Official "How long does an A440 last" thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think mine had about 170,000 miles when it went out in early 2005. It was rebuilt by a local shop when I lived in Denver. I can't remember the shop's name, but it was recommended by Slee Off Road. I can look it up if anyone wants to know. I have not had a problem since and now have around 187,000 miles.

171,000 miles

I just turned 171k on 9/88 FJ62. Runs great, has had Amsoil synthetic ATF all it's life. i change fluid often, and have had great luck. Adjusted kick-down linkage not long ago for better shifting, shifts at better spots now.

tranny failure

Ok so what exactly goes wrong. I have always assumed that the seal between the transfer case and the tranny goes bad and the tnsf. case oil gets into the tranny, and the tranny does not like the oil. Does the oil make the clutchs start slipping? does the oil contaminate the seals and other rubber parts, inquiring minds want to know.

t-case runs ATF also.

Ok so what exactly goes wrong. I have always assumed that the seal between the transfer case and the tranny goes bad and the tnsf. case oil gets into the tranny, and the tranny does not like the oil. Does the oil make the clutchs start slipping? does the oil contaminate the seals and other rubber parts, inquiring minds want to know.

Mine lasted around 180k before it was rebuilt. I didn't buy the truck till 10k miles later but it seems to run fine now. I am planning on doing a Rodney Flush at some point soon. Need to start accumulating all that fluid and figuring out where I'm going to store/dispose of the aftermath.

I do have some questions though.

1) The stock tranny dipstick is really hard to read, esp. with relatively new fluid. I've had other autos where it was a no brainer if you were at level or not. Is there any sort of aftermarket, easy-to-install transmission fluid level gauge/stick that works better?
2) How hard is it to install an aftermarket tranny temp gauge? Bananas, cost, etc? Is it easier to just get a separate tranny cooler and call it a day?

I don't tow or abuse the truck but I don't want to have to pay for a tranny rebuild, either. Did that with other cars and it's expensive.

Whenever the truck is going up a serious hill at high speeds (mainly on the way to hikes and skiing) I keep an eye on the red light near the shifter. It's never gone on. I'm not even sure if it works, though. I guess there's no good way to test it is there?

No, it requires diff oil 0f the 80W-90 variety. ATF will kill an FJ62 t-case in short order. Heat kills the A440F but it takes a lot longer.

t-case runs ATF also.

So does that mean no one knows the answer??? If heat kills the tranny what does it actually do?

No, it requires diff oil 0f the 80W-90 variety. ATF will kill an FJ62 t-case in short order. Heat kills the A440F but it takes a lot longer.

your right I'm wrong.

why would atf kill it though? no bushings in it,

and there are lots of t-case's running atf.

sorry for the hyjack

It is overheating of the ATF that starts the degenerative process. The A440F torque converter can create lots of heat that quickly shortens the effective life of ATF. There have been threads discussing the ATF lifespan at high temps being very short. When left in the tranny for thousands of miles after it should have been completely transfered out, old ATF just can't perform the way it can when new and the wear process begins. That is part of the explanation anyway.

Mine has 206,000 with absolutely no slipping. The only problem I have is hard shifts occasionally from 2-3, P-R, and very very occasionally P-1. It doesn't always happen and my fluid levels are always good with good color, but I don't know if I really have a problem or not. A mechanic once told me that it was not a problem, but you guys would know better.

An A440 should last forever. They are built like a school bus tranny.

Mine slipped a bit after changing the fluid last time....

Fluid was just at the ADD line and thats whats caused it.

Also, if you have never dropped the pan and cleaned the screen that can cause a flow block and cause slippage.

Toyota trannies rarely 'break!' shift linkage etc may break but with decent PM an A440 should be able to last 400-500k miles:beer:

160,000, still strong-I have found no evidence to suggest that any form of maintenance has been performed on this vehicle. ever.

1988 fj62, 194000 miles and it started to slip. Sold the truck because it was to $$$ to fix. The straw that broke the camels back sorta thing. Now I have an 86 man. 4sp and never want a auto tranny again.

88 FJ62, bought it with 195K miles. Drain and filter change after purchase. Fluid was a bit dirty but nothing alarming.

At 221K miles the tranny started to jerk and slip in Rev and 1st. Had it rebuilt at local shop. Rev/1st grear cluster had started to come apart so that was why it failed. Had a complete rebuild done. Cost was about $2700 including labor and R&R of tranny. Parts were about $1200 of that $2700. Yes, they are expensive to have rebuilt. I could have saved money by doing the R&R myself but at the time, I needed it done as fast as possible and that was not going to happen with me turning the wrenches.

Today it has 250k miles and is doing fine.

Currently at 231K here and the infamous clunk is just barely there. I plan to nip it in the bud and install a McNamara gear hopefully by next summer (we'll see how my budget works out during my next deployment). Dropped the pan last summer ('06) and there was ZERO wear that I could tell. Only a very light gray film on the magnet and that was it. I've used synthetic ATF for several years now, and change it out about every year and a half.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom