Not cruiser related.. (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

YrtpL-XOPVhZbPnW5ErQd6Tkpz_ovGlm0J0rF1Ig73I.jpg

Know anyone in auto body? I’m considering buying back my car and repairing it myself. To pass inspection I’ll need a body man/woman to weld in the replacement fender aprons and rad support. It’s not very structural, but I’m not certified to do that sort of repair.

From what I understand it’ll also need some pulls on the bent parts to put things back where they belong. Needless to say, not something I can do on my own. From what I understand, the bigger shops are too busy to bother with piddly jobs like this… I’d hate to scrap the car over a bent hood, fender, rad support, and a few other bolt on parts. Parts are probably only about $1000 total, and the car is valued at over 13k.

This is a 13 k repair job according to ICBC. Do they have a bonus for writing off older gas cars?
IMG_3878.jpeg
IMG_3874.jpeg

$400 to straighten this bend.
IMG_3863.jpeg

I pulled on the bent piece… it will easily straighten by hand.
IMG_3857.jpeg

The passenger side fender was damaged by the plastic headlight. The bumper cover was attached prior to the ICBC estimate.

The car was still running and driving before it was towed. I can get all the parts new for $2000ish or used for $1000.

What am I not seeing? There was no damage to the foam underneath the front bumper cover.

Hood, bumper cover, rad support bars, rad & condenser, overflow tank, and a/c lines.

Round number wise, I can keep the car and get $11,000. Anyone think it would cost me more than $11,000 to repair?

Keep in mind, mechanically it’s fine other than a rad leak.

Last edited:
This is a 13 k repair job according to ICBC. Do they have a bonus for writing off older gas cars? View attachment 3324353View attachment 3324354
$400 to straighten this bend.
View attachment 3324356
I pulled on the bent piece… it will easily straighten by hand.
View attachment 3324357
The passenger side fender was damaged by the plastic headlight. The bumper cover was attached prior to the ICBC estimate.

The car was still running and driving before it was towed. I can get all the parts new for $2000ish or used for $1000.

What am I not seeing? There was no damage to the foam underneath the front bumper cover.

Hood, bumper cover, rad support bars, rad & condenser, overflow tank, and a/c lines.

Round number wise, I can keep the car and get $11,000. Anyone think it would cost me more than $11,000 to repair?

Keep in mind, mechanically it’s fine other than a rad leak.
Well I guess the first question is if the sub frame is tweaked or not. And the costs to get it safetied/allowed back on the road. Or what status you'd have if you keep it.

The second is you're talking about doing work yourself, to some unknown standard, and insurance would need to do it to a standard where it would meet the requirements of the cars owner.

Realistically if it's an older car, its probably cheaper to assume there's a bit more damage, write off the vehicle and never pay a shop to start on it / look at it.

Costs start to add up fast, you say $2000 in new parts, then you need to add on a minimum of a couple hours for the body shop to take it apart, assess if anything else is broken / tweaked, a couple of hours to paint new parts with probably several coats of paint, a couple of hours to reassemble. Minimum they'll have is 6 - 10 hrs.

Add on a rental for this time for you, and the chances of finding more issues... And the chance that the owner will fight about it not being fixed correctly and needing to go back again...

Last time I dealt with Icbc was quite a few years ago, but I think they basically used 50% of the cars value as a write off point. Was cheaper then going into the details for each car I guess...

Well I guess the first question is if the sub frame is tweaked or not. And the costs to get it safetied/allowed back on the road. Or what status you'd have if you keep it.

The second is you're talking about doing work yourself, to some unknown standard, and insurance would need to do it to a standard where it would meet the requirements of the cars owner.

Realistically if it's an older car, its probably cheaper to assume there's a bit more damage, write off the vehicle and never pay a shop to start on it / look at it.

Costs start to add up fast, you say $2000 in new parts, then you need to add on a minimum of a couple hours for the body shop to take it apart, assess if anything else is broken / tweaked, a couple of hours to paint new parts with probably several coats of paint, a couple of hours to reassemble. Minimum they'll have is 6 - 10 hrs.

Add on a rental for this time for you, and the chances of finding more issues... And the chance that the owner will fight about it not being fixed correctly and needing to go back again...

Last time I dealt with Icbc was quite a few years ago, but I think they basically used 50% of the cars value as a write off point. Was cheaper then going into the details for each car I guess...
It's my own car. No damage to the frame. After repeatedly saying it's an obvious total loss, they came back with a $13,000 estimate to back up their previous statements.

I'm planning to buy it back and use the $11,500 change to repair it good enough. I can get all the parts needed for $2000. Hoping to be able to get it back together for $3-4k, and have some change left for any surprises that could crop up.

Last edited:
In what feels like a former life... much too long ago, I came across a brown bear while putting up km marker signs for the Forrest Service 15+ kms off the highway. Needless to say, I kept one eye on it the whole time. I kept the truck running, the door open, and the chainsaw within easy reach.

The one I saw was sitting on it's haunches... and only about 2.5' tall to its shoulder. I was 18, out there on my own, and out of reach of help by radio or otherwise. There was also no cell phone coverage in the area (or probably any at that time). I certainly didn't want to take any chances... I wouldn't be here if anything happened out there.

In what feels like a former life... much too long ago, I came across a brown bear while putting up km marker signs for the Forrest Service 15+ kms off the highway. Needless to say, I kept one eye on it the whole time. I kept the truck running, the door open, and the chainsaw within easy reach.

The one I saw was sitting on it's haunches... and only about 2.5' tall to its shoulder. I was 18, out there on my own, and out of reach of help by radio or otherwise. There was also no cell phone coverage in the area (or probably any at that time). I certainly didn't want to take any chances... I wouldn't be here if anything happened out there.

They're so quick you wouldn't even have had time to raise your chainsaw up in time. Glad it didn't come to that.

I was chased by a bear while mountain biking as a 15yo (or at least it was running parallel to me). Luckly I was going down a steep hill and gave it all I had. Was probably going 60km/hr. Bear was just a streak in the woods beside me. Not sure when it veered off, because I was just trying not to wipe out, and obviously kept going for a long time.

Bought a sprinter 3500 for 1650$ with no compression on number 2 cylinder. Found a used om647 and tranny with 185,xxx kms for 3 grand.

Winning!!!

91CFB417-DC04-4303-8AFB-5B50F71F2A48.jpeg

Bought a sprinter 3500 for 1650$ with no compression on number 2 cylinder. Found a used om647 and tranny with 185,xxx kms for 3 grand.

Winning!!!

View attachment 3342221
Is that a replacement for the stock engine? I'm not up on Sprinter van powertrains.

Nice! Future camper, or is it for work?
I got bored of building my tiny home so I figured I'd go balls deep in some grease to make some $$$$.

I got bored of building my tiny home so I figured I'd go balls deep in some grease to make some $$$$.
So you're just gonna re-engine that Sprinter and flip it? What year and motor have you got as replacement?

Had some excitement today… heading east on Tattersall, an oncoming motorcycle came into the corner too fast and crossed the double yellow line…

To avoid hitting him head on I swerved off the road, dodged a signpost (now on my left) and a rock wall on my right. Meanwhile the bike was squirming back and forth and now upright coming down the middle of the lane.

I brought my 10k rig to a halt, and backed off the lawn I was most of the way into. The motorcycle rider came over and said thanks, and seemed to want to hug me for saving his but. Fortunately no one was hurt, no vehicle’s damaged, and not even the law was torn up.

One of the drivers who’d pulled over behind me chewed him out for riding too fast… I didn’t tell him that. He almost layed his bike down into the front end of an ambulance, recovered and would have slammed into my rig head on… he already knew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom