OBD2 for 100 series (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have Engine light + VCS + VSC lights on during an offroad trip.
A guy plugged in his OBD2 and said it is the catalytic converter.
The oxygen sensor there was rattling, the screw was missing the nut I guess, so we tightened it with wire.

My question:
now I wanna get my own OBD2 so I can get the fault code and clear it, which do u recommend?

Do you guys recommend this?

Amazon.com: ScanGauge SGIIFFP Ultra Compact 3-in-1 Automotive Computer with Customizable Real-Time Fuel Economy Digital Gauges (Frustration Free): Automotive

or should I get one of those modern bluetooth attachment pieces for much cheaper?

Amazon.com: Veepeak Mini Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII EOBD Scanner Adapter Automotive Check Engine Light Diagnostic Code Reader for Android Windows: Automotive

Thank you!

Last edited:
I use the torque app with a bluetooth dongle works great especially with my Android head unit. For more in depth items I have techstream j talled on my laptop as well.

Just be aware that the Bluetooth ones do not work with iOS. However the equally cheap and cheerful Wi-Fi ones do do work with iOS. Mine works great, I think it cost 15 bucks.

I should have been more specific. The one OP linked to does not work on iOS, nor do most of the cheap $15-$20 Bluetooth adapters. Previous to your example, the lowest price I've seen for an iOS compatible Bluetooth adapter is around the $100 mark. You found one for an intermediate price, and if you say it works with iOS, I believe you. But it does not have very good ratings, and being Bluetooth LE, rather than regular Bluetooth, seems to only work with particular apps. A regular Bluetooth iOS adapter should work with nearly any app. YMMV.

This, get this, UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool and Information Center, shop around for it and you might find it cheaper. I've had mine for 6? Years. You suction cup it to your windshield, plug it in, set it and forget it.
Each page shows 6 data points that you can set and it can scroll through 8 pages total, it will show all infor the ECU shows via OBDII.
It turns on and off automatically. You can reset trouble codes too of course.
Best money spent ever on a OBD scanner. It's the size of a index card, does not tie up your phone while using it.

I lashed out and got the mini ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 for $7.50, paired with Torque App, works fine with my Samsung mobile. Cleared my o2 sensor fault codes, which reappear sometime again later - I have a love/ hate relationship with my dash lights.

Thank you ALL for your prompt and useful inputs.
I use Samsung S8+, so IOS compatibility not a concern.

I think I will go with the bluetooth connection as it is easier to update the "APP" on my phone rather than buying an OBD device that will eventually be obsolete + low cost of bluetooth device.

Based on AMAZON reviews, I have decided narrow my options to go with either of these:

Veepeak Mini Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII EOBD Scanner Adapter Automotive
Check Engine Light Diagnostic Code Reader for Android Windows

Amazon.com: Veepeak Mini Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII EOBD Scanner Adapter Automotive Check Engine Light Diagnostic Code Reader for Android Windows: Automotive

This one also has good reviews, but almost 10x the price.

BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone, iPad & Android

Amazon.com: BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone, iPad & Android: Automotive

Looking at 2 devices, do you guys think the 2nd is worth the price?
If yes, I will buy it ,,, otherwise I will go with the cheaper one if you approve it ,,,

I appreciate your insights :)

I think I will go with the bluetooth connection as it is easier to update the "APP" on my phone rather than buying an OBD device that will eventually be obsolete + low cost of bluetooth device.

Based on AMAZON reviews, I have decided narrow my options to go with either of these:

Amazon.com: BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone, iPad & Android: Automotive

If yes, I will buy it ,,, otherwise I will go with the cheaper one if you approve it ,,,

I spent $3 on my bluetooth dongle on ebay purchased from Malaysia I have not been limited on what I can or cannot do on torque yet just my 2 cents.

If you're just wanting something to check/clear codes, etc then go the cheapest route possible.

If you want to see more info - like the AHC, being able to change settings, run Lexus diags, then get a techstream.

Worst case, get both. I have both, rarely use my cheap ODB2 reader.

I have a cheap little winbook that I run the techstream from now. Super easy to carry around...and they are super cheap right now.

Micro Center - Computers and Electronics

I spent $3 on my bluetooth dongle on ebay purchased from Malaysia I have not been limited on what I can or cannot do on torque yet just my 2 cents.

I am sorry, but how do u use the blutooth dongle?
What do u plug it into?
If I am going to get a cheap option might as well just get the cheap bluetooth device

If you're just wanting something to check/clear codes, etc then go the cheapest route possible.

If you want to see more info - like the AHC, being able to change settings, run Lexus diags, then get a techstream.

Worst case, get both. I have both, rarely use my cheap ODB2 reader.

I have a cheap little winbook that I run the techstream from now. Super easy to carry around...and they are super cheap right now.

Micro Center - Computers and Electronics

Thank you,
I have never heard of this "techstream" thing before, let me google it and get back to you,
but I appreciate you guys letting me know about it,
Thanks again :)

I am sorry, but how do u use the blutooth dongle?
What do u plug it into?
If I am going to get a cheap option might as well just get the cheap bluetooth device
A Bluetooth dongle (adapter) is what you linked to on amazon. It simply plugs into the OBD port under the dash. To use it, you need to have an app installed on your phone/tablet/etc (like Torque). Once your device pairs with the Bluetooth dongle you will be able to read and clear codes as well as view live data from various sensors. I use the OBDLink LX adapter and just leave it plugged into the OBD port.

I have both the Bluetooth adapter/Torque and Techstream on an old netbook. I use the Bluetooth adapter and Torque almost everyday to view live data on my trek to work while I have only used Techstream a handful of times in the shop.

I have that small blue veep plug in from amazon for use with android. I love it a lot more than getting an xp laptop out and using techstream. It works well with torque and obd fusion. With the toyota extras it seriously becomes a valuable diagnostic tool.

Sorry but a OBD scanner that will be obsolete? Obsolete when? When they stop making cars? I'm not to worried about it.
Get what you want, I just think it's silly to think that a app won't be obsolete the next time you get a new phone but you think the industry standard will be obsolete sooner than later.

EDIT: I did not mean to come off sounding harsh in this reply.

Last edited:

Yes.

A Bluetooth dongle (adapter) is what you linked to on amazon. It simply plugs into the OBD port under the dash. To use it, you need to have an app installed on your phone/tablet/etc (like Torque). Once your device pairs with the Bluetooth dongle you will be able to read and clear codes as well as view live data from various sensors. I use the OBDLink LX adapter and just leave it plugged into the OBD port.

I have both the Bluetooth adapter/Torque and Techstream on an old netbook. I use the Bluetooth adapter and Torque almost everyday to view live data on my trek to work while I have only used Techstream a handful of times in the shop.

If you've got an Android device, read the reviews for the LX Bluetooth linked to above. With Torque, you should be set. Based on my reviews, some of the inexpensive BT devices were prone to failure when I reviewed things a couple to three years ago. My two cents. Maybe things have changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom