Non-welding interior tire storage option (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm not a welder, and the mudder who made the one that I wanted to buy isn't currently making them, so...

I bought some 3/4" thick-walled PVC pipe and fittings at Home Depot for $26.00 and made a frame to go in between the tire and the window and over the tire hump. The "front" of the tire (285/75R16) rests against the back of seat, and I used a tire chock (that I already had) on the "back." Then, I took two straps (that I also already had) and attached one end of each one to the 3rd row seat bracket on the tire hump, criss crossed them, and attached the other ends to the seat brackets in the floor.

When I tighten the straps it pulls the tire down, and up against the PVC frame also. The straps keep the tire from tipping to the driver's side, and the frame keeps the tire from tipping to the passenger side. I built the frame so that the outside horizontal pipe is resting against the metal window frame and not the glass above it or the plastic interior cladding below it.

I'm not a hard-core wheeler, but I do bounce her around a bit. I've got a three-day riding trip this weekend, so I'll know by Monday afternoon at the latest how well this set-up works.
20161012_093454_resized.jpg
20161012_093501_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Slee makes a mount in the area you have yours mounted. Have you checked that one out? I have one Im not using, but depending on your location, shipping may be prohibitive.

Every time I use straps to secure stuff they always come loose, but that may depend on what type of trail you plan on taking. Half measures on a trail are never a good idea IMHO.

I just got back from a three day camp/ride trip, and after moving the strap that came around the "front" of the tire (nearest the back of the seat) to directly over the top of the tire, it hasn't budged. However, on the way home I was visualizing in my mind the tire laying flat with a platform over top of it.

I think I understand how it is mounted, but assure you are not reliant and the PVC act as support. Imagine an accident. Will the straps hold it in place, w/o the PVC, for the most part? PVC makes great shrapnel; would not want to hurt those leather seats (or your epidermis).

Bax454 just painted a likely scenario in the event you get in an auto collision. safety 1st, secure that 50lb 35in cannon ball or get it out of there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom