Norcal Wagons on the Rubicon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Josh...

Can we get your definition of "insane" both your dictionary definition, as well as, your working definition--i.e., in situ

You are, after all, going to college. Consider this a writing exercise. :D

Pics too of your 'insanity'. :grinpimp:

To me, those trails that the NorCal guys go on are pretty 'insane.' I can guarantee you that though it might look easy to you, once you get in there, you will more than likely develop wet spots in the usual places. I think you are seeing extremely good driving and extremely well-aware folks taking their vehicles to some good limits...

Thanks again NorCal dudes...always epic pics.

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

Last edited:
Beno I am not discounting them. I am saying from my opinion that what they are doing looks like fun. It is hard but that is what makes it fun. Insane things where it is for trucks with at least 40 inch tires is not fun for me because of what I drive it is easy to break things. I know from experience. I might not know a lot about tech but I do wheel every weekend. And I will put some pics this week. I am not saying I am hardcore no matter what. I am saying what they do looks like fun. It is my opinion. This is not tech Beno. So you don't need to get on my case. Trails is my section. It is what really interests me and I am giving them props on the ride. I think it is great. It is what I do the most.

stuck in GA said:
Beno I am not discounting them. I am saying from my opinion that what they are doing looks like fun. It is hard but that is what makes it fun. Insane things where it is for trucks with at least 40 inch tires is not fun for me because of what I drive it is easy to break things. I know from experience. I might not know a lot about tech but I do wheel every weekend. And I will put some pics this week. I am not saying I am hardcore no matter what. I am saying what they do looks like fun. It is my opinion. This is not tech Beno. So you don't need to get on my case. Trails is my section. It is what really interests me and I am giving them props on the ride. I think it is great. It is what I do the most.

Josh...I'm not getting on your case. I'm just really interested in seeing and hearing your definition of insane. That's all dude...and we all know that tech is not your speciality... :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
Later
-o-

Brentbba said:
Is it as difficult as it looks? Otherwise looks and sounds like a blast!

The Rubicon is a difficult trail, and the obstacles in Doug's photos are fairly routine. Still, the wagons when piloted carefully, can go through just fine. For Brent-I remember your 80 does not have lockers-that would make it much harder, so if you want to try it with us next year, and I hope you do, lockers would be a very good thing.

One nice thing about the trail is that the first 100 yards of trail accurately represents the difficulties that lie ahead. If you can do the Gatekeeper, you should be able to handle the rest of the trail. As Doug mentions, you cannot relax until you shut of the motor at the end of each day, at least if you value your mechanicals and sheet metal.

As for Stuck in GA-There is barely any "4 wheeling" in Virginia, let alone multiday trail marathons like the Rubicon. I hope you get the chance to experience the Rubicon one day, you would likely enjoy it. I would reccomend you sign up with one of the Jeeper Jamboree runs in July. :rolleyes:

A few people asked about the carnitas recipe from Friday night's dinner.

Here it is:

Ingredients:
Aprox. 1 quart of chicken broth
4 or 5 pounds of boneless pork shoulder
several large sprigs of cilantro
2 teaspoons of whole cumin seeds
1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
1 tablespoon dried thyme
5 garlic cloves, whole, smashed.
2 or 3 bay leaves
1 large onion, quartered

Directions:
Cut the pork shoulder into large chunks. Trim and discard large pieces of fat. Leaving some fat on the pork will add flavor to the carnitas -- most of this remaining fat will disolve during the cooking process.

Put a large oven-proof pot or dutch oven, on the stove on medium-high heat. Add the pork and remaining ingredients -- in the past, I've tied up the herbs/spices in a small square of cheesecloth (to create a "bouquet garni"), but I don't usually bother with this step anymore. If pork is not fully covered by the chicken broth, add enough water to cover.

Bring the broth to a boil then reduce heat to a low simmer. Continue to simmer for 3 or 4 hours on the stove or place the pot/dutch oven into a 300 degree oven for about 3 hours.

Cooking time is aproximate. Cook until pork is tender and easily pulls apart. Remove pork and discard onion, broth, etc.

You can eat immediately, however, I like carnitas that have a slightly crispy texture. If you like the same, heat the chunks of pork in a frying pan and heat on high. You shouldn't need to add any oil, but may if required.

Just before serving, sprinkle some kosher salt on the carnitas if necessary.

The stuff I brought on the trail was cooled once I removed it from the broth and vacuum sealed. I stored the carnitas in the freezer at home. The day before the trip, I transferred it to the fridge and let it slowly thaw in the fridge during the trip. I checked it the morning of the day I planned to reheat for dinner to make sure it was thawed enough.

All I needed to do once we were at camp was to reheat the chunks and crisp the exterior of some of the pieces.

Serve with guacamole, salsa, tortillas, etc.

Cruiserdrew said:
The Rubicon is a difficult trail, and the obstacles in Doug's photos are fairly routine. Still, the wagons when piloted carefully, can go through just fine. For Brent-I remember your 80 does not have lockers-that would make it much harder, so if you want to try it with us next year, and I hope you do, lockers would be a very good thing.

One nice thing about the trail is that the first 100 yards of trail accurately represents the difficulties that lie ahead. If you can do the Gatekeeper, you should be able to handle the rest of the trail. As Doug mentions, you cannot relax until you shut of the motor at the end of each day, at least if you value your mechanicals and sheet metal.

As for Stuck in GA-There is barely any "4 wheeling" in Virginia, let alone multiday trail marathons like the Rubicon. I hope you get the chance to experience the Rubicon one day, you would likely enjoy it. I would reccomend you sign up with one of the Jeeper Jamboree runs in July. :rolleyes:

Andrew - nope, I've got factory lockers, just not very well used. I, however, have no lift or front bumper and that would concern me more.

I think it's your trip in the May time frame that sounded more interesting to me.

Cruise Moab?

4" or 6" lift...ARB or Slee front bumper...you're ready to roll on the Rubicon :D

NorCalDoug said:
Cruise Moab?

4" or 6" lift...ARB or Slee front bumper...you're ready to roll on the Rubicon :D

Seriously Brent-You're on the list already. See you there.

Doug-Thanks for the details on the Carnitas. They were delicious and we will be trying your recipe at my house. The idea of double cooking in lard has always turned me off, but your method works around that. Yum.

Brentbba said:
Is it as difficult as it looks? Otherwise looks and sounds like a blast!
I'd say it's more difficult than it looks, especially in still photos. I watched a video of CZR45, pirouetting on his slider over the big rock just past the gatekeeper (he was coming out backwards last June). At least two or three tires over 2 or 3 feet in the air, body panels flailling inches from huge boulders, using momentum and finesse, putting a 6 foot square peg through a 5 foot round hole, and ultimately getting the 33-inch tire shod FZJ80 through without a scratch. It was VERY impressive. :eek:

I've seen much wilder scenes in person. The best stuff is rarely photographed.

The Rubicon is by far my personal favorite trail. It is always a blast and VERY entertaining. It changes your whole perspective on wheeling and the capabilities of your cruiser. The term "difficult" takes on a whole different meaning. The funny part is I don't consider the Rubicon that "difficult" anymore. Challenging...yes, a blast...absolutely!

I REALLY reget missing the fun with my NorCal Wagon brothers this year. :frown: Wheeling trips don't get any better in my book.

(Can't wait to see the video (Jay) at SnT) :D

Jim - it goes without saying that you were definitely missed. I hoisted a few rounds of 100% agave in your honor, but it just wasn't the same. :frown:

I look forward to catching up at S-n-T :D

Hey Snook-How about some video from Rubicon I? I don't think I can wait until SnT and it might be raining. I'm sure the SnT crowd would much rather see the Norcal (Rubicon II) video.

pismojim said:
(Can't wait to see the video (Jay) at SnT) :D

Looks like I am pretty much done with Pre Rubithon (Not Rubicon!) video editing and it is 22 minutes long! I will see if I can wrap up Rubicon 2005 before SnT 2005, who knows.

BTW, this video DO contained so many multi-violence scenes so it will be rated by Jack Valenti, the president of the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) as R for non-Toyota owners but as PG for Toyota owners. :D

Cheers,

Snook said:
BTW, this video DO contained so many multi-violence scenes so it will be rated by Jack Valenti, the president of the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) as R for non-Toyota owners but as PG for Toyota owners.
Poor bastards, better check IDs at the door, don't want the Heep owners fainting in the theater.
:bounce: :D :bounce:

pismojim said:
I REALLY reget missing the fun with my NorCal Wagon brothers this year. :frown: Wheeling trips don't get any better in my book.

Jim, you were def missed! The guys mentioned you often. I wish I could have seen Knuckles in action over the big rocks!

Cruiserdrew said:
Seriously Brent-You're on the list already. See you there.

:eek: Not for the Rubicon. hehehe

Brentbba said:
Andrew - nope, I've got factory lockers, just not very well used. I, however, have no lift or front bumper and that would concern me more.

I think it's your trip in the May time frame that sounded more interesting to me.

Brent, I've never done the Rubicon next year I might tag along with these guys. Lets go, we can really test out the Hanna sliders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom