"OFF DUTY OVERLAND" teardrop trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. Been pretty busy the past few months with this build. Now that it's getting close to being done, I figured I'd put together a build thread.

I got the itch to build a trailer back in 2013. I found a beat up old m100 that was titled and registered for cheap. The tub was in bad shape so I made a new one. Got it all done, used it for a couple years and let it go. It was just too small for a fam of 5.

Fast forward to March 2018 and i got the itch again. I got my LX 470 built up, and wanted to do another trailer project. This time a bit bigger. I was checking out teardrop build threads and figured I could pull one off. No plans, just measure, cut, weld...

I had a 5x10 Big Tex trailer I wasn't using much anymore, so I used it to build off of. I know it' not ideal for an hardcore build, but I don't do hardcore and it's still a solid enough trailer, and registered. I can build a new trailer frame if this one doesn't
cut it.

I wanted to keep the budget around $1500, not including the trailer or RTT (still need to buy a RTT). I think I'm just over my budget as of today. I got a lot of things free or cheap, too.

I framed up the skeleton using .065 1"x1" square tubing. Added some X bracing in the front and kitchen/ bedroom wall for strength, and to keep it square. I used some thicker steel at the hinge and jamb for entry and galley door. There are 8 mounting points to attach to the frame.

I used 20ga 5x10' sheet metal for the siding. It didn't cost me anything, but it was left over galvanized sheets in our shop. I used Sikaflex 252 to bond the sheet metal siding to the to the framing. For paint, I used SEM metalock epoxy primer and a 50/50 mix of Valspar MF grey, and low gloss black. Really like the color and sheen. Hopefully it sticks to the galvanized. If it starts to fail then I'll just wrap it.

Interior is mostly inexpensive 1/4" plywood from Lowe's. I used 3/4 ply for the floor and will shoot the road facing side with rubberized undercoating. 3/4 ply at galley/ bedroom wall for extra strength and backing for galley cabinets and flip-up countertop. I also sandwhiched 1" rigid foam insulation in all walls (another freebie).

I made some simple cabinets for the bedroom. More than enough room for all of our clothes for a few days. And there's a spot for a tv. I know..... lol! This trailer is also my dog house, so..... yeah. I'll
Hide all the wires behind some simple crown moulding detail.

The galley! The look on peoples
face when I open the hatch... maybe it's too much, but it I dig it! I found a hunk of laminate countertop on Craigslist for $15. It went with the black/ grey color scheme of the trailer. I got a piano hinge and made it able to flip up to access the storage below. Plenty of room for storing the bbq, stove, canned food, ect. I made some simple cabinets and stained them grey. There were leftover sheets of stainless at the shop, so I bent up a nice backsplash for the front, and flat stainless on the 2 sides. Found some nice little undercabinet lighting on Amazon. There is also a power/ switch station for galley, L & R exterior alley lights, water pump, power to future RTT... still thinking about cutting a small sink.

Now the trailer frame. It was origially
A 5x10. I cut 2' off the rear and left the axle in its original location. I welded up a piece of 3x3 square tube the end of the trailer I cut off. I'll Have a swingout to hold a countertop extension for the galley, and stabilizers when at camp. I bent up some fenders out of 16ga galvanized steel and welded them up to some side armor/ rock deflectors. They're strong enough to stand on to access anything on the roof. I had to extend the tongue on the trailer long enough for my tire carrier to open with a tool box on front of the trailer. I decided I wanted to make the tongue adjustable. I used 3x3x 1/4" , squared it up with the hubs and welded it up. I used 2 1/2x 2 1/2 x 1/4" for the adjustable insert, and a max coupler into that. It tracks and tows great!

I got some tundra steel wheels from a buddy and got some 5x5 to 5x150 adapters. Americas tire had a couple 275/70/18 BFG KO's (same as my lx and wifes sequoia) Unfortunately the axle was too narrow so I had to put in a wider one. While I had everything taken apart, I remover a leaf from the springpack. It'
Still firm, but at least moves now.

Today I bolted up the roof rack, got the tongue basket and tool box mounted, and gave the garage back to my wife!

Still need to wire all the lighting, trim out the bedroom, get power source and solar, and bunch of little things. I am having a ton of fun building this, and learning a lot, too. I'l keep you guys updated with build progress.

-Dave

20150625_101941.jpg

20180325_180420.jpg

20180603_165257.jpg

20180603_165156.jpg

20180603_165139.jpg

1sar39, what do you do for a living? that workmanship is old world journeyman quality. i really like the "slap you in the face" door pulls on the cabinets.

Thanks
1sar39, what do you do for a living? that workmanship is old world journeyman quality. i really like the "slap you in the face" door pulls on the cabinets.

Thank you!

I'm a project manager for a small mechanical contractor now. Was a cop for a while but can't do full time now due to needing a knee replacement. Fortunately I was able to stay on as a Level 1 Reserve, and still get to play. Being back to a normal schedule gives me a lot more time to work on stuff like the trailer.

I've been doing a lot more steel fabrication within the past few years. Made the bumpers, sliders, and roof rack for my LX a few years ago. I really enjoy it, and the end result is something to be proud of.

Got rear stabilizers going on, and made up the swing-out countertop for the galley. The countertop stows between frame rails under the trailer when not in use, and the brackets that hold the table are easily removable.

20180612_205332.jpg

20180612_204753.jpg

First camping trip was a success! The Pinnacles is our close go to camping spot. Trailer did great. Monterey county roads are horrible. Pretty sure the trailer was airborne a time or two after hitting some rough sections of asphalt. After leaving the paved road, we hit miles of washboard dirt road. I thought for sure something would come apart, but all stayed solid. As we were headed up the grade, we watched the outside temp go from 80* (home) to 102* at the Pinnacles. Glad I insulated the trailer.

Overall, it had to have been the most comfortable camping experience I had. Kids were happy, and a nice comfortable bed to sleep on at night. Galley is critter proof, so no messy disaster in the morning.

20180623_171453.jpg

20180624_115640.jpg

20180623_171134.jpg

Great job! I love the utilitarian simplicity. You need to come up with a custom logo and and have a wrap made!:beer:

Great job! I love the utilitarian simplicity. You need to come up with a custom logo and and have a wrap made!:beer:

Thanks, man!

Here's a simple logo I put together. Have a buddy that's making me a few hats and logos. I will prob be making a few more of these trailers. A few friends keep bugging me to build them one.

20180507_210627.png

Very nice! I contemplated a long time on building vs buying, and due to some time and space constraints, I bought.

My next one would incorporate an aluminum utility trailer, with the camper being a drop in module on support legs. That still allows use as a utility trailer. Maybe something to consider for one of your next builds.

Nice work, but if you really plan on it being off the beaten path, I recommend swapping from normal trailer springs to something much longer that will smooth out the ride and be less prone to breaking. The short springs just don't flex enough and will break. I just put a pair of FJ60 springs on my teardrop and WOW the ride is so much smoother. It never bounces or hits hard or anything. Well worth the effort.

I agree, longer springs and good shocks are a must for off-road travel. Trailers don't need to articulate, but they do need a supple enough suspension to not foam the beer or break the eggs on rough surfaces.

I've also found that a pair of adjustable support legs at the rear can really make a difference when wanting to level the trailer. These can be as complex as two more tongue jacks or as simple as two fixed length legs that swing down from underneath with a ratchet strap between them to set their position. Our TrailBlazer is fitted with some supports normally used on pop-top tent trailers, with custom adjustable feet to make them longer.

i-Z4CsnJK-L.jpg

Very nice! I contemplated a long time on building vs buying, and due to some time and space constraints, I bought.

My next one would incorporate an aluminum utility trailer, with the camper being a drop in module on support legs. That still allows use as a utility trailer. Maybe something to consider for one of your next builds.

My original plan was to have a removable pod that could easily be removed from the utility trailer, but I got a little carried away with this one and forgot about that. I do like the idea of a dual purpose trailer. Just have to get the suspension worked out for both hauling loads, and hauling a lite weight teardrop pod...

Nice work, but if you really plan on it being off the beaten path, I recommend swapping from normal trailer springs to something much longer that will smooth out the ride and be less prone to breaking. The short springs just don't flex enough and will break. I just put a pair of FJ60 springs on my teardrop and WOW the ride is so much smoother. It never bounces or hits hard or anything. Well worth the effort.

For sure! I'm starting to look into how I can beef up what I have to make longer springs work. The shorties it has now are brutal. Good thing I have 33's on it to absorb some hits.

Last edited:
I agree, longer springs and good shocks are a must for off-road travel. Trailers don't need to articulate, but they do need a supple enough suspension to not foam the beer or break the eggs on rough surfaces.

I've also found that a pair of adjustable support legs at the rear can really make a difference when wanting to level the trailer. These can be as complex as two more tongue jacks or as simple as two fixed length legs that swing down from underneath with a ratchet strap between them to set their position. Our TrailBlazer is fitted with some supports normally used on pop-top tent trailers, with custom adjustable feet to make them longer.

i-Z4CsnJK-L.jpg

Nice! I got some 2x2 perforated steel tubing legs for rear stabilizers. I liked the idea of trailer tongue jack's, but went cheap for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom