BaT Not Mine: PZJ70 Pickup with 1HZ-T Swap (1 Viewer)

Bring-a-Trailer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 70 Series
Mileage
Color
Gray
Not mine. The build quality is suspect. Looks like a Costa Rican spray-and-pray.

What do you think this will go for?

1-C30-FC3-C-6698-42-AA-BD99-A5-E02-A08826-D.webp

Turbocharged 1HZ-Powered 1992 Toyota Land Cruiser PZJ70 Pickup 5-Speed - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-toyota-land-cruiser-49/

Hey guys, im new to the forum and to the whole toyota scene i just really like these trucks so you guys will have to pardon my ignorance on the subject. Im looking for a 70 series truck and came accross this one and I’m being a bit tempted but since I see you guys know a lot i thought I would ask here. I see the issues mentioned before but what could be so catastrofically bad with it? Just asking for a friend i dont know much of these cars but I do want a modded 70 series truck

I think my question would be how would you guys have it done the right way?
The short answer is - find a truck closer to stock/OEM and have a reputable vendor here in the States modify it for you.

This is a much better candidate: For Sale - 1996 Land Cruiser 75 Series Pickup LHD. 1HZ - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1996-land-cruiser-75-series-pickup-lhd-1hz.1285667/

Has anyone offered to help fix it together yet?

Catching up with you all on this. I was stoked when this popped up on my bat email that it was listed. If Bat is going to author-sugar coat these listings like this they will become extinct over it. If they want to sell and represent pedigree vehicles they should pre screen in person and look at a pos like this case and decline to sell it or... state the facts of what the strong drawbacks are and risks. I have bought cars at Barrett Jackson and you would be surprised they draw hard lines on safety and if a car has bad workmanship it's not sold with the nicest vehicles. If it has amateur workmanship but is safe and sellable its sold on a weekday with other vehicles of its caliber instead of being prime time with the nicest vehicles. Without repeating the obvious I agree with you all on all comments. It's a shame these sellers and importers don't bring them here as is and do the work here correctly. I would of loved to see that vehicle when it was untouched get shoved in a container and come here as is. It would be so much easier to make it right than the pain in the rear to tear this one back apart and start over.

The 43 series trucks coming in have the same s*** workmanship. It kills me to look at them. I wish they came over unmolested.

I very much want to have in a bad way a newest year as possible 70 series pickup. If anyone out there has a nice carcass to start on or a finished rig please reach out. I am a serious buyer. I watch this classified post as much as I can which is not near enough for my love of TLC's.

Hello to all my old friends on mud would love to hear for you.

Kirk

Last edited:
I think it boils down to what people value.

When I first started looking at Land Cruisers, I was impressed (and naive) with the South American trucks. They had pretty paint and seemed to be in decent condition.

I did not understand when people said they would “never buy a South American truck.”

It wasn’t until I started deep-diving on Mud that I researched more of the mechanical components of the trucks.

I think most Mud members here would much rather have a 70 series with a crusty/ugly/patina’d body but with a top notch drivetrain and suspension, than the reverse.

But for a lot of buyers on BaT, they just want a pretty truck they can show off to their friends and go get coffee around town. They don’t understand the suspension or drivetrain, and don’t care. They genuinely do think this truck is “badass.”

I probably should have just kept my mouth shut. In reality, these South American trucks get listed on BaT all the time (in worse condition) and nobody bats an eye. I just stumbled on this 70 series Pickup and it struck a cord. Probably because I own one and didn’t want anyone to be fooled.

I suppose I was just trying to watch out for the younger version of myself, who might have bid on this truck and then ultimately been severely disappointed on the condition.

Catching up with you all on this. I was stoked when this popped up on my bat email that it was listed. If Bat is going to author-sugar coat these listings like this they will become extinct over it. If they want to sell and represent pedigree vehicles they should pre screen in person and look at a pos like this case and decline to sell it or... state the facts of what the strong drawbacks are and risks. I have bought cars at Barrett Jackson and you would be surprised they draw hard lines on safety and if a car has bad workmanship it's not sold with the nicest vehicles. If it has amateur workmanship but is safe and sellable its sold on a weekday with other vehicles of its caliber instead of being prime time with the nicest vehicles. Without repeating the obvious I agree with you all on all comments. It's a shame these sellers and importers don't bring them here as is and do the work here correctly. I would of loved to see that vehicle when it was untouched get shoved in a container and come here as is. It would be so much easier to make it right than the pain in the rear to tear this one back apart and start over.

The 43 series trucks coming in have the same s*** workmanship. It kills me to look at them. I wish they came over unmolested.

I very much want to have in a bad way a newest year as possible 70 series pickup. If anyone out there has a nice carcass to start on or a finished rig please reach out. I am a serious buyer. I watch this classified post as much as I can which is not near enough for my love of TLC's.

Hello to all my old friends on mud would love to hear for you.

Kirk

Old school. Kirk: I think I owe you a call. 🤙

Haha! Hey Will. I was the guy who commented in the BAT listing right after you posted all the questions “thank you for raising these questions…hope you don’t get censored/flagged” Classic. I get flagged all the time raising questions in the Jeep sales. Lots of Hemi swaps with no thought about axles there. But these 70’s are actually dangerous. Thanks for trying to help and chiming in. Keep it up! Makes everyone know when a good one comes up and no one has questions it’s legit! What makes BAT “different”
Is the critical comments. The BAT founders know this. Disappointing they let this pos go on

Haha! Hey Will. I was the guy who commented in the BAT listing right after you posted all the questions “thank you for raising these questions…hope you don’t get censored/flagged” Classic. I get flagged all the time raising questions in the Jeep sales. Lots of Hemi swaps with no thought about axles there. But these 70’s are actually dangerous. Thanks for trying to help and chiming in. Keep it up! Makes everyone know when a good one comes up and no one has questions it’s legit! What makes BAT “different”
Is the critical comments. The BAT founders know this. Disappointing they let this pos go on
Thanks for the feedback!

I thought BaT was more thorough in their screening process. But lately I’ve seen a lot of South American junk trucks slipping by. Dunno if they’re just not aware. Or just want big/flashy auctions.

Watch it will magically relist in 45 days. I wonder what the current owner has in it sitting in his garage?

I can't believe people were still bidding on it after all the issues pointed out by you guys. That goes beyond a sucker born every minute. Just moronic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom