OBD2 scanner recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
I want to get a Bluetooth OBD2 scanner. I don’t really know anything about these. There is a huge range in price. All I want to be able to do read/clear codes and get whatever sensor data is available.

I’ve used Carista and Blue Driver. I used Carista to change some presets. So far I’ve set the remote to roll all windows down and open sun roof when unlocking. I have real time gauges with Blue driver. Carista costs $$$$$ to use while blue driver is free.
I started with Blue driver. It’s a good tool.

I’ve used Carista and Blue Driver. I used Carista to change some presets. So far I’ve set the remote to roll all windows down and open sun roof when unlocking. I have real time gauges with Blue driver. Carista costs $$$$$ to use while blue driver is free.
I started with Blue driver. It’s a good tool.

I concur with all of this.

All I would add is Carista allows you to change TPMS ID's and change presets that BlueDriver does not. I have both, but always defer to Carista - you can check out Carista App and Adapter info here: Carista OBD2 Adapter/App

HTH

Thanks. It looks like the Carista device is about $30 and Bluedriver is $100 but the Carista app requires a monthly subscription to get “extra” features. Do you need the paid app for tpms?

Thanks. It looks like the Carista device is about $30 and Bluedriver is $100 but the Carista app requires a monthly subscription to get “extra” features. Do you need the paid app for tpms?

Unfortunately you do need the paid subscription for TPMS. It comes with one month free and then there are options to do a year or shorter durations.

The base code reading/clearing functions on carista are free, and you used to be able to buy a temporary “pro” week on carista for $9. Not sure whether that’s still the case. Before I had a working techstream system I’d purchase that any time I needed to program TPMS, which was not often. Important to note is that the base free carista app will still allow you to read codes on some modules other than the engine. I had a random SRS light come on on a trip due to my second row removal and was able to read and clear it with the free app and their interface.

For code/data reading I’ve since moved on to OBdFusion, as their dashboard system is awesome for watching data when driving. Haven’t played with it on modules other than ecu though.

A few years back I bought a kiwi OBD module and it has been great, but those are far from the cheapest at this point. In that price range I’d be checking bluedriver out.

Have blue driver. Works good for code reading and reseting CEL on other cars. Other options definitely sound more feature rich.

I have a Carista and it's been very handy. It's worth the $40 a year to me, so I can swap the TPMS codes and avoid the hassle of having someone else do it.

@kcjaz

FYI I saw amazon is having the blue driver as a deal of the day for 69.99 for anyone who may be interested.
Thanks. I texted my kids the link with the word “hint”. Just notice it’s no longer on my Amazon wish list... good kids!

The base code reading/clearing functions on carista are free, and you used to be able to buy a temporary “pro” week on carista for $9. Not sure whether that’s still the case. Before I had a working techstream system I’d purchase that any time I needed to program TPMS, which was not often. Important to note is that the base free carista app will still allow you to read codes on some modules other than the engine. I had a random SRS light come on on a trip due to my second row removal and was able to read and clear it with the free app and their interface.

For code/data reading I’ve since moved on to OBdFusion, as their dashboard system is awesome for watching data when driving. Haven’t played with it on modules other than ecu though.

A few years back I bought a kiwi OBD module and it has been great, but those are far from the cheapest at this point. In that price range I’d be checking bluedriver out.

I just picked up Carista and was able to get rid of my passenger seat belt chime...which drives me crazy when the size of my dog tells my LC there’s a person there.

Also used it to turn off my day-time running lights. Why? Because at night, the daytime low-power version is still too bright when pulling into a camp site at night, or a group of people you don’t want to blind. Nice to regain control.

Also used it to stop auto-locking my doors every time I shift into drive.

Will use it in the future to program a second set of TPMS...

Lots of other tweaks available, but the above were among the most annoying.

Only thing I don’t like is it takes a long time to slowly “read” available tweaks. But once in...it’s quick to change things.

One Question/beef I have with all of these blue-tooth plugs though.... I have yet to find one that I can leave plugged in that does sit there eating power 24/7 to the point of creating HEAT in the plug itself. So...for me, the usefulness is diminished.

Has anyone found a bluetooth unit that doesn’t eat power 24/7 if plugged in?

How difficult is Carista to program new TPMS? Looking at a second set of tires/rims and this would be handy.

How difficult is Carista to program new TPMS? Looking at a second set of tires/rims and this would be handy.

Super simple. Takes longer for the app and reader to boot up. Only shortfall is that while It can program new sensors it cannot scan/read TPMS ID numbers once they are installed. Make sure to write down the sensors Numbers before installing.
Here’s a short video of the process

I like OdbLink MX+ from scantool, it is 100 (99) bucks but includes free software and free custom PIDs set so you do not have to program it to obtain info like transmission temperature. It also supports Active Height ECU and number of other Toyota specific computers. I’m new to it but satisfied. Also has built in power save so you could leave it plugged it in your car overnight and use with custom dashboards while driving. My goal was to monitor AT Temp while towing, LX has 2 sensors (pan and converter) and both are working correctly after Toyota, Lexus, Scion PID download - no custom programing. To me that is quiet big deal and worth the money.

D97A7C94-B0B5-4D91-88C0-6661C9320BEA.jpeg

I like OdbLink MX+ from scantool, it is 100 (99) bucks but includes free software and free custom PIDs set so you do not have to program it to obtain info like transmission temperature. It also supports Active Height ECU and number of other Toyota specific computers. I’m new to it but satisfied. Also has built in power save so you could leave it plugged it in your car overnight and use with custom dashboards while driving. My goal was to monitor AT Temp while towing, LX has 2 sensors (pan and converter) and both are working correctly after Toyota, Lexus, Scion PID download - no custom programing. To me that is quiet big deal and worth the money.

View attachment 2526183
I found and am intrigued by the MX+ on Amazon, anyone else using this one? I do have TPMS programming in my future (found and purchased Rock Warriors locally, yay), plus the gal is getting up there at 180k and just played VSC system warning light bingo this morning. It's past time to get an OBDII scanner. Would love more real world opinions of the options.

I got an SRS light on my other car after it sat in Airport parking for three weeks. That light is still there 18 mths later. Was shopping a code tool that would reset SRS for that make/model year and couldn't find one, even in the $150 range.

Will look at MX+ to see if they support.

Decided that what I wanted in the truck was the simplest (also turns out to be the cheapest) thing. A standalone, button and text based OBD2 powered $20 version will allow a DTC read and clear (emissions is my big fear) in the field, even if my phone is dead. No batteries. No bluetooth. Includes the DTC registry so it can provide the generic beta. Of course this solution won't scan the body modules, so it isn't perfect.

One more question - from my initial research it looks like Carista is the only option of these three (ScanTool MX+, BlueDriver the others) that can change the 'optional' stuff like DRL, windows via remote, etc?

I have the scan guage 2 on top of the steering wheel column and love it. Its not bluetooth, but is always on and having the info all the time on helps

According to scantool the lx and Mx+ differ only in Ford Gm special scope. So lx will work for Toyota products. Lx is $60. Android and window only though. Doesn't say anything in the specs about the toyota specific modules (AHC, body, tpms, srs, etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom