Official Keystone RC thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m officially into this RC thing beginning Monday.. My son gave me an SCX 10 II raw builders kit along with an 80 series shell, an upgraded rear third member, and lots of other doo dads to upgrade the “ stock” kit. I’ll begin the build next week. 👍🏼👍🏼😎

Don, knowing your skills with modeling, and recreating patina, I look forward to this build!

A0F67F06-CEFD-4BEB-83D4-32932372BC4E.jpeg
Hmmm this front end is just like a TJ, that means I’ll be replacing axle universals, steering links and suspension bushings every 40,000 miles or less 😎

Taking my time and actually using the direction sheets. There is a method to the madness. I still don’t have a battery, charger or steering servo. Is it better to buy two medium mah batteries or one really good one?
F52FDAD5-D34D-4685-8A5C-BB232568DDD2.jpeg

Back when Theodore was two, I got him this little amphibious RC toy, and it pretty much sucked right out of the gate. It used three double a batteries for about 15 minutes of run time on the driveway. It floats and it moves around our little fish pond, but pretty underwhelming!
Today while tinkering on other RCs he saw it up on the shelf and insisted on putting batteries in it and trying it. As you can imagine it sucked all over again and wouldn't get out of its own way, but I had a thought.....

Ideally, three double a batteries equals +/- 4.5 volts, but they never seem to quite get there.
A 1s lithium ion battery is nominal 3.7 volts, but when it's charged, sits around 4.3v.....

This battery came from a little toy drone, but I have a few other 1s batteries around.
Now this thing hustles around like it should have out of the box. Lots more fun than it ever was when Theo was two 😆

IMG_20200317_161040.jpg

IMG_20200317_161056.jpg

IMG_20200317_161127.jpg

Taking my time and actually using the direction sheets. There is a method to the madness. I still don’t have a battery, charger or steering servo. Is it better to buy two medium mah batteries or one really good one? View attachment 2226260
Hey Don, if your still shopping batteries I have a suggestion. 3500 mah is plenty of run time no need for a giant 5000mah pack. The lighter battery is a big performance advantage.

Hey Don, if your still shopping batteries I have a suggestion. 3500 mah is plenty of run time no need for a giant 5000mah pack. The lighter battery is a big performance advantage.
I’m currently waiting on my hobby shop to re-open. I thought about amazon, only briefly as I want to continue my support of the Iron Horse in Reading Pa. Should I splurge on an aluminum case steering servo?

I’m currently waiting on my hobby shop to re-open. I thought about amazon, only briefly as I want to continue my support of the Iron Horse in Reading Pa. Should I splurge on an aluminum case steering servo?
did I read in an earlier post that you are still considering nmih batteries?
I'm happy to bring you up to speed on current battery technology if you like.
I would start with 2s lithium ion battery.

did I read in an earlier post that you are still considering nmih batteries?
I'm happy to bring you up to speed on current battery technology if you like.
I would start with 2s lithium ion battery.
lithium ion is the way to go . Any brands that should be avoided?

lithium ion is the way to go . Any brands that should be avoided?
Yes, some are to be avoided. Read reviews or buy name brand.
Chose a connector style you like, black ones are called TRX and generally go with Traxxas products, yellow connectors or the red ones known as Dean's.

if you go with a Traxxas charger and battery pack combo, you are stuck with their proprietary wiring, but they are reliable and dead simple one button operation.

Some of the other chargers out there charge a variety of different battries and are more complicated to use but useful once one learned how to operate them.

I like Hobby Wing branded electronics.

Can anyone make some glue recommendations for a Hardbody.

Super Glue gel.

I’ve used Shoe Goo for repairs, never tried hot glue.

3C234B81-F9A1-44A8-A6F1-66F0DE04ED0C.jpeg

I have had good luck with this battery, it’s very compact and lasts a long time. Has the t style connector.

I just started my MFab 60 series tonight. It has been sitting in a box for about a year now. I have this, a 70, 80, and 100 to build. I really don't have any excuse not to make progress at the moment.

20200327_214747.jpg

The first hour and a half was test fitting all the pieces and laying out the roughly 100 body parts. There are no instructions, so it is essential.to figure out where everything goes first. Then the excess PLA mesh needs to be trimmed off.

20200327_224024.jpg

20200327_224035.jpg

20200327_225216.jpg

Can anyone make some glue recommendations for a Hardbody.
My son sent this to me. This is the best super glue I’ve ever used. Over the years I’ve tried em all..
E680AE14-5ED0-465D-90EE-1D8D5B55CA43.jpeg
Bob Smith Industries.

Some upgraded replacement parts getting put on the Slash 4x4.
New front shocks and Front AArms.
IMG_20200328_135234.jpg

New set of steel driveshafts.
IMG_20200328_135240.jpg

The Carnage.
IMG_20200328_135429.jpg

A while back, we installed a Castle Creations motor and ESC.
Hence the Carnage shown above ^^^
IMG_20200328_135251.jpg

I had been limiting myself and the kids to the 2s lipos because it is crazy fast enough. I've never had a faster RC.
Today I tried a 3s and it totally overwhelmed the chassis, things start to vibrate and rattle like crazy. The stock wheel tire combo are totally out of balance, driveshaft vibes, suspension just can't keep up.
The slightest steering input and your cartwheeling down the road. I'd say it's good for close to 45mph, it's too much! Back to 2s!

IMG_20200328_135246.jpg

Just cutting, sanding, and tacking away between meetings and while on my lunch break. I'm holed up in the basement teaching classes online while my wife is doing conference calls upstairs. We take turns doing virtual schooling for our boys while the other is on Zoom.

20200331_140727.jpg

20200331_164318.jpg

Last edited:
Progress progress.. I’m waiting on a connector for the battery to the ecu/speed controller, and paint. Gonna try to match my 80 colors. I used super magnets instead of drilling holes for the posts..
C53979E8-C767-4284-A4FB-5D3CBB1E5873.jpeg
8B77A399-B752-4AAE-9437-8E23C0ADE097.jpeg

I just started my MFab 60 series tonight. It has been sitting in a box for about a year now. I have this, a 70, 80, and 100 to build. I really don't have any excuse not to make progress at the moment.

View attachment 2251404
I’m gonna have to look into these, a true craftsman kit. 👍🏼👍🏼

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom