Not cruiser related.. (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have another set of those cool powered bench legs, so I'm making myself a faux Roubo bench.

Some crappy oak wrapped around an old chunk of laminated beam. Beam as a core to give it mass so it doesn't bounce around.

View attachment 3282065View attachment 3282066

I'll add a long vise to the side, just not easy to find acme rod and nuts around here. Could use regular threaded rod I guess. Just slow. :lol:

Still need to wire up the legs, and make a little shelf underneath it so i don't lose all those dogs, but it's getting there.

Time for a leaf blower clean up. :lol:
Very nice work!!

Thanks, should be nice. Clamping weird shaped s*** at comfortable heights will be freakin luxury.

Decided for the side vise, I've never attempted threading on my lathe before so it was a good chance to try it.

Kindof interesting mixing and matching the gears to see what thread counts come out. Looks like 8tpi, a fine thread of some sort ( didn't let it go for the full inch to count lol) and then the coarse 6tpi acme I was looking for.
Should be a 4th option too. No idea what that might be...:hmm:
Really need a follow rest for something this long, but it worked ok. As long as I took light cuts. Some fine tuning to go.

Haven't quite figured out how I'll cut the nut plates just yet, but that's wednesday's fun.

PXL_20230326_190316536.jpg
PXL_20230326_234532912.jpg

If my hourly rate was 5 bucks, these would still be really expensive 🤣

But, at least I know how to do it now.

Hopefully I'll finish this glorified workmate today.

View attachment 3287084
cool.

Same could be said for my labour intensive Hood spear that’ll out last the rest of the truck (& possibly us). Sometimes ya can’t put a price on crafting something yourself. :grinpimp:

Never underestimate the value of a workmate… I did most of the milling on my hood spear on a beat up workmate with a carbide bit in a router.

Yours looks nice enough to even mill an exhaust manifold on it… :)

Last edited:
9C42EEF8-66FB-4182-87C4-DB71229BF1A5.jpeg

400k and still going strong… 1,000,000 here we come… at less than 5k a year average it’ll take a few years. ;)

cool.

Same could be said for my labour intensive Hood spear that’ll out last the rest of the truck (& possibly us). Sometimes ya can’t put a price on crafting something yourself. :grinpimp:

Never underestimate the value of a workmate… I did most of the milling on my hood spear on a beat up workmate with a carbide bit in a router.

Yours looks nice enough to even mill an exhaust manifold on it… :)
Yeah it was a fun learning process. Slow on a 120 year old lathe but that's part of it's charm lol.

If I need dead flat I have a 400lb slab of steel on my other bench, this will just be nice for small jobs.

Just some wiring and the shelf now.

PXL_20230331_203231487.jpg

Here it is cranked right up to titty height. :grinpimp:
PXL_20230331_213012554.jpg

To be politically correct, that is Moob Height!

After 20 years of savage abuse, my s***ty Chinese press was bent in most directions.

PXL_20230503_164122179.jpg

It also has repeatedly been an inch too narrow for something, so it seemed like a good time to make it wider.
Gained about 8" and I suspect it's stronger.

Bradford's piglets came in handy.
:lol:

PXL_20230503_224333508.jpg

At some point I'll find a better jack for it, but I have a guitar experiment coming up and wanted the press to be less s***ty for it.

Always wanted to put a lexan blast shield on mine for pressing out those Toyota 3B water pump bearings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom