license, +1 for a decent handheld. Good comms can make or break your experience on the trail in my opinion. Midland makes some great GMRS radios for the truck and the Baofang can be programmed to work but they require fiddling and you risk an even lower quality knock off. Personally, I would spend a couple more $ and get a good GMRS like one of these:

Last edited:
Agree on the comms...I have gmrs midland base in truck, the 5R handheld for HAM and a few frs handheld radios for anyone needing a radio. In past years we've run Ham & GMRS on trails to better ensure everyone had comms.

The comms even if just listening have been invaluable especially those times when we have had issues with trucks, or trail changes, folks need potty breaks or you want to explore/take pics during a stop.

Agree on the comms...I have gmrs midland base in truck, the 5R handheld for HAM and a few frs handheld radios for anyone needing a radio. In past years we've run Ham & GMRS on trails to better ensure everyone had comms.

The comms even if just listening have been invaluable especially those times when we have had issues with trucks, or trail changes, folks need potty breaks or you want to explore/take pics during a stop.
Agree. I have built in HAM but also always bring my handheld Baofeng. It’s a great radio.

Re: trail comms — not much to add beyond what has already been said. Comms are incredibly important on the trail even if you're just able to listen. There's no "standard" for the event -- it depends on the leader and what they want to run. I tend to run 2m as primary comms and bring along some extra handhelds for people to listen. I do the same for GMRS/FRS. I'd recommend having both 2m and GMRS/FRS in your kit.

Re: registration — yeah, we hit capacity sometime yesterday and started putting names on the waitlist today.

Re: registration — yeah, we hit capacity sometime yesterday and started putting names on the waitlist today.
It's great to hear it didn't fill in the first 5 minutes like prior years.

As a 5-timer (and then some) I really appreciated the LCDC jackets and cheese plate too

1711383586192.png

The best advice I can give is whatever you buy, make sure you know how to use it before the trail run. I can't tell you how many times over the years I've seen people opening their radio out of the box for the first time when we're airing down about the hit the trail and then don't know how to turn it on, change the channel, etc.

For that reason alone, I prefer the very basic Midland FRS/GMRS handhelds. They're super easy to use and work well, but make sure you get one that has the ability to charge using a USB cord because some of the models require a cradle to charge which is super awkward on the trail.

One last observation...I see a lot of people using a ham radio for FRS/GMRS, and those radios are often far more powerful than a normal Midland handheld. More power is better right? In this case, it's often not better. Why? When people are blasting out a high power signal in a small group, it can overwhelm other radio chatter (literally talk over everything) and broadcast to other people using the frequency far away. Many of these radios are so complex and powerful they can create tons of feedback, static, noise, and other artifacts that other radios can hear which is distracting and annoying. I was on a 3 day overlanding trip with a group, and one of the radios was constantly sending out APRS signals which came through as an obnoxious beep to our radios every couple of minutes. The radio user didn't even realize it was happening which is why it's critical to understand your equipment in advance of the trail run. That's why I keep it simple with the Midland stuff, and I keep several spares just in case someone either doesn't have a radio or has a radio they don't know how to use.

PS - if you get a ham or GMRS radio, they technically require a license to broadcast which I recommend getting (FRS does not require a license so when I'm leading trails I tend use to FRS frequencies). Our off road endeavors are under a microscope these days, so it's best to follow best practices and help maintain the reputation LCDC has as a best in class event.

AP1GczOaX7lGpZGYMLrIDrWqFKLzJsvNUifAltKUr4O9m3Qe9OUnWRQd-ZMUd9io4R3QZ8xEuncwlG5r-uP-N6QNLwAmjbQzEwRQdo8w3UvvFNlf8uYffDSD1Z3QYAspH9g49Tt31DLklt67mn45pIMKITjaXg=w3396-h1910-s-no-gm

Just Having the FRS is good to have. Listening on the HAM is OK. Transmitting on the HAM without a License is illegal. Just to be clear I am not the HAM Police. It is easy to get a license and everyone who wants to could get one by the event taking practice tests like the post above

It is also even easier to get a GMRS License, no test required. The GMRS has the FRS and more powerful GMRS Bands

I have two mobile radios in my truck (ripped the CB Out). I wheel multiple events that require FRS and most of my local club runs HAM

For GMRS/FRS I run a midland
MXT275VP4 MicroMobile® Bundle - https://midlandusa.com/collections/bundles/products/mxt275vp4-micromobile-two-way-radio-bundle-1

For HAM
https://systemfusion.yaesu.com/ftm-400dr-xdr/

I also have a few Handhelds for when I get out of the Truck
HAM- Baefong 5r, Yaesu VX-7R
GRMS/FRS - Midland GXT1000VP4

If you don't have a radio, then I recommend buying the GXT1000 pair

Totally agree with everything said. It can be confusing understanding what you can and can't do or should and shouldn't do. The HAM prep can really help even if you don't get a license.

Having said that, not everybody has the same knowledge-base and not wanting to, or being able to, spend the time to dig in should not be a barrier to enjoying the outdoors. The FRS handheld radios are great as long as you know the limitations. It is far better to go with a 16 channel handheld that is more limited than to get a powerful but complicated unit that you have no idea how it works - and I say that from experience.

To @mcgaskins point above, if you are not able to learn how to use your gear before the trip, best not to think you can figure it out at gametime. It's usually not going to work out well.

I own a wide variety of cheap-ish handheld FRS/GMRS radios and all of them get used. It s a good place to start.

Having said all of that, I have an updated channel mapping that can be used with CHIRP to program Baofeng and other radios in a fairly simple way. I added weather and MURS a while back.

Depending on your radio and version of CHIRP, you may not need all of the columns. This is a dump of my radio using a fairly recent version.

Also, to address the issues with overpowering FRS channels, all of the FRS/GMRS <=22 are set to allowed transmitting power, but it is important to keep in mind that different radios have different output capabilities and may not support those power settings (ie your radio may not go below 1W or 4W).

Attachments

• Baofeng_UV-82_export.csv
    5.6 KB · Views: 6
If you want to get a GMRS License with no test, Midland lays it out Why Do I Need a GMRS License & How Do I Get It? - https://midlandusa.com/blogs/blog/why-do-i-need-a-gmrs-license-how-do-i-get-it?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwYSwBhDcARIsAOyL0fiDdTwT1WprQwT6vC3ISttiFaJd-Qs27lPnl0DY4MnpZ6eTJzNIwYUaAkMuEALw_wcB

you navigate the FCC web site, pay your fee and you get your license.

The HAM test takes maybe a day of taking practice tests to get the answers as the test uses the same questions. You just keep running through the practice test until you get above an 85% several times. Really not hard. Nothing you really need to know much after you get your license. Once you have one, you renew for free every 10 years by just visiting the site.

I personally consider these key tools of our hobby and why I have both licenses. Everyone is different. My daughters got their HAM licenses when they were 16, 17. You don't have to know the background, just what answer matches which question. I say that as an Electronic engineer who understands the material as none of it is really needed once your radio is installed. You won't ever worry about antenna lengths etc again, but you get all the answers from taking the practice tests. The key item to know when working the HAM is verbal skills. What you can say and can't, how you identify your self and how often and other communication statements like "K0ROM mobile and Monitoring" if you want others to know you are on the net

If you want to get a GMRS License with no test, Midland lays it out Why Do I Need a GMRS License & How Do I Get It? - https://midlandusa.com/blogs/blog/why-do-i-need-a-gmrs-license-how-do-i-get-it?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwYSwBhDcARIsAOyL0fiDdTwT1WprQwT6vC3ISttiFaJd-Qs27lPnl0DY4MnpZ6eTJzNIwYUaAkMuEALw_wcB

you navigate the FCC web site, pay your fee and you get your license.

The HAM test takes maybe a day of taking practice tests to get the answers as the test uses the same questions. You just keep running through the practice test until you get above an 85% several times. Really not hard. Nothing you really need to know much after you get your license. Once you have one, you renew for free every 10 years by just visiting the site.

I personally consider these key tools of our hobby and why I have both licenses. Everyone is different. My daughters got their HAM licenses when they were 16, 17. You don't have to know the background, just what answer matches which question. I say that as an Electronic engineer who understands the material as none of it is really needed once your radio is installed. You won't ever worry about antenna lengths etc again, but you get all the answers from taking the practice tests. The key item to know when working the HAM is verbal skills. What you can say and can't, how you identify your self and how often and other communication statements like "K0ROM mobile and Monitoring" if you want others to know you are on the net
I tried to do this today but the FCC website would not load the GMRS form. Hopefully that gets resolved, or I figure out what I’m doing wrong.

Edit: checked again now. Apparently they are doing maintenance. Supposedly it’s supposed to be up at 2AM EDT, so guess I’ll check again in the morning.

Last edited:
I tried to do this today but the FCC website would not load the GMRS form. Hopefully that gets resolved, or I figure out what I’m doing wrong.

Edit: checked again now. Apparently they are doing maintenance. Supposedly it’s supposed to be up at 2AM EDT, so guess I’ll check again in the morning.
Here is a guide to get your GMRS License from rugged radios. They also offer a coupon for their radios when you go there. They are also very good

Here is a guide to get your GMRS License from rugged radios. They also offer a coupon for their radios when you go there. They are also very good

Not sure if I was doing it wrong or if the website just sucks before. Even while I was applying now I was having pages time out. But I got far enough that the FCC has my $35, so I assume I did it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

• jhg
Back
Top Bottom