not so hardcore suspension in the KZJ77, LC II, or Prado 78 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the forum, but I've been reading a bunch of good threads over here! Tried to look for a similar post for what I'm trying to choose but can't seem to find one. Hope you guys can help me with some opinions on my project; I currently own a 1994 Land Cruiser II (as it was sold in Central America) with the 1KZT, and manual 5 speed.

I'm trying to bring it back to its glory, since it was neglected and used for farm work during many years; I repainted it, redid the interior, replaced the head gasket, new brakes, 33's BFG KO's, everything I've been able to find new has been replaced and other things have been restored. It still has a long way to go for what I want it to be which is as close to a complete restoration some day. (it is lifted with spacers as we speak, it drives really stiff)

WhatsApp Image 2021-08-22 at 7.05.00 PM.jpeg

I have come to the moment to replace the suspension; I know everybody goes either for OME or Dobinsons, which in my opinion are both the very best for offroading and heavy loads, I´ve tried dobinsons in a Y61 and it is just great for that load. However the truck will not be used for heavy offroading or loading, other than touring and ocasional gravel roads it won't be seeing many extreme roads anymore. this as you know came with Coilspring suspension all around (Specifically same as the one in the picture)

WhatsApp Image 2021-08-22 at 7.21.25 PM.jpeg

SO, the big question is: what settup can I run to get a comfortable ride and a decent 1-2" lift?
I personally like the ride on Bilsteins 5100 but haven't found some for this car (Would the gen 3 4runner or LC80, PRADO 90 fit?) has anyone fitted this or some similar settup? I think the would fit and but installing them upside down would definitively affect the performance of the shocks. If possible I would be running these, with some springs, and the bushing kit from Dobinsons.

what do you guys think? I will very much appreciate your knowledge and experience!

Memo

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the forum, but I've been reading a bunch of good threads over here! Tried to look for a similar post for what I'm trying to choose but can't seem to find one. Hope you guys can help me with some opinions on my project; I currently own a 1994 Land Cruiser II (as it was sold in Central America) with the 1KZT, and manual 5 speed.

I'm trying to bring it back to its glory, since it was neglected and used for farm work during many years; I repainted it, redid the interior, replaced the head gasket, new brakes, 33's BFG KO's, everything I've been able to find new has been replaced and other things have been restored. It still has a long way to go for what I want it to be which is as close to a complete restoration some day. (it is lifted with spacers as we speak, it drives really stiff)

View attachment 2766887

I have come to the moment to replace the suspension; I know everybody goes either for OME or Dobinsons, which in my opinion are both the very best for offroading and heavy loads, I´ve tried dobinsons in a Y61 and it is just great for that load. However the truck will not be used for heavy offroading or loading, other than touring and ocasional gravel roads it won't be seeing many extreme roads anymore. this as you know came with Coilspring suspension all around (Specifically same as the one in the picture)

View attachment 2766902

SO, the big question is: what settup can I run to get a comfortable ride and a decent 1-2" lift?
I personally like the ride on Bilsteins 5100 but haven't found some for this car (Would the gen 3 4runner or LC80, PRADO 90 fit?) has anyone fitted this or some similar settup? I think the would fit and but installing them upside down would definitively affect the performance of the shocks. If possible I would be running these, with some springs, and the bushing kit from Dobinsons.

what do you guys think? I will very much appreciate your knowledge and experience!

Memo

Generally speaking, heavier springs are better for heavy loads, but will lead to a stiff feeling suspension if not loaded enough. I found my old OME suspension to be on the stiffer side.

Softer springs are better for lighter loads, and also allow better articulation/flexibility when offroad. Personally, I found the Dobinson suspension to be softer and a gentle ride.

In any case, both of those manufacturers offer a range of spring options for the light duty 70 series. Just look for the springs that don't account for extra load capacity, and those will be most comfortable. I found taller springs to be more comfortable also.

Currently I'm running some mystery JDM 4" lift springs on 35" tires, and my truck is so comfortable I call it 'marshmallow'. It flexes very well with the springs also. I think some of the best aftermarket spring options were/are available in Japan. But hard to source unless you have connections there.

Generally speaking, heavier springs are better for heavy loads, but will lead to a stiff feeling suspension if not loaded enough. I found my old OME suspension to be on the stiffer side.

Softer springs are better for lighter loads, and also allow better articulation/flexibility when offroad. Personally, I found the Dobinson suspension to be softer and a gentle ride.

In any case, both of those manufacturers offer a range of spring options for the light duty 70 series. Just look for the springs that don't account for extra load capacity, and those will be most comfortable. I found taller springs to be more comfortable also.

Currently I'm running some mystery JDM 4" lift springs on 35" tires, and my truck is so comfortable I call it 'marshmallow'. It flexes very well with the springs also. I think some of the best aftermarket spring options were/are available in Japan. But hard to source unless you have connections there.
thanks for the help! I'll look for some springs for light loads!

Hey GTS, I noticed your post on on running JDM mystery coil springs with newer shocks. I too am interested in running this, though primarily for road/highway driving to soften the blow on potholes on the East Coast and keep my wife wanting to keep taking road trips with me :). I believe I have a 3-4" lift on imported springs, and cheap ProComp shocks. For some reason, there are no caster bushings on the truck which I'll need to get added. My goal is to have a soft, smooth ride when hitting road seams and potholes. The truck also leans a lot at high speeds, which I believe upgrading the shocks and adding sway bar extensions will greatly help.

My question is: you mentioned Dobinsons as soft. I am looking at the IMS. I'm also considering Bilsteins (a longer travel shock to make up for the tall springs we have). Going to stay away from OME for now as I've heard they're stiffer. It seems like you are happy with the Dobinsons shocks which model do you have and are they still harsh when taking on potholes, etc?

Hey GTS, I noticed your post on on running JDM mystery coil springs with newer shocks. I too am interested in running this, though primarily for road/highway driving to soften the blow on potholes on the East Coast and keep my wife wanting to keep taking road trips with me :). I believe I have a 3-4" lift on imported springs, and cheap ProComp shocks. For some reason, there are no caster bushings on the truck which I'll need to get added. My goal is to have a soft, smooth ride when hitting road seams and potholes. The truck also leans a lot at high speeds, which I believe upgrading the shocks and adding sway bar extensions will greatly help.

My question is: you mentioned Dobinsons as soft. I am looking at the IMS. I'm also considering Bilsteins (a longer travel shock to make up for the tall springs we have). Going to stay away from OME for now as I've heard they're stiffer. It seems like you are happy with the Dobinsons shocks which model do you have and are they still harsh when taking on potholes, etc?

Hello. These trucks do lean a lot going around corners with the taller springs. A proper swaybar geometry will help quite a bit. I've grown used to how my truck handles; but I am careful with who else I let drive it, as really I think it's borderline unsafe on the highway. That said I don't run sway bars at all now.... It's absolutely fantastic in city and off road however; which is most of what I do.

I'm totally happy with the Dobinsons; except I think they're not quite long enough for my lift as I have fully extended them off road numerous times. The exact part numbers are highlighted in this post: LJ78 100mm lift on 35s - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lj78-100mm-lift-on-35s.1232042/post-13484117

Let me know if you find longer shocks that work, as I may follow suit. I wonder if bumpstops should be increased then...? I've heard that various Landrover ones could be suitable, but never looked into it too much.

Hello. These trucks do lean a lot going around corners with the taller springs. A proper swaybar geometry will help quite a bit. I've grown used to how my truck handles; but I am careful with who else I let drive it, as really I think it's borderline unsafe on the highway. That said I don't run sway bars at all now.... It's absolutely fantastic in city and off road however; which is most of what I do.

I'm totally happy with the Dobinsons; except I think they're not quite long enough for my lift as I have fully extended them off road numerous times. The exact part numbers are highlighted in this post: LJ78 100mm lift on 35s - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lj78-100mm-lift-on-35s.1232042/post-13484117

Let me know if you find longer shocks that work, as I may follow suit. I wonder if bumpstops should be increased then...? I've heard that various Landrover ones could be suitable, but never looked into it too much.
I’m actually headed to Australia for work next month and am seriously thinking about having springs from that 4WDbits website shipped to where I am staying and bring them home to save on the shipping. Just to have a new pair of JDM springs. Just need to get the correct configurations, then will match them with a high quality longer shock

Very happy with the ride on my LJ77 with a 60 mm Dobinson lift.

I'm in that mystery long springs camp too 😆
My KZJ78 came with stock, practically dead shocks and aftermarket JDM springs with a hint of pink paint left on them. I think @malteser had an good educated guess on the JDM pink springs brand iirc.

I do like the ride stance, but I have yet to be able to talk myself into getting the Dobinson's or OME shocks TBH. I have a bad experience with the OME setup on an 80, but that was a long time ago.

I am actually leaning towards either finding a way of "rebuilding" the OEM shocks (I like the electronic control option they came with, which is to my surprise, still somewhat functional even when the shocks are all but dead. Or, find a bespoke set of premium shocks that fit my setup and maybe be adjustable as well. IDK.

My KZJ78 came with stock, practically dead shocks and aftermarket JDM springs with a hint of pink paint left on them. I think @malteser had an good educated guess on the JDM pink springs brand iirc.

I do like the ride stance, but I have yet to be able to talk myself into getting the Dobinson's or OME shocks TBH. I have a bad experience with the OME setup on an 80, but that was a long time ago.

I am actually leaning towards either finding a way of "rebuilding" the OEM shocks (I like the electronic control option they came with, which is to my surprise, still somewhat functional even when the shocks are all but dead. Or, find a bespoke set of premium shocks that fit my setup and maybe be adjustable as well. IDK.

😉

😉
Dammit that's it!

Thank you sir!

Since my springs seem to be in good shape (in terms of height and responsiveness), I might just powder coat them and the stick them back in.

Wonder if there were OEM shocks from other big Toyota vehicles that would work? 🤔

Dammit that's it!

Thank you sir!

Since my springs seem to be in good shape (in terms of height and responsiveness), I might just powder coat them and the stick them back in.

Wonder if there were OEM shocks from other big Toyota vehicles that would work? 🤔

You're welcome 🙂

I agree on your springs. If you're happy with the height and feel just re-coat them!

As for shocks, I don't have any experience with brands other than Ironman, since I've had my foamcell shocks for 9 years now and they still do the job quite well! I would certainly recommend them. They even make them in Foamcell Pro now.

Have you / anyone tried custom King shocks? Heard good things. Not a kit. You call in with the specs and they calibrate the valving to your vehicle.

I've used both Dobinson's and Iron Man on KZJ78s. Both worked great. I can't give a valid ride comparison because I installed Iron Man foam cells over completely unknown springs while the other car got Dobinson's nitrogen shocks plus matched springs (2" kit if I recall). The ride on the Iron Man equipped KZJ78 was a tiny bit stiffer than the Dobinson's, but I'd guess that's more the springs than the shocks. Both worked well... I'd be comfortable using either brand depending on who has the right lift option or is offering the best price at the time.

I wrapped up doing stock height Dobinson on a KZJ78 while maintaining what I believe are original coils. The ride is much better than what it was with blown out shocks, but I am up in the air on them. I don't think they are bad, but I don't think they are the cat's meow either. I have the entire bushing set waiting to go and then I will make final judgement on it. I think it is a little unfair to base judgement on the ride quality when I know I have known worn other parts. With that said if I could have the IMS shocks instead the nitrogen shocks I would have gone that route. They just don't make them in the stock height.

Dammit that's it!

Thank you sir!

Hello,

OEM shocks from a post-1999 70 Series truck could be an option.

OEM shocks are not as fancy as, say, OME or Dobinsons, but they work well.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom