No Power Steering Still After Pump And Gear Box Replaced? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after a short wheeling trip a while back with the front locker engaged(and 38's), my 97 has had no assistance from the PS.

I have(finally) replaced the pump, installed an overkill cooler, and even replaced the gear box. STILL no PS?

Also filled with new Royal Purple fluid.

I am stumped. No noise, no whining, no bubbles in the res. Turn the steering wheel lock to lock with tires off ground, no binding.

Just no help from PS.

While I am reading every PS thread I can find here, I figured why not ask for some more direction.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Reading your post and what you own, I think you know what you're doing. I say the pump is NFG, or a line is blocked?
Check valve? air in cooler? fluid should be swirling in reservoir at idle. I would start cracking open some fittings and looking for pressure. That pump should whine and be a pain to quiet down, mine took three days to bleed out and shut-up.

Reading your post and what you own, I think you know what you're doing. I say the pump is NFG, or a line is blocked?
Check valve? air in cooler? fluid should be swirling in reservoir at idle. I would start cracking open some fittings and looking for pressure. That pump should whine and be a pain to quiet down, mine took three days to bleed out and shut-up.

Thanks!

Yesterday, I couldnt even spell mechanic, dont let all these old junk Toyotas fool you. ;) I work in a sales office, backyard butcher after 5. :D

Posted on my hometown 4x4 board, and they also think blockage.

I am picking up a new high pressure line at lunch, going to blow out the return line when I install the pressure hose. And clean that screen dealio in the res. Wish me luck. :cheers:

The bleeding procedure requires that the engine be 'off' - not running. Be sure to bleed it under that condition. I replaced my pump, and had zero boost until I did a proper bleeding.

I have a similar problem with a 2wd T100. I replace the high pressure hose, ps pump and fluid. I had a mechanic replace the rack and pinion because the mounts were worn out. It's still hard to steer in fact there's no assist at all. I've read where you should lift the front wheels while bleeding the system (cranking the wheels from side to side) but the guy just kept filling until the air bubbles went away.

I'll re-fliush the system with the wheels up with the return line going into a container. I did this with the old rack with no improved result. Could there be some blockage in the system? The high pressure line goes to an ABS unit first then to the R&P.

Another fact, when I crank the wheel all the way (right or left) it doesn't make the usual squealing noise. It just sort of hits the stop and doesn't do much else.

Any suggestions I haven't tried?

thanks,

dave

The PS Pump is run off the oil pump via a gear and shaft internal to the motor (sort of like a mechanical dizzy on a SB Chevy). The gear could be bad, the shaft could be bad, the oil pump could be bad or under performing.

When my pump started leaking like a sieve, I first had it rebuilt, then that blew up again, then replaced the pump with a new one, that was still making weird clicking noises (but still assisted) so we replaced the gear and all was fine. The gear is the last thing you can get to before opening up the front of the motor (oil pump cover)
so I was glad it solved before then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom