O2 Sensor locations ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have 1992 Land Cruiser that has codes 21 and 28 on . I have tried clearing them and they have came back . The car sat for two years before i bought it . So I bought the replacement sensors after finding one covered in rust underneath the driver side door in the exhaust . Where is the other sensor located ? I am having a real trouble finding it for some reason . Any help would be greatly appreciated ? Thanks in advanced and I look forward to being here

Just keep following the exhaust routing until you find it. Or google exhaust system for the '92 to find an image. I know where the second one is for the later FZJ80's. It has a small shield on outboard side, so easier seen from well underneath the truck. I've been told that the forward sensor is most important since it is related to engine performance while the back one provides info on emissions/condition of cats. Good luck getting the nuts off studs...

On the 3FE, the exhaust pipe comes from split manifolds (2) off the engine. Each pipe has an O2 sensor right before they enter the catalytic converter (on top of the exhaust pipe). One exhaust pipe comes out of the catalytic converter and exits at the rear of the vehicle after their muffler. When looking up the part number, some books will identify which pipe the sensor is located (either left/right or by cylinder number). The only difference between the sensors is the length of the electrical pigtail.

Rust is a normal but painful reality. I am preparing to replace both my sensors, but due to rust, will be removing the exhaust from the flange on the manifold to the union just after the catalytic converter. Anticipating the studs for the sensors will break, as they will not loosen even after penetrant and judicious use of strength. Plus the nuts are corroded enough, neither socket nor wrench can gain a grip. Must exercise patience!

Good luck with your project!

On the 3FE, the exhaust pipe comes from split manifolds (2) off the engine. Each pipe has an O2 sensor right before they enter the catalytic converter (on top of the exhaust pipe). One exhaust pipe comes out of the catalytic converter and exits at the rear of the vehicle after their muffler. When looking up the part number, some books will identify which pipe the sensor is located (either left/right or by cylinder number). The only difference between the sensors is the length of the electrical pigtail.

Rust is a normal but painful reality. I am preparing to replace both my sensors, but due to rust, will be removing the exhaust from the flange on the manifold to the union just after the catalytic converter. Anticipating the studs for the sensors will break, as they will not loosen even after penetrant and judicious use of strength. Plus the nuts are corroded enough, neither socket nor wrench can gain a grip. Must exercise patience!

Good luck with your project!
I looked more closely under there this morning and will try to use the nut extractors I bought for a different job to see if those will pull them off but if it doesn't work I'm sure I can figure something out .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom