Noob intro - Hi đź‘‹ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chances are Scotland is pretty flat
Seriously..... and now I know why people in other countries think us Americans are ignorant lol.

Google earth Scotland. It looks beautiful with lots of mtn's & fjords. Now, whether or not you can drive on the mtn's, that is a different question.

Seriously..... and now I know why people in other countries think us Americans are ignorant lol.

Google earth Scotland. It looks beautiful with lots of mtn's & fjords. Now, whether or not you can drive on the mtn's, that is a different question.
I’m sure it has plenty of mountains but considering the highest pass is 2900’ there and probably a county road at best you can get to in a 2WD VW, I’m not getting your point. That has nothing to do with where he can take his 80 and any need for any kind of lift at all. Never been there and I’m sure its great but doesn’t change my opinion on a direction he should take on his 80. Andy kind of modification for heavy offroad use in his case seems to me to be for show and nothing more.
Being from the other side of these pile of rocks to the west from me I would think you would get my point. :meh:
I gain about 3K in elevation before I even get to the good trails. No science behind it but when I think of Scotland I don’t have any vision any epic trails or passes, just an opinion and yes we probably all are ignorant in many ways, no dispute there.

I’m sure it has plenty of mountains but considering the highest pass is 2900’ there and probably a county road at best you can get to in a 2WD VW, I’m not getting your point. That has nothing to do with where he can take his 80 and any need for any kind of lift at all. Never been there and I’m sure its great but doesn’t change my opinion on a direction he should take on his 80. Andy kind of modification for heavy offroad use in his case seems to me to be for show and nothing more.
Being from the other side of these pile of rocks to the west from me I would think you would get my point. :meh:
I gain about 3K in elevation before I even get to the good trails. No science behind it but when I think of Scotland I don’t have any vision any epic trails or passes, just an opinion and yes we probably all are ignorant in many ways, no dispute there.

Yeah your right, I get your point.

But let's not forget that a lift and subsequently the bigger tires that follow a lift, have lots of advantages besides ground clearance for gnarly rocky trails. For instance flotation in snow, mud, and sand. I imagine Scottland has plenty of muddy bogs and tundra type terrain. Also, don't forget about a smoother ride offroad. Half the reason I run 315's is to help smooth out all the wash board whenever I go poser offroading.

Heck, I think in all honesty probably about 80% of the built 80's in america are used for overlanding.... overlanding to the coffee shop.

And even if someone wants to build their 80 just so they look cool and can post lot's of pictures on their instagram, I am okay with that because freedom is all about the pursuit of happiness.

@High Lander Sweet rig and lovely colour. Where in the highlands are you located? I lived in Glasgow for a few years and spent as much time as i could in the Cairngorms and Speyside (for obvious reasons).
Regarding the tyres, stay clear of mud terrain if you plan on much tarmac driving. MTs are just crap in the wet and lets face it unless you're in the north east your gonna see a lot of rain. ATs are significantly quiet - i made this change last year and don't regret it.

Highlands of Scotland definitely aren't flat, but by USA standards our mountains aren't that big. We have some of the oldest mountains on the planet and they've been rubbed down a wee bit over the last 3000 million years (not a typo)

You're right, I don't have any interest in jacking up the suspension or rock crawling. This is my daily driver and a family car. Will spend the vast majority of its time on the tarmac. But 4x4 definitely useful up here in the back country. Also planning on getting a RIB so a tow vehicle which can drive down the beach was part of the spec.

I'm planning to upgrade electronics to some degree, maybe put a bullbar on the front and keep everything else OEM.

Cheers!

@High Lander Sweet rig and lovely colour. Where in the highlands are you located? I lived in Glasgow for a few years and spent as much time as i could in the Cairngorms and Speyside (for obvious reasons).
Regarding the tyres, stay clear of mud terrain if you plan on much tarmac driving. MTs are just crap in the wet and lets face it unless you're in the north east your gonna see a lot of rain. ATs are significantly quiet - i made this change last year and don't regret it.
Thanks! I'm in Inverness but from West Highland originally.

I'm keeping the off roads on for now despite the racket, mostly because I've spent an awful lot of money this year and my business has been shut since December. But aye, I think AT's are the way to go. I'm going to look into Vegas' suggestion of the 285/75/16 option

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom