OEM air filter - washable? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ah Ha, thanks so much for the pic and discription, plan on cleaning the tuna this weekend.

My 80 originally came with a K&N, I replaced it with OEM, and today 50K later I replaced it again thinking it must be time. The new filter is marked washable as above.

I washed the old one (not marked as washable) just to see what happens, a washable dry paper filter is a neat idea but I tried a bucket of plain water as instructed and it did not clean at all, added a little dawn to the mix and some dirt came out but there is still a lot in the filter, it is nowhere near as clean as the new one after washing but at least appears to have survived the wash.

I'll keep the cleaned old one as an emergency spare, watching hose water flow through it during the rinse I get the sense that it still flows excellently even after 50K miles of road grime, the OEM filter has a lot of surface area to work with and that nice pre-cleaner that helps. even though it was dingy looking I probably could have let it run a lot longer.

Ooopps i was wrong. It says to dip it in water for about 10 times.........
I have this filter too... I've always been wondering about how clean it really gets with just water...

I clean it as per instructions and let it dry clean again and the water gets dirty again. rinse and repeat until the water stays clean I swear I can never get this filter 100% clean again.

with replaceable you know its clean every time.

I have this filter too... I've always been wondering about how clean it really gets with just water...

I clean it as per instructions and let it dry clean again and the water gets dirty again. rinse and repeat until the water stays clean I swear I can never get this filter 100% clean again.

with replaceable you know its clean every time.
Add a bit of laundry detergent to the warm water. You'll be amazed at the amount of dirt removed.

Add a bit of laundry detergent to the warm water. You'll be amazed at the amount of dirt removed.
you could but wouldn't that remove the protective coating that Toyota puts on their washable filters?

you could but wouldn't that remove the protective coating that Toyota puts on their washable filters?
No. The "protective coating" is a bonded PTFE laminate. It doesn't wash off.

You guys are over thinking this....every 3 thousand miles rinse it out with the hose, spray it out with the air compressor, repeat the process another time or 2, than let it dry and go for another 3,000 miles.

No. The "protective coating" is a bonded PTFE laminate. It doesn't wash off.
What’s your data to backup this claim? How are you sure that PTFE is used?

What’s your data to backup this claim? How are you sure that PTFE is used?
I'm not positive, but it makes sense they would go that route.

How do you know there's ANY protective coating?

I just use the paper filter because I get a new filter each time and the porosity of the paper filter is less than the washable, so I get better filtration than the cloth washable.

Does anyone ever find any water in their tuna can??
I've just put a snorkel on my 40 and 60 series and I'm thinking about sealing the rubber bit with silicone.
The rubber is perished on both of mine and not really sealing.

I've never seen any water in there and I do some pretty deep river crossings hence the snorkels. If it let's water in through there it defeats the purpose of the snorkel.

I'm not positive, but it makes sense they would go that route.

How do you know there's ANY protective coating?

I just use the paper filter because I get a new filter each time and the porosity of the paper filter is less than the washable, so I get better filtration than the cloth washable.
I’m moving to paper filters at least this way I know it’s always clean.

Does anyone ever find any water in their tuna can??
I've just put a snorkel on my 40 and 60 series and I'm thinking about sealing the rubber bit with silicone.
The rubber is perished on both of mine and not really sealing.

I've never seen any water in there and I do some pretty deep river crossings hence the snorkels. If it let's water in through there it defeats the purpose of the snorkel.
I've never seen water or evidence (water stains or spots) inside of my air filter housing or tuna can.

What is this magic coating you refer to?
FWIW, I have been using the same 2 OEM air filters for at least the last 10 years. I change them out once or twice a year or whenever I feel like it.

FWIW, I have been using the same 2 OEM air filters for at least the last 10 years. I change them out once or twice a year or whenever I feel like it.
Do they see dusty conditions?

I tried washing them a few times in the past, but washed filters would trigger the air filter warning light a few 1000km after washing

If it was just a paper filter it would simply turn to mush. And if. Was a cloth filter the material would just break down and rot.

Why would washing it trigger the warning?

I think it's not possible to completely clean them, and dust that remains is consolidated into the fibres blocking the pores.

Same happens with washable HEPA filters on heavy duty shop vacs used in construction. After using then in dusty conditions where you're vacuuming heavy fine dust like concrete dust, drywall dust, no amount of washing brings them back to a fully serviceable state.
I've tried pressure washing, throwing them in a long cycle in washing machine, combo of both After washing, they don't allow the same site flow. You can hear the same vacuum working harder with washed vs new. In vacs with self cleaning function on the filter that's triggered with sensors, the cleaning function will kick in almost immediately with washed filters. Filters get expensive when you're trying to maintain a clean environment in a dusty industry.

In my hzj105, working the old 1hz hard in hills or at altitude, the filter warning light would come on with a washed filter. I'd also see this happen with new aftermarket filters. Never with fresh/ unwashed OEM.

I think it's not possible to completely clean them, and dust that remains is consolidated into the fibres blocking the pores.

Same happens with washable HEPA filters on heavy duty shop vacs used in construction. After using then in dusty conditions where you're vacuuming heavy fine dust like concrete dust, drywall dust, no amount of washing brings them back to a fully serviceable state.
I've tried pressure washing, throwing them in a long cycle in washing machine, combo of both After washing, they don't allow the same site flow. You can hear the same vacuum working harder with washed vs new. In vacs with self cleaning function on the filter that's triggered with sensors, the cleaning function will kick in almost immediately with washed filters. Filters get expensive when you're trying to maintain a clean environment in a dusty industry.

In my hzj105, working the old 1hz hard in hills or at altitude, the filter warning light would come on with a washed filter. I'd also see this happen with new aftermarket filters. Never with fresh/ unwashed OEM.

Weird. I've run washable cloth in diesel for over a decade(dry filters), in my lightning and in the hdj81 and never seen an issue.

Do they see dusty conditions?

I tried washing them a few times in the past, but washed filters would trigger the air filter warning light a few 1000km after washing
We don't have an air filter warning light in the USDM. As far as dusty conditions, it's a daily driver in the NY tri-state area. It sees its fair share of crap.

If it was just a paper filter it would simply turn to mush. And if. Was a cloth filter the material would just break down and rot.
Well, then I suppose you just answered your own question. Apparently washing in mild detergent does not harm the mystery magical coating, if there is one.
And why would it break down and rot if it was washed and dried before use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom