obsolete part reproduction interest (1 Viewer)

how many ppl would commit for a pair of these

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yup. I have them on my 70.

This turn signal switch is a newer iteration with intermittent wipers; came with the assembly.

0BFFDABD-E0C0-4AEA-9E08-2920AF6C7140.jpeg

And here's the older one with mist, that also came with the assbly, but its NLA far as I can tell and i believe was never the rocker switch style hazard.

20230306_180300.jpg

I have examined vehicles in the museum. The column covers in soft tops are definitely different, however it appears that dimensions of the stalk openings in the column covers are the same between soft tops and hard tops. They measure ~1 inch wide by ~1.5 inches high.

EDIT 9/20/2023: The wiper stalk side hole is ~7/8 inch wide.

Last edited:
yessir, the 73 i have available is indeed the same, thats why i was started this thread. figured folks who just need rotted or torn trims replaced could get them, and folks like me who want to trim that hole will also have them, win win!!

have you noticed the tilt lever is also trimmed with a bit of a rubbery flap ? i dont care about that one though

All our soft tops have non tilt columns.

well thats interesting, see the tilt lever on the left side of the image i posted above? upgraded model i guess.

All our soft tops are base "standard" models. We do not have a "high grade" soft top to examine.

All our soft tops have non tilt columns.

Hello,

The tilt knob would have required its own grommet. It is possible that designers deemed this grommet as too complicated and instead opted to delete the tilt mechanism.

Just my theory.

Juan

that trim
And here's the older one with mist, that also came with the assbly, but its NLA far as I can tell and i believe was never the rocker switch style hazard.

View attachment 3273307
that trim looks killer, (like they all should have been) and the more i look at mine the more it bothers me with its untrimmed gaping hole
( ya mines a hardtop... so-fackin-what 😁 ..... like hardtops dont deserve care and attention:hillbilly:)

I spent some time last week printing in this super soft rubber filament. What a huge PITA this stuff is. I have printed in rubber before but nothing this soft. I finally got some quality looking parts and was able to build the right package of printer settings to get the quality I was looking for. I have also found a chemical that has the ability to chemically smooth this rubber and remove most if not all of the 3D printed lines. That is the good news. My last challenge is to now deal with supports. The part requires supports due to the lip on the outer edge. It has a rather substantial overhang. I have tried with zero success to print the part AND supports in all rubber. That is a no-go. The rubber supports have zero strength in holding up the lip while printing above it. It's a total train wreck. Now I have to switch and go with a dual independent head machine with water soluble support filament (very rigid) on one head and the rubber filament on the other head. That adds another 2-3 hours of print time. That means one of my dual head machines (has the ability to print two parts at one time) must be used for this. Those are the backbone of my business. Pulling one of them out of production is basically pulling two machines out of production that run at 80% speed 24/7 to print a single part (with two materials) at 15% speed. To put it simple, in the business perspective that is idiotic. I am not saying I wont finish this project I committed to. I am just saying this is no longer profitable for me. I will be using this project as a learning tool for future rubber parts that might be more cost effective in printing due to a more simplistic shape. Rubber HATES any type of overhang. A basic cylinder would be easy but that is not what I'm dealing with. I have pics of these printed rubber grommet things BUT they are still not good and I don't want to scare folks off seeing parts in mid process. Once the water soluble support arrives and I can print a piece with the dual head/dual filament machine then the part (in theory) should look great and I will post pics at that point. Probably about a week out from that. On a last positive note, I was able to stretch the last version over the shaft assembly on my 80 series cruiser which has a VERY similar look/shape/size to the 70 series shaft assembly. It should just stretch and slide right over everything with zero tools and disassembly of any kind.

No good deed goes un-punished. :doh:

I spent some time last week printing in this super soft rubber filament. What a huge PITA this stuff is. I have printed in rubber before but nothing this soft. I finally got some quality looking parts and was able to build the right package of printer settings to get the quality I was looking for. I have also found a chemical that has the ability to chemically smooth this rubber and remove most if not all of the 3D printed lines. That is the good news. My last challenge is to now deal with supports. The part requires supports due to the lip on the outer edge. It has a rather substantial overhang. I have tried with zero success to print the part AND supports in all rubber. That is a no-go. The rubber supports have zero strength in holding up the lip while printing above it. It's a total train wreck. Now I have to switch and go with a dual independent head machine with water soluble support filament (very rigid) on one head and the rubber filament on the other head. That adds another 2-3 hours of print time. That means one of my dual head machines (has the ability to print two parts at one time) must be used for this. Those are the backbone of my business. Pulling one of them out of production is basically pulling two machines out of production that run at 80% speed 24/7 to print a single part (with two materials) at 15% speed. To put it simple, in the business perspective that is idiotic. I am not saying I wont finish this project I committed to. I am just saying this is no longer profitable for me. I will be using this project as a learning tool for future rubber parts that might be more cost effective in printing due to a more simplistic shape. Rubber HATES any type of overhang. A basic cylinder would be easy but that is not what I'm dealing with. I have pics of these printed rubber grommet things BUT they are still not good and I don't want to scare folks off seeing parts in mid process. Once the water soluble support arrives and I can print a piece with the dual head/dual filament machine then the part (in theory) should look great and I will post pics at that point. Probably about a week out from that. On a last positive note, I was able to stretch the last version over the shaft assembly on my 80 series cruiser which has a VERY similar look/shape/size to the 70 series shaft assembly. It should just stretch and slide right over everything with zero tools and disassembly of any kind.

Man. I’d start taking some money down vs. relying on a fickle population.

might be easier to make a mould and pour these out of silicone...
but i think thats beyond MY patience threshold

might be easier to make a mould and pour these out of silicone...
but i think thats beyond MY patience threshold
That might have to be plan B if I can't find success with 3D printing the rubber. We will see.

Got the water soluble support and been testing it over the last few days. My prints with the two materials and dual independent heads are starting to look really good. Almost finished product worthy but not quite. My last hurdle is oozing. Basically as one head (the rubber filament) is printing the other head (water-soluble filament) is hot and sitting idle. I am getting oozing out of the nozzle that then drips onto the part as the next head jumps into the print. It's basiclaly giving me freckles all over the part. I ordered some anti-ooze plates that step in and plug the head while sitting idle. Ordered those about an hour ago. Once those are installed, I am pretty confident we will have a quality looking rubber part that does everything it needs to do including being installed without any tools or removal of anything on the steering column. I will probably need one more week before I have that final prototype.; fingers crossed. For those of you who have zero clue as to what I just said; sorry. Just trying to keep everyone in the loop on progress. Basically, I need one more week before we should have a quality prototype to show off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom