Official "How long does an A440 last" thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

194K here, still going. Need to change the fluid and the filter soon. Have had the stuff to do it awhile, just dragging my feet.

Interesting to see in this thread nobody make a recomendation about a shop in USA that can do a quality and guaranted job over Toyota Auto Tranny ..

With this amount of auto trannys in USA, must be a shop that take only Toyota Auto trannys and get very specialized work on that segment ..

"I think mine had about 170,000 miles when it went out in early 2005. It was rebuilt by a local shop when I lived in Denver. I can't remember the shop's name, but it was recommended by Slee Off Road. I can look it up if anyone wants to know. I have not had a problem since and now have around 187,000 miles."

From post 43

Sorry Tapage, I thought there was more about rebuilding when I sent you this way.

305,000, and no clunk, no current slippage, I do not know if the PO did any towing , 3 years ago there was a clog in the radiator/cooler, and it caused the red light to come on, I drove slower on the way home and figured it out the next day, put compressed air to the radiator/trans cooler and unclogged it, but I still installed a new aux cooler last summer just incase (it sat unused for 2 years)

I was driving about 35mph when I was egged with the windows open, I slammed on the brakes put it in reverse (had not stopped all the way), it slipped a little then but no major problems,,, tuff transmission i'd say.

I live in the country, and the breather hose had come loose, it was dangling and must have sucked up some dirt, as a few years ago the transmission would work for 5 miles then would start to slip, I pulled the pan and the filter was totally clogged,,,,, we cleaned it, changed the filter and it worked like a champ for 2 years, then the clacking started, read below...

I have towed a few heavy trailers, but not over the reccomended weight (I did tow a 10' wide no till drill, and do not know how heavy it was, but only for 4 miles),,, but before the no till tow, the transmission started clacking once it warmed up, mostly in 3rd gear, I pulled the pan and looked for problems or chunks and cannot find anything. so I am here looking for answers,,, got any suggestions?

I am new to this forum and still figuring out my Cruiser, but can some explain what a "Rodney Flush" is?

I am new to this forum and still figuring out my Cruiser, but can some explain what a "Rodney Flush" is?

It's a little hard to explain but you can do a search and find plenty of info in previous threads. Use key words like "Rodney Australia" "extreme valve body" "440" "A440F" in combination with "flush".

230XXX and still truckin'. I changed the fluid when I bought it off the PO last fall and it made a world of difference in auto-shifting quality. I plan on swapping tranny fluid at LEAST yearly if not twice a year. Keep that thing hydrated!

I've got 225k on mine and its started slipping in 2nd occasionally. I did some research on Extreme tranny, valve body etc. has anyone purchased the extreme valve body only without purchasing a whole rebuilt tranny? What are the benefits of getting the rebuilt tranny from Rodney at wholesale?

I've got 225k on mine and its started slipping in 2nd occasionally. I did some research on Extreme tranny, valve body etc. has anyone purchased the extreme valve body only without purchasing a whole rebuilt tranny? What are the benefits of getting the rebuilt tranny from Rodney at wholesale?

I would do the simple/cheap stuff first before thinking that your tranny is on the way out. Change the fluid a few times and clean off the filter screen.

I changed the fluid and filter last summer, should i change the filter again with the fluid, or just the fluid?

I changed the fluid and filter last summer, should i change the filter again with the fluid, or just the fluid?

As far as I know, cleaning the filter is sufficient. No need to replace it.

I cleaned my filter up, and also removed the small amount of metal that had collected around the two pan magnets. I replaced all of the fluid that was in the pan. I studied the Rodney flush instructions but I decided not to do it because I was pressed for time.

I noticed that the shifting on these trannies seems to be very sensitive to the fluid level. I was a bit short of fluid and noticed hesitant shifts. I added about a cup of fluid and the problem was resolved. My advice is to check the fluid level carefully and often for the first week after servicing.

My tranny has 138k on it. After reading all of the postings here, I conclude that mine is very young.

I would change the fluid again since draining the pan doesn't remove all of the fluid. Start a new thread so you get more advice from others that might be interested in helping you rather than members just interested on the original topic.

295,000 all original miles and still going strong!

190K and 185K on both of mine. the lesser has had Mobile one and a cooler on it at about 150K. I really can't tell the difference. I just hope they both don't go out at the same time!

Mine had 230K when I sold her...Still going strong!

Mine has 187,000. Seems to be going strong but a new H55F is sitting on the garage floor waiting to go in.

I've got 246,XXX miles on mine still good but the transfer case is gonna go soon.

I have an inquiry as well.

Purchased an 88 with 179k on it. It starts and runs very well. When I test drove it, I noticed the truck was quite sluggish and had hard shifts after taking a while to finally shift. But, at hwy speeds, especially at 50-65 mph the truck's transmission, tranny, or torque converter shutters pretty bad. Back off or drop it into 3rd and it goes away. It seems to do fine on flat road (but not problem free), but especially occurs when starting up a hill.

Did a partial Rodney flush, did everything but waste a ton of fluid, and it helped DRAMATICALLY at city speed driving, but still has the shuttering issue at hwy speeds. And what I mean by helping in the city, the truck drives and shifts much more smoothly at lower speeds and has a better indication of power.

I do not get to drive the truck much, because I work out of town and I do not trust it enough yet to let my wife drive it to work, so it gets driven only a few times per month. I wonder if driving more often would help?

Any suggestions??

216,xxx and running strong. I just got back from a 2200 mile trip between Seattle and the Sawtooth Mts. in ID - to include about 1000 miles of dirt roads (about 300 of which were BAD dirt roads). My Cruiser ran like a champ!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom