OBD II SCAN TOOL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
8) I have a 97 80 and need advise for wich tool do you recommend based on your experience.

Thanks

Depends on how much money you have and how much you are going to use it.
A bottom of the line code reader is about useless, but pretty cheap. I can't tell you how cheap, because I wouldn't take the time to find out.
A real scan tool will cost about $2000 for an OTC genisys.
I like the Snap On MT2500 better for about twice the price.
Snap Ons new Modus is about $7000 with a five gas analyzer, an o scope and a nice large screen
The Toyota service center one should be available because of OBDII laws, but I don't know where you can get one. I just did the Ford training this week and thiers was $30,000 and included limited factory support. It allows you to read all the data stream and drive all of the controls. You can honk the horn, turn on lights, anything that is module controlled. You can also reflash EEPROMs if you have that capability. C-Dan says 2K and up Cruisers. Very, very nice if you have a large volume Toy only shop and/ or lots of disposable income. :D

Luago,
There are a lot of OBD-II scanners in the market so you'll have to be specific on what your requirements are, including your price range. Do some research here http://www.obdii.com/ and post back your detailed requirements.

For example, my requirements were for a simple device that would work on my 97 Cruiser and other friend and family vehicles. This means the device would need a "universal" type of interface and software. Low price (under $200) was a major requirement. My only technical requirements were that it had to read stored MIL codes and reset them. (They all do this!) I love Palm devices and wanted one that would work with a Palm and a laptop PC (WinPC.)  The Palm capability was a "nice-to-have" but not required.   Displaying standard OBD-II signals in real-time was another "nice-to-have" for me.

What this leaves out in the above requirements is a lot!!
For example:
* Toyota specific diagnostics
* Ability to capture, store, and recall stats from many vehicles.
* Touch screen operation (like an auto shop might use)
* General diagnostics with help on how to resolve problems by code.
* Sophisticated user interface and software
* ... and lots more features the pro units have ...

I selected the OBD-II device from Harrison R&D. (http://www.ghg.net/dharrison/)  It met my requirements above but it is a minimalist solution.  There are much better units available and I did very little research before selecting their product.

Bottom line is that it works, it's cheap, and it met the specified requirements.

-B-

B-
Will it read data stream? If so, it would be worth it. Codes are very misleading without data. For instance an intermittant miss could show up as a O2 out of range, a cat failure, a fuel trim problem, or a number of other codes. sometimes a little informations can be a dangerous thing.
If all you want to do is pull codes and reset lights, it would be pretty neat to be able to use a PDA to do it, but, for me, not worth too much money.

Gumby,

I think the answer is yes, but due to my limited knowledge of devices other than this one I'm not really sure.

From their web site:
Our Data Log function allows you to log four sensors simultaneously.  The data is recorded as fast as the vehicle will respond and the length of the data log is only limited by the amount of free space on your hard drive.  Data is time stamped and comma delimited for easy import into Excel™.

Here are a couple of screen shots running on a PC:

plot.gif

datalog70.jpg

-B-

I have had the Harrison OBD-II tool for 4 years and recently updated the software (free) so that I can continuously graph the data. You could always monitor an input in real time. Now it graphs and stores. it. It is a lot of bang for your $150- bucks, but you will need a laptop computer to work with it. It has saved me a bunch of money over the past few years.

Gumby,
Don't be too put off by their web site. It's horrendous. The OBD-II device and the PC software are definitely not professional quality. It is obviously a hobby box and software developed by a one-man shop. I don't even think he is a professional programmer as the interface looks amatureish. However, it works and does what I needed it to do. The Palm version is a little more professional than the PC version but limited of course, by the limitations of a monochrome PDA screen.
-B-

We use the one from these people. http://www.obd2.com/

The price has gone up, but the interface is pretty good. I used to have a cheaper one that work for personal stuff, but was not good enough in the shop.

It does all we need it to do, except for being able to "talk back to the car" in that one can not operate valves etc etc like with a proper scantool. Also, I have the laptop version, and would love the PocketPC model, but they do not offer an add on. Essentially have to buy the whole thing again.

Kind a frustrating.

I've been using the AutoXray EZ Link scanner. www.autoxray.com. Cost $259

Check out my post in the thread "back from mexico"

eD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom