Norcal Wagons on the Rubicon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Biff said:
Brent, I've never done the Rubicon next year I might tag along with these guys. Lets go, we can really test out the Hanna sliders.

Not w/o a lift and front bumper on my truck and I doubt I'll have either in a year. Front bumper may be a possibility, but I doubt the lift.

Doug, how much lift do you need to do the rubicon? I have a med. 2.5 inches.

You'll find opinions will vary. I'll tell you what I've done.

My first trip I ran it with OME heavies (2.5") and 285/75 R16 MTRs. ARB front, Slee rear, sliders, tcase skid.

My second trip, I had the exact same set up.

This last trip, the only change (aside from ditching the flares and panels) was that I now have 315/75 R16 MTRs.

I was, without a doubt, the "lowrider 80" of the group on this trip. I banged my sliders and bumpers a ton.

With more lift, I would've hit the bumpers/sliders much less. But, on the plus side of having a lower center of gravity, there was some tippy stuff that I handled with relative ease as compared to an 80 with 6" springs.

Call me chicken, but so long as this truck is my daily driver............. :princess:

I'll wait for the video and pics at SnT and live vicariously!

Serious question tho, compare Moab to Rubicon for those of you that have done both.

Brentbba said:
Call me chicken, but so long as this truck is my daily driver............. :princess:

I'll wait for the video and pics at SnT and live vicariously!

Serious question tho, compare Moab to Rubicon for those of you that have done both.
Tough to compare. Depends on the trail(s) in question at Moab.
Comparing the trails I've done at Moab -- Hell's Revenge (including Hell's Gate), Golden Spike (which includes Poison Spider Mesa and Gold Bar) vs. the Rubicon; Moab is a cake walk.

This is not to say that there are no super tough trails in Moab -- there are. I just haven't taken my rig on them. Those who have done tougher Moab trails and the Rubicon may have a different opionion.
I don't think I'll take my 80 on the super-tough Moab trails as long as I have to drive it 900 miles back home. I'm sure I'll end up trailering it out there some day though... :D

The style of wheeling is different too, so that makes it difficult to compare, IMO. The trails (I've been on) in Moab allow for an occasional break in concentration -- you can just drive without thinking too hard. In my experience, on the Rubicon, the one time you lose concentration is the time that you'll get hung up on something.

There's stuff you can do at Moab w/o a lift, but I'd highly suggest at least a 2.5" if you really want to have fun.

One more thing Brent -- you are a :princess:. My rig is my daily driver too :D

Brentbba said:

Brent,

Both places have their different challenges. While Moab in general is about open spaces, steep climbs and ledges. Rubicon is more about tight squeezes, loose rocks & tippy situations. Rubicon does have some Moab like features, like the alligator pit and the slabs. But that is the easier part of the trail.

The Rubicon is an unforgiving trail, where a mistake can cost you $$$$. But at the same time, most of the damage we have seen on the 80s we have taken through the trail has been minor. If you don't feel comfortable with damage to your rig, don't bring it to the Rubicon, no one is going to call you chicken (at least to your face).

Regards

Alvaro

True.
You do the Rubicon, you need to expect damage -- body or otherwise.
If you're lucky enough to escape without damage, then great.

In all honesty, no one would be called a :princess: or a chicken for not wanting to take their rig through. It's not for everyone.

The hood's nice tho........:D

Brent and Biff, here's my $0.02 as a total newbie:

I took my 2nd Gen 4runner through and made it start to finish. My rig was very underprepared for the trail- stock transfer case gears, POS IFS lift system and a POS rear lift to match. I banged and scraped the entire way, and the crew stacked quite a few rocks for myself and a couple others to "ramp" over.

The damage to my truck was a bit overstated:
- I put a small crease in the passenger fender when I stopped concentrating and kissed a tree.
- I broke the rear ls tailight and put a medium dent in the rear qtr panel when I got hung up over a pinch situation. DCLee strapped me back off the rock 3 times, the 4th attempt 3 guys were behind me pushing and I punched it.
-I broke the drivers door glass and put a medium size dent in teh door. This was due to trying to climb Cadillac Hill in 2wd. One of my hubs came unlocked and I didn't know it.
-The bumpers got trashed, but they were dented to begin with and I already planned on replacing them. I just didn't get around to bending up the tubing to make new ones before the trip.
-Something is screwed up in my alignment...the POS IFS system essentially slipped in the mounts and caused the alignment to go outta wack, thus necessitating trailering the truck home.

So of 3 outta 5 of these, if you focus and are reasonably lucky, these won't or can't happen to you in your 80's. No hubs, no POS mini truck/4runner IFS, auto tranny to compensate for lack of low gears in the transfer case, etc. The rest were stupid mistakes you can avoid.

Even with the carnage and 2.5 days of white knuckled driving I am totally addicted and am plotting how to get my truck in better trail shape for next year.

Andy, Doug, Alvaro, Ernie, Brett, Derek, etc really took the time to spot me through and help me take careful lines. I'm sure they'll do the same for you.

Get some bumpers on and drive up North. You won't regret it.

Nice comparisons and feedback - didn't mean to hijack your thread Alvaro.

txkndu said:
Victor, I went to a local one near my house in the Angeles National Forest near Rohwer Flats. Did not finish it though since I had to pick up the kids at school. Recommended by Mike (clownmidget). FirstToy also went up there awhile back as seen in his link to his photo album.

I've been to Rowher Flats, almost ran FirstToy over at the begining of the trail. :doh: forgot to put my rig in 4low-rookie mistake. The rest of the trail was pretty cool though.

txkndu said:
My schedule is pretty much tied to my kids so its hard to hook up with people. But WTF, if ever any of you local 80 owners/4runners (FirstToy and crew) in Socal go on a trail - please PM! I would like to go if I can arrange it ahead of time. Thanks, Joe.

Same here only substitue golf for kids. :D

txkndu said:
You are a lucky man Brent! :)

Well, my kids are older now and typically sleep in....read, I get home from an 8:00 am tee time about the same time they get up on weekends! :D

That, and the Sunday round is hit and giggle with the wife. hehehe :flamingo: :princess:

Brentbba said:
hit and giggle with the wife

I do the same thing but its usually at night and she has to be in the mood:D

Geeeez,

You married guys are making me sick!

TX you’re always welcome on any trail rides, I'm really psyched that the So Cal crew is growing in numbers, should be a fun get together at SnT

Count me in if i'm invited....I'm down for the Con next year

-Matt

AMMO said:

Count me in if i'm invited....I'm down for the Con next year

-Matt
Will do :D

Drove up to Jays yesterday ( Sat) to see a preview of the Video - All I can say is Andy you are one smart dude for bringing the 40 ;) That is one Mother of a trip ! Just the food menu alone makes the body damage worth it. You Norcal guys rock!

be there next year for sure ...- see you on the beach at Pismo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom