For Sale North Dallas, 02/1981 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
Green
Long story short, never going to get to this project done....I've spent my whole summer with my youngest at football camps, working, and taking my oldest to see the in-laws across the pond....My son's have moved on to even more expensive hobbies such as girls and beer.....

Long story: Bought this from a local north Texas cruiser guy. He was in middle of a divorce and wanted to get rid of this. I bought it on the spur of the moment because after having messed with my son's 1968, I was in love with the idea of something that already had all the goodies, i.e. power dual circuit disc brakes, 4 speed on the floor, roll bar, parking brake on rear axle, gas tank under rig etc....

It's a total rust bucket, swiss cheese, bottom of all doors are gone. Needs metal every where, BUT, has some good bones: Starts and no smoke, frame is solid, has scaling but cleans up nicely. I've replaced: starter, gas tank, troll hole carb, powder coated wheels, new tires, just got the radiator fixed and pressure tested (had a pin hole), brake master cylinder, front caliper rebuild.

I have 9800$ into it.....want to get that much back out of it as it sits. Message me with any questions, shoot me your number and I can text pictures, a cold start video, etc...

Thanks

IMG_3756.jpeg

IMG_3753.jpeg

IMG_3755.jpeg

IMG_3752.jpeg

IMG_3754.jpeg

Last edited:
looks like a great candidate for the Chinese tub

.. all I wanted to do was drive it… cheap tub and aftermarket soft top

Was even thinking of bud built rear fender corners and a bikini top😁

I honestly think people should get out of that mindset, that every 40 needs to be restored to be able to enjoy? I have a buddy who imported a bj46 from japan about 15 years ago! He runs a slaughterhouse on the coast and rigs rust bad! It was rusty when he imported it. Now 15 years later it is still being driven, used and enjoyed! It hardly has a tub now! But its still the favorite farm truck! I have an hj47 troopy I have been driving and enjoying for a few years, yes it has rust, I did some floor boards a couple years ago, then some rear sill work, some rattlecan here and there all while being a daily usable rig. Of course the mechanical side of things get done as required. It doesn’t have to be perfect to be an enjoyable rig! Glws Dallas, this will make someone happy to own with the right mindset!

Sent pm

Whitey45, we are in agreement, I just want a driver…. I’ve got 2 teenagers, 2 100 lb german sheperds and a Belgian Malinois…. No way I could have a “nice” pristine TLC… I’d be a nervous wreck worrying about it getting dinged up or the Malinois ripping the seats to shreds😃

We have 4 FJ40s at our house. They are all rusty, abandoned projects (much like our dogs….) that we’ve rescued. My boys mostly drove a patina ‘77 that we got to a really dependable daily driver level. We have our original ‘68 farmers special that needs dual circuit brakes to be a daily. We have a ‘75 that was an abandoned 350SBC swap attempt, got it going and drove it to Lone Star Cruiser Roundup in Mason this year. The boys need the money they sunk into these for college, we really only have an emotional attachment to the ‘68, because it was our first. This ‘81 is most recent purchase (2 years ago, sort of last one in, first one to go situation)

Clutchee, I’m in Nebraska dropping my kid off at college, I’ll call you when I get back tomorrow night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom