Odd tapping/wind noise sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone a have a 2018 GX460 that I’m trying to track down a tapping/wind noise issue. I bought it used and it has done it every day since. It seems to be coming from the drivers side bottom edge of the windshield. It only happens at 55mph and faster. It sounds to be a loose trim piece moving by the wind.

I removed the lower windshield trim piece as it seemed loose compared to the passenger side, ran it down the road with no change. Will add I believe it’s the original windshield and bought it with 39k miles.

The only other item in that spot would be the speaker in the A-pillar, it does it radio on or off. And only above 55mph. Next step I will disconnect the speaker just to check it. The sound isn’t loud as with the radio on you can barely hear it but radio off it’s noticeable by me and my wife.

Anyone have any similar issues or insight to this? Thanks in advance

Do you have an air compressor that you can blow high pressure air into/around that area and see if you can reproduce the sound while standing outside next to it?
Could it be a leaf or twig that is caught in your vent?
If you sound system if off, it's off and I can't see any power of any kind getting to the speakers.

I have done that with a leaf blower to see any trim pieces moving with no avail. With the blower or compressed air it would be louder than the actual noise. Not in the vents, it does it with ac blower off or full blast it doesn’t change.
Looking at other threads it might lead to the speaker, with popping/cracking noise from the speakers going out. But doesn’t make sense it only does it at speed.

I have a squeak in that same area… only happens when it’s cold

Could it be some kind of misplaced sound that just happens to make its way into the cabin at that speed? Guessing you've checked everything under the hood, the sunroof, etc but sometimes speed-induced noises are weird and don't trace to exactly where you expect.

I will check the wheel liners tomorrow before work. Currently working nights.
I believe I removed and reinstalled both front wheel liners when I removed the front bumper for the OEM trans cooler install. And the noise was there before I did that.
I’m pretty sure the sound is coming from the bottom edge of the driver side windshield, sitting in any seat it seems to come from the same place.

Check under-hood "covers" like brake master cyl cover, etc. These are all secured (or not) by crappy plastic puch pins, and if they've been taken on and off repeatedly, or even once, then they can rattle around. In addition to the wheel well skirts,, also check skids for tighness and/or debris.

Not quite the right location, but at the top of the windshield, the gutter rubber can come loose. My wife's GX460 (2019) did this exact slapping sound, and it was the gutter rubber come loose. Easy to fix, just push it back in, stays with a snapped rubber bit to the metal gutter.

Windshield noises can be tricky - that curved shape funnels sound in unexpected ways. I have been convinced a sound is coming from one side or another and been proven completely wrong in the end. And what seat you are sitting in can completely change where you think the noise is coming from. So definitely move around before you settle on where the problem is.

Reactions: r2m
Bumping this back to the top. The above didn’t fix the issue. Didn’t bother to update it again but after a 12 hour road trip this past weekend I’d like to figure it out.

Planning on replacing the windshield next month so that will narrow that out. It’s definitely coming from the driver side but cannot tell if it’s from the top or bottom of the windshield.

Bumping this back to the top. The above didn’t fix the issue. Didn’t bother to update it again but after a 12 hour road trip this past weekend I’d like to figure it out.

Planning on replacing the windshield next month so that will narrow that out. It’s definitely coming from the driver side but cannot tell if it’s from the top or bottom of the windshield.
You could always get a cheap stethoscope and on a road with little or no traffic, try putting the puck up near where you think the problem is. If you need to reach all the up to the lower left corner of the windshield, if necessary you can extend the reach of the scope with a small piece of plastic/metal tubing as a coupler and and a longer length of silicone tubing. That should help dial in where the noise is coming from.
Amazon product ASIN B001CCKDHU

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom